Only cars with fewer screens and physical controls will get top safety rating in Europe

Wow, I can see that. It would be tougher here, everyone but us old farts like those screens. But it does sound like a criteria CR would add to their reviews. They should also add crappy headlights and poor sight lines.

I can see their point, physical controls are more expensive but more reliable, I agree that things like heating, vent controls, signals and wipers to name a few, when all of your controls are touch screen dependent, that means everything has to be interpreted through an operational program sitting on top of a operating system running on computer hardware, and then to switching control hardware, people love loading their Android or Apple Carplay with tons of apps. many running processes in the background even when app is shut off, they could be running just a ton of shit like navigation, music while looking at nude photos of their ex and more, all of this slows touch screen response, and thats not big problem, its the corruption of the vehicles operational program and or failure of surface mounted components in the computer where your going to have problems, the list is to big to type, but slapping in a touch screen computer and switching control is far easier to install and cheaper for the OEM, but high dollar to replace, chasing down a short on a physical control at dealer rates would be a bargain.

I can see their point, physical controls are more expensive but more reliable, I agree that things like heating, vent controls, signals and wipers to name a few, when all of your controls are touch screen dependent, that means everything has to be interpreted through an operational program sitting on top of a operating system running on computer hardware, and then to switching control hardware, people love loading their Android or Apple Carplay with tons of apps. many running processes in the background even when app is shut off, they could be running just a ton of shit like navigation, music while looking at nude photos of their ex and more, all of this slows touch screen response, and thats not big problem, its the corruption of the vehicles operational program and or failure of surface mounted components in the computer where your going to have problems, the list is to big to type, but slapping in a touch screen computer and switching control is far easier to install and cheaper for the OEM, but high dollar to replace, chasing down a short on a physical control at dealer rates would be a bargain.
I agree, the switchs, knobs and buttons are nice to have. There is only one problem with that. Even they are still connected to the same electrical data-bus. The buttons are no different than the screens, just weaker because of the physical movement. Look at the shifters, they don't even have any mechanical connection to the tranny anymore. But on the bright side, because of the tech developed by smartphones, touchscreens are pretty damn reliable.

I think the biggest issues will be the same regardless of interface, bad software. And the physical knob won't help that unfortunately because it simply connects to the same software. Having something directly wired is so rare now. That's probably the most important thing to Ram on the refresh is that new data-bus system. It controls everything and it's all integrated.

I think we're just in a middle area now we had physical buttons and they seem to be moving towards touch screen controls, it will sort itself out in time. Digging through screen menus to find the heated seats button won't last.

Voice control will be the final evolution. Right before they take the steering wheel out completely.

I think the biggest issues will be the same regardless of interface, bad software. And the physical knob won't help that unfortunately because it simply connects to the same software. Having something directly wired is so rare now. That's probably the most important thing to Ram on the refresh is that new data-bus system. It controls everything and it's all integrated.
Yes, thats the problem now, Im going to have to put up with it on the new truck, Ive planned my own pdi when I get it home day one, underneath I'll check for proper grounding connections, any wires rubbing anywhere, the sensors will get a wax type of anti corrosion spray to be done yearly., engine compartment will have a go over looking for wire rubs and possible future wire rubs, its nothing zip ties and sleeve covers cant fix.
Im not sure if anybody knows, can their over the air auto updates be shut off, I like to wait and find out how early opters faired with the update, there have been disasters with software updates.
One thing I found out is many vehicles from most if not all OEM's have had problems with crappy ground connections from the factory, you would think that would be a main target during pdi, needless to say Im going to beef up the grounding.

The only problem I see with this is I hope they don't consider a digital gauge cluster to be a "screen". I can't stand vehicles that just have one center screen like the Tesla Model 3/Y with no cluster. And no a head up display is not a replacement in my book.

When. Th8nk of buying my someday-truck, the annoying screen trend has actually become a factor.
Someday truck. LOL. I never thought of it that way. Good comment not being a jerk. Just like your comment.

Back