Reader towing test drive of Ford Lightning

testerdahl

Administrator
Staff member
From my inbox:
I have been following you for year from the old Tundra days and now on Youtube. I currently have a 2017 Tundra and a 2022 GMC AT4 Duramax 1500. I am currently doing a Lemon Law on the GMC as I had extensive electrical issues (Covid Truck) As you know it a great truck mine was just a lemon. I currently have almost 40,000 miles on it and have owned it just over a year. I get about 28mpg highway running KO2 or are they 3’s now?

I was offered an opportunity to test the towing range of a 2023 Ford Lightning. The goal with this test was to see how far the F-150 Lightning, long range (131 kWh) battery could tow my Yamaha Umax Rally and aluminum trailer.

My trailer is on the heavy side for an aluminum trailer, I would estimate my trailer and Umax combined to be about 3,000-3500 lbs. As you can see from the photos it is not a very aerodynamic setup but should be a good test for the average small camper, ATV, snow mobiles, boat etc.

A few other specifics to note. The test Lightning had 5,750 miles on the odometer, not sure it makes any difference, but it was not a new vehicle. The battery should be at peak capacity as it was almost new. The test included myself and my wife, I wanted real world numbers so I drove it like I would any other truck I have owned while towing. I avoided using the full acceleration potential of the very quick Lightning but did not drive it like an old man either. Climate controls were set for the heater to maintain the cabin at a comfortable 72 degrees. Regenerative braking was set to on (Which is an option to have turned on/off).

Other conditions for the test, one heated seat was on, heated steering wheel was on, and the radio was on. The Lightning had a vinyl tonneau cover over the bed which should assist the aerodynamics slightly. Outside temperature was 36-38 degrees, it was a damp December 2nd. We had a little light misting but no snow or rain during the test. The planned route was a round trip from my home located near Middleton Wisconsin, then north to the Wisconsin Dells.

The speeds were mix of slow city driving at 25 mph, and highway speeds ranging from 60 to 70 MPH. The roads traveled were hilly thru the Baraboo bluffs the remainder of the route was flat and rolling hills common in south central Wisconsin. I wanted real roads, typical driving habits and a worst-case scenario with the cold temps.

The trip concluded at 102 miles, time was just over 2 hours giving an average speed of about 50 mph.

The long-range lighting is estimated to have 320 total miles of range when charged to 100%. Since this was intended to be a real-world test, I started with what a typical charge of roughly 90%. I am not sure what Ford recommends for day to day charging but most companies recommend 80-90 % charge for daily use to optimize battery life. EV batteries last longer if not charged to 100% everyday, however if I was making a trip of a longer planned distance, I would charge the night prior to 100% getting all the potential range available for the trip.

The test Ford Lightning was a Lariat package well equipped with an MSRP window sticker of just over $89K. Currently Ford is offering an incentive of $7,500 off and if a person’s income qualifies a federal tax incentive and an additional $7,500 off Ford promotion. The truck used for the test likely would not qualify for the federal tax rebate as the price was over the $80K threshold.

My general driving experience was very positive. The Lightning offered a comfortable quiet ride. The truck had enough technology and features to meet the expectations of nearly everyone looking for a “luxury” truck. The truck as one would expect from an EV was very quiet. Most of the noise was from passing cars and a little wind noise. The truck was very quick, my estimate would say a little quicker than a Tesla model Y long range but overall comparable.

While towing, the load was more apparent than in my 2022 GMC AT4 half ton. I would say it was comparable to my Tundra but with more bounce and push-pull of the trailer. After a few minutes of adjusting to the towing experience the bounce and push-pull became less apparent. The Lightning accelerated with ease and really did not make any difference with the extra weight, easily beating the performance of my other trucks.

After connecting the trailer and Yamaha the Lightning has a menu for trailering which asks for some user inputs for trailer, length, width, height, and weight.
You can save multiple trailers. I entered 10’ length, 7’ wide, 7’ high and 4000 pounds weight as I wanted it to be worst case and they are just estimates used for the truck to recalculate the range available. Prior to connection of the trailer the Lightning was charged to 92% battery and an estimated remaining range of 290 miles.

After connecting the trailer, the system recalibrated the range to an estimated 141 miles and battery, as expected, was still at 92% charge.

Driving results, after 10 miles of driving the trip screen indicated an average consumption rating (efficiency) of 1.4 mi/kWh and had elapsed 20 minutes of time. The range remaining had adjusted to 131 miles and battery was now at 86%. I was impressed with the initial results as range was pretty accurate considering I had driven 10 miles, and it adjusted the remaining range to 10 miles less.

My experience with Tesla’s is the range remaining is not always accurate 10 miles driven often will result with more than 10 miles less range in
the Tesla calculation estimates. Tesla owners often complain about the range they advertise is not real, often getting less than advertised. The other thing we have noticed with the Tesla is that that like ICE (internal combustion engines) engines they show better range at the beginning of the trip and then have a more rapid decline as your trip continues.

After 20 miles of driving the range remaining was now at 122 miles and battery was at 81%, I was doing slightly better than the original estimate. Average consumption was at 1.4 million/kWh, time lapsed was 30 minutes. After 36 miles traveled, the efficiency had dropped to 1.3 miles/kWh, time lapsed of 48 minutes range dropped to 102 miles and battery was at 71%. I was just past the Baraboo bluffs and the cruise control was set at 70 mph, I assume the steeper hills and increased speed 970 MPH) contributed to the decline in efficiency to 1.3 mi/kWh.

My next check in was at 50 miles, this was my halfway point of my planned drive. Efficiency was now 1.2 mi/kWh, time lapsed was 1:01, remaining range was down to 82 miles and battery was at 61%.

At the end of my test, I traveled 102 miles, 2 hours 10 minutes of total time. I ended up with an efficiency average of 1.3 mi/kWh, I had
43 miles of estimated range remaining and battery level was at 30% remaining. Considering the original estimate was 141 miles of range at the beginning of the test real world numbers were better than what the Ford display estimated. I did not want to risk running the truck down to zero, and I felt I had the numbers needed to make a good conclusion of the worst-case range for my typical towing. Using the average efficiency of 1.3 mi/kWh we can get a
good estimate of total range towing a setup like used for the test. Calculation is average consumption (efficiency) and multiply that by the total battery capacity of 131 kWh a total calculated range would be 170 miles assuming battery is charged to 100%.

My test run would agree with those numbers the real range towing under today’s conditions is about 170 miles. My personal guesstimate prior to testing was the range towing would be about 1/2 the range of the truck without towing. I would estimate summer months with conditions being better for an EV could possibly extend that and additional 10 miles. Prior to connecting the trailer my test driving was showing about 2.3 miles/kWh, using the same calculation would give a winter (not super cold but cold enough at 37 degrees) range of 300ish miles, summer driving would likely be close to the EPA range of 320 miles, better if in town as EV’s get worse mileage on highway as the use of regenerative braking in stop and go city improves the range. If you are not familiar with regenerative braking basically it breaks down to this (no pun intended). An EV has a motor that operates two ways. One way propels the wheels of the vehicle forward during acceleration. The other way an EV motor works allows the wheels to power the battery by restoring some of the kinetic energy back
to the batteries.

Attachments

• IMG_1262.jpeg
    IMG_1262.jpeg
    662.3 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1231.jpeg
    IMG_1231.jpeg
    364.6 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1250.jpeg
    IMG_1250.jpeg
    693.8 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1252.jpeg
    IMG_1252.jpeg
    643.6 KB · Views: 0
Part 2:

Final thoughts…. After driving for several hours this is an excellent truck. My opinion is the new GMC AT4/Denali has better quality materials and an overall feel of better interior quality. I could see this being a great everyday driver for someone who plans to use it for mostly local trips in the area with occasional trips less than 150 miles one way. I don’t believe the infrastructure is in place to have an EV truck as the answer to replace ICE trucks yet. If I was to buy a Lightning, I think it could work for me but summer trips to Road America pulling the Yamaha would be an issue for me as my trip is 190 miles round trip, range anxiety would become a real issue. Chargers are not setup for pull thru like those at a gas pump, in other words A person towing would need to unhook what they are towing to charge at nearly every charger. Hopefully someday designers of charging sites will design them for EV’s that are towing. For typical day to day driving this is a great option, assuming you have an EV charger at home. Saving gas money, oil changes, engine, and transmission maintenance etc. Having owned an EV for the past 5 years you learn you appreciate the positives and deal with the very few negatives. The Tesla is a great regional car often making trips for us to Door County and back. The time for a charge at the Tesla supercharger is about the same as stopping for a gas fill up or a bathroom break. The Lightning currently does not use the Tesla chargers and even when they do next year, I am not so sure they will benefit from the Tesla network like Teslas do. Teslas will precondition the battery to optimal temperature allowing the quickest recharging possible. I don’t see how other manufacturers will be able to include a feature like this unless they have the ability to communicate with the Tesla charging network. We should know some of these answers by the end of 2024. Tesla also can optimize software and hardware like the batteries to take full advantage of the chargers as they designed them to work together for the Tesla universe. I’m sure other EV makes will charge just fine at the Tesla chargers, but charging speed is unknown. The big advantage of the Tesla network is it works. Chargers are not offline as often as other chargers. Considering one of the biggest non-Tesla charging networks is Electrify America, which was a result of the VW diesel gate emission settlement with the EPA. Electrify America has its share of issues often having chargers offline or not working. If a business creates a charging network as part of a punishment what should consumers expect, after all the entire network was formed as a punishment.

If you need a truck to take your snowmobiles to northern WI in the winter EV trucks are just not ready yet. Perhaps when solid state battery technology is available near 2030 things will change, for now it’s a good option for those that can make it work for the needs they have.

Would I buy a Lightning, yes. The front trunk would be a big benefit keeping things dry. It offers the best of both worlds SUV dry storage area in front and truck hauling in the bed in back.

Part 3:

The great EV debate, the world has become highly politicized EV adoption has been debated for the past 10 years. I can see both political sides of the argument, but facts are facts. Our charging infrastructure is not in place for full adoptions of EV’s. Even if we had chargers at every current gas station location, we don’t have the ability to generate the electricity required for worldwide adoption of EV’s. If solid state battery technology becomes viable it will help but other challenges remain.

If you are buying an EV because you believe you are saving the planet, you are not. The future waste from dead lithium batteries alone is an unknown long-term problem.

Can EV adoption help, maybe, but the numbers just are not there to support it. Generating electricity currently has environmental impacts, it’s not as green as many would want you to believe. I also don’t think EV’s are a bad thing, but many consider them as such as one political side is pushing back against the other side that wants mass adoption. What people really need to consider about EV’s is this, it’s a propulsion option, much like diesel is an option different than gas. For some people the benefits of an EV are worth considering as a propulsion option for them. For others a hybrid is a combination of both gas and electricity and is a better option for them. If the politicians would leave EV’s out of the discussion and let the market decide if it is something that the public wants it will be the best for all potential options. When the free market is not able to make the decisions of what is best for people and forced adoption of anything hinders creativity and consideration of other technology in this case propulsion of transportation.

Could hydrogen, synthetic fuel, compressed air, or many other technologies that have been available but not forced on us been a viable option? We will likely never know as we are being forced to accept EV as our future, which in my opinion is a mistake.

For example, most people don’t even know about synthetic gas, yes you can buy it today and run it in the car you have. I have included some information regarding synthetic fuel from this site below.
https://www.petro-online.com/news/s...fuels share the same,(NOx) are still released
“They have physicochemical properties that are similar to regular fuels, making them compatible with current vehicles and allowing for existing infrastructure to be used. They are sustainable alternative and renewable raw materials are used to produce them. It’s expensive because of limited demand. Synthetic fuels share the same chemical properties as conventional petrol and diesel. This means they still release toxic gasses into the atmosphere when burned. While some synthetic products generate fewer particulates, gases like carbon dioxide (CO2), sulfur oxide (Sox) and nitrogen (NOx) are still released.

This makes synthetic fuels comparable to conventional fuels, in terms of greenhouse gas emissions. Of course, it’s important to note that most synthetic fuel manufacturers actively capture atmospheric carbon to produce synthetic fuel. This offsets the emissions produced when synthetic fuels are burned. It is estimated full adoption of synthetic fuel could slash CO2 by 85% by 2050.“

We are at a unique point in automotive history where one technology is being killed off and another is being forced upon us. As consumers we have some options which is good. I don’t think we are ready yet for this next big step, perhaps in a few years things will be different. I look to Toyota and find it interesting they have made corporate decision to not get too involved in the EV future yet. What does the world’s largest automotive maker know?

Part 3:

The great EV debate, the world has become highly politicized EV adoption has been debated for the past 10 years. I can see both political sides of the argument, but facts are facts. Our charging infrastructure is not in place for full adoptions of EV’s. Even if we had chargers at every current gas station location, we don’t have the ability to generate the electricity required for worldwide adoption of EV’s. If solid state battery technology becomes viable it will help but other challenges remain.

If you are buying an EV because you believe you are saving the planet, you are not. The future waste from dead lithium batteries alone is an unknown long-term problem.

Can EV adoption help, maybe, but the numbers just are not there to support it. Generating electricity currently has environmental impacts, it’s not as green as many would want you to believe. I also don’t think EV’s are a bad thing, but many consider them as such as one political side is pushing back against the other side that wants mass adoption. What people really need to consider about EV’s is this, it’s a propulsion option, much like diesel is an option different than gas. For some people the benefits of an EV are worth considering as a propulsion option for them. For others a hybrid is a combination of both gas and electricity and is a better option for them. If the politicians would leave EV’s out of the discussion and let the market decide if it is something that the public wants it will be the best for all potential options. When the free market is not able to make the decisions of what is best for people and forced adoption of anything hinders creativity and consideration of other technology in this case propulsion of transportation.

Could hydrogen, synthetic fuel, compressed air, or many other technologies that have been available but not forced on us been a viable option? We will likely never know as we are being forced to accept EV as our future, which in my opinion is a mistake.

For example, most people don’t even know about synthetic gas, yes you can buy it today and run it in the car you have. I have included some information regarding synthetic fuel from this site below.
https://www.petro-online.com/news/synthetic-fuels/180/breaking-news/what-are-the-disadvantages-of-synthetic-fuel/59303#:~:text=Synthetic fuels share the same,(NOx) are still released
“They have physicochemical properties that are similar to regular fuels, making them compatible with current vehicles and allowing for existing infrastructure to be used. They are sustainable alternative and renewable raw materials are used to produce them. It’s expensive because of limited demand. Synthetic fuels share the same chemical properties as conventional petrol and diesel. This means they still release toxic gasses into the atmosphere when burned. While some synthetic products generate fewer particulates, gases like carbon dioxide (CO2), sulfur oxide (Sox) and nitrogen (NOx) are still released.

This makes synthetic fuels comparable to conventional fuels, in terms of greenhouse gas emissions. Of course, it’s important to note that most synthetic fuel manufacturers actively capture atmospheric carbon to produce synthetic fuel. This offsets the emissions produced when synthetic fuels are burned. It is estimated full adoption of synthetic fuel could slash CO2 by 85% by 2050.“

We are at a unique point in automotive history where one technology is being killed off and another is being forced upon us. As consumers we have some options which is good. I don’t think we are ready yet for this next big step, perhaps in a few years things will be different. I look to Toyota and find it interesting they have made corporate decision to not get too involved in the EV future yet. What does the world’s largest automotive maker know?
In my 4 years of searching for a new truck no one, not ever told me you must buy an EV. There is no law that says anyone buying a new vehicle must by an EV. Yes, some vehicle manufacturers say they are going all EV in 2035 but that’s over 10 years from now and a lot can happen in the meantime. The EV infrastructure is in its infancy and will take decades to reach enough maturity to support an EV only transportation system. Until then gas, diesel, and hybrid technologies will still be the mainstream transportation, IMO.

Yep, I agree, nobody is forcing anyone to buy these things. If it fits your needs, sure. For me, considering I have lots of short trips, it would be fine. But the caveat is that I make a 500-mile camping trip towing a cargo trailer 3-4 times a year. With no way to charge at destination that would be very difficult. Guess I could just get an EV car/SUV for local driving and rent a truck when I make my long trips. Maybe having the EV would make it worth the extra cost?

Yep, I agree, nobody is forcing anyone to buy these things. If it fits your needs, sure. For me, considering I have lots of short trips, it would be fine. But the caveat is that I make a 500-mile camping trip towing a cargo trailer 3-4 times a year. With no way to charge at destination that would be very difficult. Guess I could just get an EV car/SUV for local driving and rent a truck when I make my long trips. Maybe having the EV would make it worth the extra cost?
I wrote a story a few years ago now on how you can’t actually rent a truck for towing. For example, you can’t rent a truck on Turo and tow (against their rules). Home Depot? Not really. They are first come, first serve and you have to pay more if you plan to tow. Enterprise? None in Jill’s area of Chicago.

Then, you have the complexities of finding a truck with the right payload, towing and cabin/bed room for what you plan to bring with you.

Frankly, I had heard so much push back from my EV advocate friends of “just rent a truck” when you need it. So, I did the research and wrote the story. I haven’t heard those same friends bring up this argument since. :)

I wrote a story a few years ago now on how you can’t actually rent a truck for towing. For example, you can’t rent a truck on Turo and tow (against their rules). Home Depot? Not really. They are first come, first serve and you have to pay more if you plan to tow. Enterprise? None in Jill’s area of Chicago.

Then, you have the complexities of finding a truck with the right payload, towing and cabin/bed room for what you plan to bring with you.

Frankly, I had heard so much push back from my EV advocate friends of “just rent a truck” when you need it. So, I did the research and wrote the story. I haven’t heard those same friends bring up this argument since. :)

Huh, I never had a problem. I simply used U-haul and rented one of their pick-ups. (When I was between trucks, I rented one to get my cargo trailer 500 miles up north.) They have no problems with towing and even advertise that. Usually, they rent local to tow a car to a shop or go put a boat in the water. Yeah, it's basic cab but that's all I needed. I wouldn't transport the family in it for a vacation.

Huh, I never had a problem. I simply used U-haul and rented one of their pick-ups. (When I was between trucks, I rented one to get my cargo trailer 500 miles up north.) They have no problems with towing and even advertise that. Usually, they rent local to tow a car to a shop or go put a boat in the water. Yeah, it's basic cab but that's all I needed. I wouldn't transport the family in it for a vacation.
By yourself, sure there's some options. With a family, it is a no go really.

Which makes you wonder how some do it. The payloads just aren't there for 1/2-ton 4wd crew cabs. Not much capacity for passengers once you subtract tongue weight and cargo for a decent family sized camper. It's why I was usually alone hauling my big trailer (6000#s) in my 1500.

Back