Recalls and reliability

kevfranco

Hi forum members,

I listened last night to the video Tim did on the 2.7 ecoboost engine recall. It got me thinking about the importance of reliability in trucks. I'm concerned about buying a truck that could potentially have a lot of recalls and issues. I'm aware that it's practically impossible to buy a truck and not ever have any recalls. Recalls are part of the vehicle industry and recalls are not always a a big concern. Some recalls are minor but some are major. With that being said, I would like to have your opinions on what you think is the half ton truck currently on the market that has the least recalls (minor or major) and that seems to be the most reliable.

What half ton truck would you buy in 2024 if reliability Is the most important thing?

Toyota Tundra has had the reputation to be the most reliable truck for a lot of years.

Do you think that the Tundra is still currently the most reliable truck on the market knowing that there has recently been a huge recall on the engine and a lot of engines had to be replaced?

Thanks and I'm looking forward to read what you all have to say.

Kevin

Hi forum members,

I listened last night to the video Tim did on the 2.7 ecoboost engine recall. It got me thinking about the importance of reliability in trucks. I'm concerned about buying a truck that could potentially have a lot of recalls and issues. I'm aware that it's practically impossible to buy a truck and not ever have any recalls. Recalls are part of the vehicle industry and recalls are not always a a big concern. Some recalls are minor but some are major. With that being said, I would like to have your opinions on what you think is the half ton truck currently on the market that has the least recalls (minor or major) and that seems to be the most reliable.

What half ton truck would you buy in 2024 if reliability Is the most important thing?

Toyota Tundra has had the reputation to be the most reliable truck for a lot of years.

Do you think that the Tundra is still currently the most reliable truck on the market knowing that there has recently been a huge recall on the engine and a lot of engines had to be replaced?

Kevin
Welcome. There are more things wrong with the Tundra than just the engine. I bought a 2023 GMC SIERRA 1500 SLT with the LZ0 3 liter diesel and have put over 15,000 trouble free miles on it. There was one recall for a software update. If you scan the subtopic GMC SIERRA in this forum there is more information there about this truck. I can’t provide any other hands on experience with other truck manufacturers but other truck owners on this forum can. Best of luck.

Hi forum members,

Kevin
Personally, I wouldn't buy a new Tundra if someone gave me the money to do it. I'd recommend buying a used truck that's had some time for people to determine if it is actually reliable. New trucks are also wildly over priced right now even with the discounts.

Welcome. There are more things wrong with the Tundra than just the engine. I bought a 2023 GMC SIERRA 1500 SLT with the LZ0 3 liter diesel and have put over 15,000 trouble free miles on it. There was one recall for a software update. If you scan the subtopic GMC SIERRA in this forum there is more information there about this truck. I can’t provide any other hands on experience with other truck manufacturers but other truck owners on this forum can. Best of luck.
Thanks for the reply!! My father has a 2021 silverado with the 6.2. He has around 37000 miles and has had no issues with the truck. It seems to be a very reliable truck.

Personally, I wouldn't buy a new Tundra if someone gave me the money to do it. I'd recommend buying a used truck that's had some time for people to determine if it is actually reliable. New trucks are also wildly over priced right now even with the discounts.
I agree. Truck prices are crazy these days!!

I use to say I don't really think you can go wrong, and I still mostly believe that but I also wouldn't own a Tundra or one of the new RAM's yet. For me, I need to see the new engine in the RAM for a little while before jumping in. I personally feel the most reliable today is one of the GM's. If you can still find any on the lots the 5.7 hemi RAM would be right there with GM. Ford quality seems to really be struggling as of late but I don't think that would totally deter me from picking up a 3.5 ecoboost.

I`d go with anything but the Tundra and Ram. Give a little more time to see how the Hurricane pans out and well Toyota is still producing duds and the engine is not the only issue with that trucks as others have mentioned. Fit and finish is poor especially compare to the competitions.

Ford: Nice lineup, lots of QC issues lately and watch out for that 10 speed transmission.
GMC/Chevrolet: Pretty good but there seems to be something wrong with the electrical lately. All of my friends and family that have bought a 1500 or a Colorado in the past couple of months have had major electrical issues. It even left my buddy with his brand new colorado ZR2, 500 miles on the odo, stranded in the wood. They didn't install the wire harness correctly and it melted on the turbo. My uncle lights were going crazy on his truck and would not shut off even when the truck was off. My other uncle, the passenger front flasher would periodically turn on even when the truck was off. Just the left front, not even the front and rear lol.
Ram: Nice truck, transmission is buttery smooth, but the engine is an unknown.

Between all of the choices above, and I had to buy brand new, I'd go with a F-150 2.7 or 5.0, transmission be damn as they keep releasing updates for it, or a GMC with the 6.2 or 3.0l diesel. If the electronics behave in the GMC, you have a hell of a nice truck.

Currently, it's pretty tough to answer. Seems every brand has some issues. GM has been rife with electrical issues up and down the sizes. Ford always has a large number of recalls. Toyota has had obvious issues as well. The Ram is a new design, but the engine has been out for a while in the Jeep. I really don't think there is a safe and secure choice right now. It's really a crapshoot. For full-size right now, I'd probably get the last of the Ram Classics. The design is so old and basic, it's pretty damn dependable. Just won't have any modern features but that may be a good thing for reliability.

You can’t buy what doesn’t exist. A no issue Truck. So you have to make your choices from some hard and some anecdotal evidence.

22+ tundra: Serious Engine issues. Unknown whether it’s been resolved 24 forward.
21+ F150’s: Problems all around that still remain unresolved in 2024. Broken AC, Electronic gremlins, infotainment problems.
Ram: Dunno, I never consider them. All my friends with them have so many problems.
Chev/GM: I never considered them, though, if I needed a full size, but Not HD, I’d probably check them out.

Midsize:
Ranger: My last impression of the ranger was that it wasn’t a very good looking truck, imo.
Tacoma: Solid through 23, 24’s mostly ok, some issues.
Colorado/Canyon: Like, but not for me.
Nissan: just LOL.

Pricing:Overall all to expensive, however, My 496xx TRD OR with upgrade package & spray on bed liner cost me 9100 more than my daughters 2022 Tacoma 4x2 SR, base package. 43,600 vs 34500. I think that’s a solid upgrade At a reasonable 2024 cost.

I use to say I don't really think you can go wrong, and I still mostly believe that but I also wouldn't own a Tundra or one of the new RAM's yet. For me, I need to see the new engine in the RAM for a little while before jumping in. I personally feel the most reliable today is one of the GM's. If you can still find any on the lots the 5.7 hemi RAM would be right there with GM. Ford quality seems to really be struggling as of late but I don't think that would totally deter me from picking up a 3.5 ecoboost.
Thanks for the reply. I feel the same way. Gm seems to be the most reliable on the market today.

I`d go with anything but the Tundra and Ram. Give a little more time to see how the Hurricane pans out and well Toyota is still producing duds and the engine is not the only issue with that trucks as others have mentioned. Fit and finish is poor especially compare to the competitions.

Ford: Nice lineup, lots of QC issues lately and watch out for that 10 speed transmission.
GMC/Chevrolet: Pretty good but there seems to be something wrong with the electrical lately. All of my friends and family that have bought a 1500 or a Colorado in the past couple of months have had major electrical issues. It even left my buddy with his brand new colorado ZR2, 500 miles on the odo, stranded in the wood. They didn't install the wire harness correctly and it melted on the turbo. My uncle lights were going crazy on his truck and would not shut off even when the truck was off. My other uncle, the passenger front flasher would periodically turn on even when the truck was off. Just the left front, not even the front and rear lol.
Ram: Nice truck, transmission is buttery smooth, but the engine is an unknown.

Between all of the choices above, and I had to buy brand new, I'd go with a F-150 2.7 or 5.0, transmission be damn as they keep releasing updates for it, or a GMC with the 6.2 or 3.0l diesel. If the electronics behave in the GMC, you have a hell of a nice truck.
Thanks for the reply. My choices would be the same as you. I would buy the 2.7 ecoboost or the 3.0l gm. I don't need the biggest engine because I don't plan on towing a lot. I want the most fuel efficient truck and I think the 2.7 and 3.0l are currently the most fuel efficient in the market.

Currently, it's pretty tough to answer. Seems every brand has some issues. GM has been rife with electrical issues up and down the sizes. Ford always has a large number of recalls. Toyota has had obvious issues as well. The Ram is a new design, but the engine has been out for a while in the Jeep. I really don't think there is a safe and secure choice right now. It's really a crapshoot. For full-size right now, I'd probably get the last of the Ram Classics. The design is so old and basic, it's pretty damn dependable. Just won't have any modern features but that may be a good thing for reliability.
Thanks for the reply. I agree. Usually, the more basic it is, the more reliable it is.

You can’t buy what doesn’t exist. A no issue Truck. So you have to make your choices from some hard and some anecdotal evidence.

22+ tundra: Serious Engine issues. Unknown whether it’s been resolved 24 forward.
21+ F150’s: Problems all around that still remain unresolved in 2024. Broken AC, Electronic gremlins, infotainment problems.
Ram: Dunno, I never consider them. All my friends with them have so many problems.
Chev/GM: I never considered them, though, if I needed a full size, but Not HD, I’d probably check them out.

Midsize:
Ranger: My last impression of the ranger was that it wasn’t a very good looking truck, imo.
Tacoma: Solid through 23, 24’s mostly ok, some issues.
Colorado/Canyon: Like, but not for me.
Nissan: just LOL.

Pricing:Overall all to expensive, however, My 496xx TRD OR with upgrade package & spray on bed liner cost me 9100 more than my daughters 2022 Tacoma 4x2 SR, base package. 43,600 vs 34500. I think that’s a solid upgrade At a reasonable 2024 cost.
Thanks for the reply. I agree that a no issue truck doesn't exist. I just have to buy the truck that I think has the least issues. I'm currently leaning on the ford and the gm for midsize and fullsize. They seem to be the most reliable.

Back