Stellantis fires hundreds of engineers, tech

Something had to give. Chrysler is down to one car, dodge is down to electric cars. Jeep and Ram are what's supporting the company. Still sucks for the people that lost their job.

Tim,

Sad, Interesting news, worrisome for Stellantis?

I just watched a news report on this and was coming over to the forum to see if you guys were talking about it. I now see two threads on it! Definitely sad news for them. More casualties to outsourcing and EV development IMO. EV are simpler to build, simpler to engineer with less moving parts. I don't see this trend of downsizing engineers ending anytime soon.

I just watched a news report on this and was coming over to the forum to see if you guys were talking about it. I now see two threads on it! Definitely sad news for them. More casualties to outsourcing and EV development IMO. EV are simpler to build, simpler to engineer with less moving parts. I don't see this trend of downsizing engineers ending anytime soon.
Many companies just subcontract the engineering work because it saves them money. Not much different than manufacturing companies sending their business overseas, cheap labor.

Good mix of Stellantis employees of their Engineering and Software divisions. Basically, they make the over 400 positions vacant (under 500 so no WARN Act trigger, so very thoughtful of them).

My take is they did the necessary work for the Global Medium Engine (GME) AKA Hurricane to add two cylinders to the existing architecture and update the Engine Control systems from Bosch to reflect the added cylinders, power, etc. Could be that or the REV/Ramcharger programs. Either way, the positions go vacant and can be cut, or as the employees expressed in the Reddit, sent back to France for use there. Great interview with engineer but you have to realize Alan Falkowski, who heads the propulsion component release center had at least an inkling (probably more) that this was coming; propulsion and chassis is the lion share of the workload for purely transportation systems. Doubt they will make him available any time soon.

Just wants to make you go to the CJDR Dealer and pick up a left over '23, new '24, or order the '25. Hurricane I-6 a truck engine? Yeah, I'm sure more the truth will come out now from the displaced workers.

Last edited:
Ah, the McKinsey "We are Super Brilliant, just read our Social Media Profiles" analyst take. That mantra of simpler and cheaper was repeated in this 2020 report from the smartest people in the room:

https://www.mckinsey.com/industries...rofitability-through-reduced-structural-costs

So cost cutting it is, because the wunderkinds told it would work...Except when they are wrong (and this is an article ten years old):

https://www.equities.com/impact-investing/a-look-at-mckinsey-company-s-biggest-mistakes/

So any of those hot shot analysts around looking at the BEVs on the lot or the BEV plants idle while workers get transferred to ICE plants?

Last edited:
OEM's have a tough go right now, they have to prepare for a US election in November that can and will change they way they do business almost overnight, any OEM that took government incentives has hooks and shackles attached to the cash, they have a tough game to play in order to keep the cash, the automotive business is in an unpredictable mess right now. Currently in Ontario where VW wants to build one of the biggest battery plants in the world are dragging their feet, the prediction is it will never get built, again this is most likely because of a US election and Canadian election shortly down the road from the US going to the polls.

Who writes these articles? They weren't fired, they were laid off. Representing 2% of the workforce as they cut costs and transition to electric future.

Both Ford and GM are doing/have done the same.
If you are part of that 2 percent, it does have a whole lot of effect on your life...The McKinsey consultants are long gone and they are the result of "bright Ideas."

They are too skilled to just "learn to code."

I'm not suggesting people aren't affected, just that certain media and guys on forums are twisting the story into something that it isn't.
On the facts of the matter, you are correct. For Stellantis' leadership and their consultant-influenced planning they better hope it is...CEOs are getting easier to fire everyday for cutting corners and outsourcing work.

Back