Tacoma JBL Flex Speaker

Beninbeta

2 Questions on the JBL Flex Speaker
1. What do people think of this feature overall? The ability to have a removable bluetooth speaker that integrates with your stereo system? Is this something people would want and should it be part of a package or more of an add-on accessory? If you get the upgraded system, you get this speaker.
2. Tim, there is a good deal of concern that this will be a thief magnet. I was wondering if you know or can find out from Toyota if this speaker locks into place when the vehicle is locked. Thereby negating the ability for a thief to steal the speaker? Sure you can take it out an put it in your center console or glove box or whatever, but if it locked in place when the truck is locked, that would be the best case scenario.

1704813910763.png

2 Questions on the JBL Flex Speaker
1. What do people think of this feature overall? The ability to have a removable bluetooth speaker that integrates with your stereo system? Is this something people would want and should it be part of a package or more of an add-on accessory? If you get the upgraded system, you get this speaker.
2. Tim, there is a good deal of concern that this will be a thief magnet. I was wondering if you know or can find out from Toyota if this speaker locks into place when the vehicle is locked. Thereby negating the ability for a thief to steal the speaker? Sure you can take it out an put it in your center console or glove box or whatever, but if it locked in place when the truck is locked, that would be the best case scenario.

View attachment 86
Jill thinks it is cool, I think it is a forgettable gimmick. Agreeably I don’t listen to much often outside. I think it just matters to the person.

On the other question for locking, it pops in and pops out. I didn’t see any locking mechanism. I do wonder if the doors are locked, why would you need the speaker to be locked as well to prevent theft? Seems redundant to me.

Jill thinks it is cool, I think it is a forgettable gimmick. Agreeably I don’t listen to much often outside. I think it just matters to the person.

On the other question for locking, it pops in and pops out. I didn’t see any locking mechanism. I do wonder if the doors are locked, why would you need the speaker to be locked as well to prevent theft? Seems redundant to me.
So my thought on it locking in place would be it would prevent people from wanting to break in an take it. If it's locked in place, it wouldn't be worth breaking in and thieves figure those things out. Like the Kia/Hyundai vehicles. If you can break a window and press a button to get it out in 2 seconds, it makes Tacomas more likely to be broken into if that makes sense.

So my thought on it locking in place would be it would prevent people from wanting to break in a take it. If it's locked in place, it wouldn't be worth breaking in and thieves figure those things out. Like the Kia/Hyundai vehicles. If you can break a window and press a button to get it out in 2 seconds, it makes Tacomas more likely to be broken into if that makes sense.
I suppose. It looks like it is part of the truck and not something you can just pop out. I mean, you’d have to have a pretty knowledgeable thief to A. Know what they are looking at and B. Have a place to sell the speaker and that place has a plan to how to charge it. I mean it is pretty useless if you don’t have the charging setup.

It can be charged via USB-C too. Owner's manual image below. I get you have to know about it, so you don't need to connect it to the truck to charge it or use it. Anyway it seems like a small problem, if you have ever seen any of the videos of what takes place every day in places like San Francisco to know thieves will take anything they can sell. And again look at what happened with the auto thefts of Kia and Hyundai just from Tik Tok videos.

Thanks for the conversation. I guess I'm the only one concerned about it! 😂
1000000750.png

I agree it is gimmicky. But if you think about it, it does make sense. Think about the weekend, in the driveway, working on the Taco or even just washing it. Pull this out and you will have tunes that are better than your phone. Granted, you could already have Bluetooth speaker but this one is just so much more convenient for those times. Looking at it that way, I'd use it. Much more than GM tailgate setup. Of course, the commercials will be some fantasy camping trip with lots of friends gathered around a fire.....yeah, right.

As for theft, meh. Bluetooth speakers aren't that expensive and this one is rather big and unique to the truck. Not a big concern in my eyes.

i would opt out of that speaker if that was an option. Already have bluetooth speakers that likely sound better. Also, saw one reviewer mention that the speaker got incredibly hot even when the truck wasn’t on. Not a good sign.

Gimmick.

Most people already own portable speakers and you can get a better sounding and longer lasting speaker for pretty cheap these days. Plus, I have a bad habit of losing shit like this. I wouldn't worry too much about leaving my bluetooth speaker behind at the beach after packing up the 4 kids and getting ready to go .... but if it was a part of my truck, it would really irritate me and probably lead me to not taking it out of the truck.

I agree it is gimmicky. But if you think about it, it does make sense. Think about the weekend, in the driveway, working on the Taco or even just washing it. Pull this out and you will have tunes that are better than your phone. Granted, you could already have Bluetooth speaker but this one is just so much more convenient for those times. Looking at it that way, I'd use it. Much more than GM tailgate setup. Of course, the commercials will be some fantasy camping trip with lots of friends gathered around a fire.....yeah, right.

As for theft, meh. Bluetooth speakers aren't that expensive and this one is rather big and unique to the truck. Not a big concern in my eyes.
I thought the same when I first bought my GMC but I have to say, the multi-pro flex or whatever the hell they call it is one of the best things to come on a truck in a loooong time. I use it constantly as a step and a load stop.

I thought the same when I first bought my GMC but I have to say, the multi-pro flex or whatever the hell they call it is one of the best things to come on a truck in a loooong time. I use it constantly as a step and a load stop.
Sorry, didn't mean to confuse: Not the tailgate itself but that crazy outdoor tailgate speaker set-up they offer now.

Back