Silverado 3500HD Oil Life

macdragster

I own a 2024 Silverado 3500 HD dually diesel which I bought in September 2023. This is a secondary "Fun" vehicle which has only 282 miles after about 7 months since this was bought. The only issue per se is that the oil life meter is at 38% after less than 300 miles ! The highest I remember it to be was about 85% around the time I bought it. Went to the dealer today and they claimed not only your usage will influence the oil life but also "Time" - as in the passage of time ! They also said if you were to park the truck for a year the oil life would drop to zero without the truck ever moving ! To me this sounds crazy. Anybody else hear of this ? Maybe all newer vehicles have this issue but people never see this due to the constant use.

Depending on the vehicle and the conditions experienced, the oil in a GMC may not need to be changed for up to 7,500 miles or a year.

Based on data collected over decades of extensive powertrain testing, GM engineers have developed sophisticated algorithms that reflect how time, engine speeds, engine temperatures, load, and other factors affect oil life. By plugging in real-world data for those variables, the Oil Life Monitor can accurately calculate when an oil change is needed and display the remaining oil life within the Driver Information Center.

I own a 2024 Silverado 3500 HD dually diesel which I bought in September 2023. This is a secondary "Fun" vehicle which has only 282 miles after about 7 months since this was bought. The only issue per se is that the oil life meter is at 38% after less than 300 miles ! The highest I remember it to be was about 85% around the time I bought it. Went to the dealer today and they claimed not only your usage will influence the oil life but also "Time" - as in the passage of time ! They also said if you were to park the truck for a year the oil life would drop to zero without the truck ever moving ! To me this sounds crazy. Anybody else hear of this ? Maybe all newer vehicles have this issue but people never see this due to the constant use.
It reminds of everything today with an expiration date. My assumption, I'm no oil scientist, is the chemical compounds of synthetic oils will break down over time as well as wear. The oil life sensor can read the quality of the oil and if it sits for an extended period, I'd assume the oil would go "bad" much like a twinkie.

A common question, "If I don't drive it, why do I have to change it?". Simply, oxidation breaks it and its additives down. Sitting on the shelf in the parts store is one thing but in the engine is another. Modern engines are so particular about chemistry of oil, it matters much more now than years ago.

The oil additive package specific to each oil is what degrades over time. Pull an oil sample and have it tested.

Back