Some Taco Software Quirks and First Impressions

Beninbeta

I haven't had a lot of time to get behind the wheel, but I have some initial thoughts and ran into some software stuff that I think will get ironed out, but it is strange.

I posted in Tacoma4G too and one person said they have not had issues with the key, but did with the Android Auto/Carplay not connecting sometimes. I think I'll remove it and try again from the beginning, but it is part of a subscription and I'm not sure if I'd keep it after the trial is up in a year. I don't really remote start my vehicles. Heated seats and a steering wheel are enough for me!

I haven't had a lot of time to get behind the wheel, but I have some initial thoughts and ran into some software stuff that I think will get ironed out, but it is strange.
Great first drive video. Yeah, it seems to have latency issues in app driven features and not as quick as Tesla (my child had a Tesla 3 AWD Dual Motor for about two years before trading it for a Land Cruiser).

Like the growl of the 2.4 on acceleration, not really coarse as I thought it would be, nice timbre.

Looking forward to the DIY detail series. Had good and bad luck with Stoner glass cleaner, interested to see your prep techniques.

Main question is handling and "handiness" as a mid-size.

Looking forward to more, just don't use a thumbnail biting your nails😆

Thanks I appreciate the view and comments! I filmed part of the snow video tonight, I'm hoping it turns out ok, I don't have a lot of time to show how the current tires are as the new ones are being put on in the morning. I did a slow start and fast start in 2 and 4 hi and a couple of brakes tests. We only ended up with about 4-5 inches when I filmed tonight, but it's snowing again. But it was wet heavy snow so I packed it down some too, which made it a little more slippery. The Trail Terrains are ok, but I'm hoping the AT4Ws are better or I guess I wasted some $$$. LOL.

On the growl, that is pumped in by the sound system. So you'll get to hear those outside truck hear of the exhaust. I know i'm in the minority here, but I love that they give you a little noise in the cabin. What would be super cool is if you could tune it to how you wanted it to sound. What I love about this is I really dislike having to listen to people with ridiculous exhaust systems who think there all that and a bag of chips, but just sound awful and it's super loud. I'm getting old and I like the quiet. 👴:ROFLMAO:

Had good and bad luck with Stoner glass cleaner
What has been bad with Stoner for you and what else do you use? I have found that the rags are really important to getting the best results with Stoner. In fact I ended up using two different rags on the Taco windows. I have some that are supposed to be good on glass, but they keep leaving particles on the glass. The other Rags I use that are more waffle weave don't do that.

I forgot to ask and didn't see it in your videos....what does the door jam sticker say for your payload?

It's 1200, with a seperate sticker that says my payload has been reduced by like 30 pounds do to accessories, but I don't know what those would be compared to others with the exact same truck and accessories? So I'm confused by that as well. I hope Tim is able to get some clarification on how some models that are heavier have the same or more payload than others.

It's 1200, with a seperate sticker that says my payload has been reduced by like 30 pounds do to accessories, but I don't know what those would be compared to others with the exact same truck and accessories? So I'm confused by that as well. I hope Tim is able to get some clarification on how some models that are heavier have the same or more payload than others.
Alot of Tacos have a sticker like that, my 2009 did as well and it was factory stock so I'm not sure where the need for an additional reduction and sticker came from. Seems to be a Toyota/Tacoma thing. How do you feel about the 1,200? It's a little disappointing to me, I would have expected better. (1,300+)

As for the Carplay/Android Auto issue, I think that's pretty normal for the wireless setups. My truck would fail to connect every once in a while when I first got it but they improved it with updates to both the infotainment and android auto. Now, I haven't had a fail to connect in months.

I'm curious about your rags lol, I've gone through a ton of choices over the last couple of years and so many either leave residue or streak when drying my truck. They also fall apart fast. I have had better luck with waffles from the streaking and residue standpoint but they fall apart the fastest on me.

I pretty much knew that was going to be 1200 after a few people started getting theirs. I was hoping for 1400 and the new Ranger seems pretty good at like 1500 which is awesome. But 1200 is just enough for our trips so it should be fine.

Android Auto has been better today and anything software can be fixed with updates as you said so as long as I can drive my vehicle I'm good.

With the glass rags I use Rag Company for pretty much everything: https://amzn.to/4a6NoyM (These are affiliate links, use it or not it doesn't cost you anything, but it's fine if you don't too)

I've been using Dry Me A River for drying and that have worked well and held up pretty well too: https://amzn.to/4cjNFQM

But I'm going to try this one from DIYDetail with the Taco: https://diydetail.com/collections/towels-wash-mitts/products/drying-towel. (Not an affiliate link)

It is very important that you wash rags for different purposes separately so once rag doesn't absorb things from the others. It took me a bit to figure that out, but now these towels don't seem to have that issue of leaving stuff behind with the stoner.

What has been bad with Stoner for you and what else do you use? I have found that the rags are really important to getting the best results with Stoner. In fact I ended up using two different rags on the Taco windows. I have some that are supposed to be good on glass, but they keep leaving particles on the glass. The other Rags I use that are more waffle weave don't do that.
Yeah, mostly some old newspaper, than tried some newer rags...Was using Rain X cleaner last, not great.

I will have to use the those rags you recommend, my glass is the hard one to clean, especially inside.

Yeah, mostly some old newspaper, than tried some newer rags...Was using Rain X cleaner last, not great.

I will have to use the those rags you recommend, my glass is the hard one to clean, especially inside.
Inside is always hard if you leave any streaks. I think they'll work well, but me know either way. I'd love to get more options.

It is interesting you brought up the digital key. For me, it really shows how we all view vehicles differently. I don’t think I’ve ever said one vehicle has it or another doesn’t. It is literally the last thing I would ever think about with a truck. Heck, I don’t think I’ve even ever used a digital key. Maybe I just have too many trust concerns with technology or I just don’t care that much about tech. That’s why Jill is such a necessary counterpart since she often geeks out over the latest technology.

It is interesting you brought up the digital key. For me, it really shows how we all view vehicles differently. I don’t think I’ve ever said one vehicle has it or another doesn’t. It is literally the last thing I would ever think about with a truck. Heck, I don’t think I’ve even ever used a digital key. Maybe I just have too many trust concerns with technology or I just don’t care that much about tech. That’s why Jill is such a necessary counterpart since she often geeks out over the latest technology.
Yeah, I think it's very much like heated seats or remote start, lumbar. Whatever feature you tried and beforehand and you thought was a gimmick and then really don't want to live without. The Tesla key system is really that good.

It's good because it's not part of a subscription. I actually removed the digital key from the Toyota because, in order to work your phone has to communicate with servers. So you go to a part of town that has bad cell coverage and you can't get into your car or start it. It definitely won't work in the 🏔️. Toyota did a poor job on the design.

That being said, the wallet key is basically like the phone key on the Tesla. I rarely leave the house my wallet so it'll be great. It's a little big, but it got my to remove a few unneeded items from my wallet. I mostly pay with my phone anyway, so I'd don't need much.

Anyway it is great that you have more than one opinion on many of the vehicles. Everybody looks for something just a little different.

I pretty much knew that was going to be 1200 after a few people started getting theirs. I was hoping for 1400 and the new Ranger seems pretty good at like 1500 which is awesome. But 1200 is just enough for our trips so it should be fine.

Android Auto has been better today and anything software can be fixed with updates as you said so as long as I can drive my vehicle I'm good.

With the glass rags I use Rag Company for pretty much everything: https://amzn.to/4a6NoyM (These are affiliate links, use it or not it doesn't cost you anything, but it's fine if you don't too)

I've been using Dry Me A River for drying and that have worked well and held up pretty well too: https://amzn.to/4cjNFQM

But I'm going to try this one from DIYDetail with the Taco: https://diydetail.com/collections/towels-wash-mitts/products/drying-towel. (Not an affiliate link)

It is very important that you wash rags for different purposes separately so once rag doesn't absorb things from the others. It took me a bit to figure that out, but now these towels don't seem to have that issue of leaving stuff behind with the stoner.
For the Pickup truck enthusiasts (there are a significant number of folks who count themselves as one), capabilities concerning payload, tow rating, off-road, etc. matters...And enthusiast numbers are growing. However, in the private owner consumer space, enthusiasts are vastly outnumbered by the casual owner who drives around with an empty bed, thinks payload means if it fits in the bed you can haul it (when they seldom use their bed), couldn't find the payload sticker unless someone helped them find it, and tow based on if the vehicle can start moving after hooking something up...The demand signal is there for increased payload, towing, etc. but in the engineering trade space for the #1 Lifestyle Truck in America, the priority is outweighed by the need to incorporate the features the more casual aspiring buyers desire. In Tacoma's market space, the competitors are trying to compete with Tacoma's image and capabilities for the sales. This 2023 GMC Canyon AT4X Edition 1 was at the local dealer. It has a whopping payload capacity of 1010lbs!

IMG_4947.jpg

For the Pickup truck enthusiasts (there are a significant number of folks who count themselves as one), capabilities concerning payload, tow rating, off-road, etc. matters...And enthusiast numbers are growing. However, in the private owner consumer space, enthusiasts are vastly outnumbered by the casual owner who drives around with an empty bed, thinks payload means if it fits in the bed you can haul it (when they seldom use their bed), couldn't find the payload sticker unless someone helped them find it, and tow based on if the vehicle can start moving after hooking something up...The demand signal is there for increased payload, towing, etc. but in the engineering trade space for the #1 Lifestyle Truck in America, the priority is outweighed by the need to incorporate the features the more casual aspiring buyers desire. In Tacoma's market space, the competitors are trying to compete with Tacoma's image and capabilities for the sales. This 2023 GMC Canyon AT4X Edition 1 was at the local dealer. It has a whopping payload capacity of 1010lbs!

View attachment 303

I would say a thousand pounds ish is expected on the extreme off-road top of the line truck from any manu but the TRD relatively base optioned Tacoma is by no means that. The AT4x has steel bumpers, a winch, a ton of extra stamped steel skid plates, actual rock sliders and bigger wheels and tires.

If you put all that on a TRD OR the useable leftover payload would be 700ish lbs. Probably less. The similarly equipped GM is closer to 1,500 payload.

I would say a thousand pounds ish is expected on the extreme off-road top of the line truck from any manu but the TRD relatively base optioned Tacoma is by no means that. The AT4x has steel bumpers, a winch, a ton of extra stamped steel skid plates, actual rock sliders and bigger wheels and tires.

If you put all that on a TRD OR the useable leftover payload would be 700ish lbs. Probably less. The similarly equipped GM is closer to 1,500 payload.
Great points that show GM's capability development in payload; they prioritized it in formulating the tradespace models in their capabilities development program the was implemented in response to requirements . These requirements may come from marketing, a whole LOT are regulatory, new product innovations, with internal, supplier or vendor input too, or maybe from analytics of current or aspirational customers. However, GM, in modernizing and modifying the 31XX to the Dash Two configuration were faced with a whole lot of tradesoffs they had to engineer. In order to fit the 2.7 Turbo and give it enough space for thermal management, they had to increase wheelbase to roughly the same as the 2024 Tacoma, while reducing back seat passenger space to keep it from exceeding the Tacoma's wheelbase and thus being less handy. They also were limited to one body configuration and one rear suspension set up (leaf springs). Toyota's capabilities trade space was again guided by requirements, which appear to have been driven by the lifestyle truck mantra: Different bed lengths for extended toys, extended cab, i.e. a "less family car" look for the sportier vehicle buyer, and coil springs on some trims for a better ride. Toyota appears to have engineered for the buyer who needs their vehicle to not cube out with their toys that are mostly lighter in nature...Thus making payload a lower priority in the tradespace process.

Back