Spare tire size

testerdahl

Administrator
Staff member
I can’t easily find the thread this question came up in, so I’m sharing it here. With regards to spare tire size via the Tacomaworld post, it was indeed a marketing mistake.

IMG_7713.jpeg

Tim,
here is the info on the TRD OR with a temp spare and one of the reasons I'm considering an upgrade to the stock tires pretty much right away: https://www.tacoma4g.com/forum/threads/not-much-room-for-a-larger-spare-tire-under-our-trucks.2262/
Toyota has a history of shipping the TRD OR and SR5 with really bad tires. On the 2nd gen that was the Dunlop, which we all called the Dunflops. They were garbage. I'm not sure of actual tire used on the new 24 but the videos I've seen it doesn't even really seem to be a "true" AT, it's usually a bastardized version of an all season or light AT. It should come with a well known name brand AT for the price. (K03, Falken Wild Peaks etc.)

Just a reminder to people that the AT tire you get on your brand new truck is usually a manufacturers version of that name brand AT created for them as a cheaper option. That's why the Duratrac's that shipped on the AT4 aren't mountain snowflake rated and wear out faster than the true Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac.

Toyota has a history of shipping the TRD OR and SR5 with really bad tires. On the 2nd gen that was the Dunlop, which we all called the Dunflops. They were garbage. I'm not sure of actual tire used on the new 24 but the videos I've seen it doesn't even really seem to be a "true" AT, it's usually a bastardized version of an all season or light AT. It should come with a well known name brand AT for the price. (K03, Falken Wild Peaks etc.)

Just a reminder to people that the AT tire you get on your brand new truck is usually a manufacturers version of that name brand AT created for them as a cheaper option. That's why the Duratrac's that shipped on the AT4 aren't mountain snowflake rated and wear out faster than the true Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac.
Yeah I believe it's a "specially developed" version of the BFG Trail Terrain TA not 3 peak rated. It looks to get fantastic mileage on the hwy. But a few dealers have not been ensuring proper inflation. 52 PSI???? It's supposed to be 30.

Yeah I believe it's a "specially developed" version of the BFG Trail Terrain TA not 3 peak rated. It looks to get fantastic mileage on the hwy. But a few dealers have not been ensuring proper inflation. 52 PSI???? It's supposed to be 30.

I watched that video last night, shocking.

The BFG Trail Terrain isn't a great AT tire to start with. I don't get why Toyota won't put a proper set of tires at least on the TRD-OR. I think part of their reason is MPG numbers. If you put a true AT tires on the 3rd Gen or 2nd Gen Tacoma it hits MPG pretty hard, even the same size, and suddenly you're right back down with the rest of the pack with MPG numbers.

I watched that video last night, shocking.

The BFG Trail Terrain isn't a great AT tire to start with. I don't get why Toyota won't put a proper set of tires at least on the TRD-OR. I think part of their reason is MPG numbers. If you put a true AT tires on the 3rd Gen or 2nd Gen Tacoma it hits MPG pretty hard, even the same size, and suddenly you're right back down with the rest of the pack with MPG numbers.

I've never known BFG Trails to be a popular tire. It was sold to those who just couldn't get the KOs.

I've never known BFG Trails to be a popular tire. It was sold to those who just couldn't get the KOs.

It's a very lightweight all terrain that hardly classifies as an all-terrain and it's not very good. In the tire rack and other reviews that I've seen it loses to everything on road and off-road.

It's a very lightweight all terrain that hardly classifies as an all-terrain and it's not very good. In the tire rack and other reviews that I've seen it loses to everything on road and off-road.
Pretty much. The way I address tires is this, if you off-road that often, get a good off-road tire. If you don't, get a good street tire. None do both well. I have KOs and Swampers for my Jeeps and Firestone Destinations on the Ram. Before these Kumhos, before that Goodyears.

Pretty much. The way I address tires is this, if you off-road that often, get a good off-road tire. If you don't, get a good street tire. None do both well. I have KOs and Swampers for my Jeeps and Firestone Destinations on the Ram. Before these Kumhos, before that Goodyears.

I started getting too far down the rabbit hole in tires with my Tacoma my first set were Hankook DynaPro ATMs, then Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac then Falken Wildpeak AT3W. Then my AT4 came with the stock GM Duratrac and now I have the Mickey Thompson Baja Boss.

Big difference between the road oriented Hankook which was fantastic and the true all-terrains or hybrid MT/AT.

I started getting too far down the rabbit hole in tires with my Tacoma my first set were Hankook DynaPro ATMs, then Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac then Falken Wildpeak AT3W. Then my AT4 came with the stock GM Duratrac and now I have the Mickey Thompson Baja Boss.

Big difference between the road oriented Hankook which was fantastic and the true all-terrains or hybrid MT/AT.
lol...yeah that can get ugly when changing tires. I remember when you could get a set of 4 around $500. Now, you are lucky to keep it under $1500.

If I make the switch right away I'm probably going with the Falken Wildpeak AT4Ws. Some balance, snow and on road, but much better off road and they have 3 ply side wall now so that would be piece of mind for me to a degree. They'll be heavier even in the same size as you pointed out @Fightnfire, but I think that's a great trade. Given how much I disliked the ride of the Bronco, I'd stick with the SL rating instead of E as well.
Discount Tire said it would be about $1113 out the door and like $1294 with their replacement plan.

If I make the switch right away I'm probably going with the Falken Wildpeak AT4Ws. Some balance, snow and on road, but much better off road and they have 3 ply side wall now so that would be piece of mind for me to a degree. They'll be heavier even in the same size as you pointed out @Fightnfire, but I think that's a great trade. Given how much I disliked the ride of the Bronco, I'd stick with the SL rating instead of E as well.
Discount Tire said it would be about $1113 out the door and like $1294 with their replacement plan.
Negotiate on that price, you can almost always get 2-3 of the replacements free and find their online compeititors with price, they'll match or beat usually.

The Falken AT3 on my Tacoma was a good tire but for some reason I wasn't getting the wear out of them I expected. I would have to look back to see how many miles I had on them when I sold it but it wasn't what I was expecting. Great all-around tire though.

Back