Son's first pickup - Ranger

Fightnfire

My oldest turns 16 in July, we've been looking for a while and finally found this for sale.

2000 Ranger XLT with tow package and 4x4 5 spd manual w/ 94,000 miles. It is in almost new condition especially inside, a couple scratches on the drivers front fender. I'll throw some more pictures up later. He's stoked, I'm happy the search is over.

Screenshot_20240507_065616_Facebook (1).jpg

The used market for compact/mid-size pickups in my area (PNW) is ridiculous. We narrowed it down to this generation Ranger, or a 1st gen Tacoma or similar year Frontier. We were able to find a couple of really nice low mile Rangers that had been well taken care of but they usually were marked sold on the same day. Happen to catch this one and the 1st person in line didn't show so it was ours.

1000020410.jpg

My oldest turns 16 in July, we've been looking for a while and finally found this for sale.

2000 Ranger XLT with tow package and 4x4 5 spd manual w/ 94,000 miles. It is in almost new condition especially inside, a couple scratches on the drivers front fender. I'll throw some more pictures up later. He's stoked, I'm happy the search is over.

Great truck for a 1st timer. Funny, I picked up an '02 Ranger for my son to take back and forth to college. It was a great all around vehicle for him. His first vehicle was a Jeep CJ-7 but that didn't do very well on the long hwy drives, lol.

Great truck for a 1st timer. Funny, I picked up an '02 Ranger for my son to take back and forth to college. It was a great all around vehicle for him. His first vehicle was a Jeep CJ-7 but that didn't do very well on the long hwy drives, lol.
So far I'm impressed. Drives great, no leaks and everything works great. According to ford this truck has a maximum tow rating of 6,000 lbs while having a curb weight of 3,600. I didn't realize the towing numbers game was in full effect in 2000 lol. I can't imagine putting more than 3k behind it. My 2009 Tacoma had a tow rating of 6,000 but was a much bigger truck and weighed about 1,000 lbs more.

Clutch burning, err teaching commences tonight.

Last edited:
My son's Ranger was the stripped single cab but it had a higher towing rating than I expected as well. We tend to forget how no one needed a 2500 to tow pop-up camper back then.

Teaching a clutch is fun!..lol I learned on a CJ so that's what I used to teach my son. Hard to break and geared so low he could dump it and not stall. Now he drives a '23 Taco 6-spd.

That’s a great find. Especially with the manual transmission. I owned 2 smaller trucks with manuals. The first was a gutless B2000 Mazda and the 2nd was an S10 ZR2. I gave my brother the Mazda and I sold the S10. I regret not keeping the S10.

Back