No excitement for Frontier?

testerdahl

Administrator
Staff member
With the Tacoma, Colorado, Canyon and Ranger all new this year, I'm not seeing a lot of comments about the Nissan Frontier. Is it being left in the dust or will the dust settle and show how good it is?

I really like the D41 Frontier overall. I would consider it when I decide to replace my F150. My concern is how is Nissan quality/durability lately, how does the power feel compared to all the new turbocharged midsize trucks out now, and the interior is already looking dated. The big plus is I can do a pretty loaded up Pro 4x for $42-44k. Good luck getting a 4th gen Taco with similar specs for that price.

Nissan just does not market their product like they used to. Who can forget the Ken & Barbie commercial for the Z or the "Dogs Love Trucks" advertisement for the first gen Frontier?

The Frontier offers a great value to the segment. It is not flashy but it gets the job done. I just hope it does not go the way of the Titan. It is too bad the brand is so poorly run and has inept management.

I owned a 2000 Frontier Desert Runner SE and the truck was great. I bought it used in 2008 or 2009 and I regretted selling it in 2013.

Nissan just does not market their product like they used to. Who can forget the Ken & Barbie commercial for the Z or the "Dogs Love Trucks" advertisement for the first gen Frontier?

The Frontier offers a great value to the segment. It is not flashy but it gets the job done. I just hope it does not go the way of the Titan. It is too bad the brand is so poorly run and has inept management.

I owned a 2000 Frontier Desert Runner SE and the truck was great. I bought it used in 2008 or 2009 and I regretted selling it in 2013.
That 90s ad was great! Even the Xterra/Frontier ads from the early 2k

The couple new Frontiers I sat in looked pretty good fit and finish wise. I honestly think if I were to buy a midsize today it may be a D41 Pro4 X with all the options. I bet you its a good $10k less than a 4th gen Taco TRD OR premium. I would not put the truck through any heavy off road use thats for my ATV but I do tow firewood, 3000lbs utlilty trailer, MTB's, and HD runs. Not to say I wouldn't venture into the woods with it. My only gripe is it NEEDS a 2-3" of lift with a nice set of tires.

Toyota has the inertia in midsize. You have to make a splash every year if you aren't Toyota.

Ford & GM make a splash every 3 or so years, and their sales aren't very strong. Nissan makes a splash every decade. They need to get their trucks into the hands of the "cool kids", which right now is the overlanding community. If they could make it there, maybe they could get a toe hold, otherwise they have already lost. I hate to say that. I loved my 89 Hardbody, 99 Frontier king cab with a manual, and my wife's 00 Frontier Crew Cab. All solid vehicles.

Besides Toyota, they are the only midsize with any cab and bed options.

Toyota has the inertia in midsize. You have to make a splash every year if you aren't Toyota.

Ford & GM make a splash every 3 or so years, and their sales aren't very strong. Nissan makes a splash every decade. They need to get their trucks into the hands of the "cool kids", which right now is the overlanding community. If they could make it there, maybe they could get a toe hold, otherwise they have already lost. I hate to say that. I loved my 89 Hardbody, 99 Frontier king cab with a manual, and my wife's 00 Frontier Crew Cab. All solid vehicles.

Besides Toyota, they are the only midsize with any cab and bed options.
Nissan could do this if they just leaned into the overland market by making an affordable overland rig. Offer the "pro4x package" on all trims. and then offer an Overlander Package with like a bed rack, power on board, upgraded suspension and tires. They dont need to go rock crawler (Thats Jeep and Toyota) territory. They Don't need to go High speed offroad (Thats chevy ZR2 and Ford Raptor) They can easily just Make a warrior overlander build and corner the market!

Tim's latest on a Nissan Patent which may apply to the Frontier:

https://image-ppubs.uspto.gov/dirse...PJ3OreMiYaOZrZ-23uPvno0No08pdqUS5BmvtLwl36LgQ

If it reaches production, the "cargo box frame" over the bed will not be removable; it appears to be integral to the bed not moving too much with a load and/or bed articulation causing the seal to perish. A bed with no seats in it (Hello Brat, Chicken Tax loophole) but allows the rear seat occupants to feel a back breeze? Okay. Note the mini Avalanche-style triangle flying buttresses on the front of the cargo box frame. Nissan recognizes the pass through creates all kinds of rigidity issues and uses GM's older 'Lanch solution. The pass through cover looks too lightly secured and insulated; The Avalanche has some serious levers and sealing and this looks like a particle board from Hobby Lobby in the patent drawings.

A Bronco/Jeep Wrangler competitor on the cheap, with a dubious mid-gate (which may leak after 30K miles).

Tim's latest on a Nissan Patent which may apply to the Frontier:

https://image-ppubs.uspto.gov/dirse...PJ3OreMiYaOZrZ-23uPvno0No08pdqUS5BmvtLwl36LgQ

If it reaches production, the "cargo box frame" over the bed will not be removable; it appears to be integral to the bed not moving too much with a load and/or bed articulation causing the seal to perish. A bed with no seats in it (Hello Brat, Chicken Tax loophole) but allows the rear seat occupants to feel a back breeze? Okay. Note the mini Avalanche-style triangle flying buttresses on the front of the cargo box frame. Nissan recognizes the pass through creates all kinds of rigidity issues and uses GM's older 'Lanch solution. The pass through cover looks too lightly secured and insulated; The Avalanche has some serious levers and sealing and this looks like a particle board from Hobby Lobby in the patent drawings.

A Bronco/Jeep Wrangler competitor on the cheap, with a dubious mid-gate (which may leak after 30K miles).

I am a huge fan of this approach/ idea. I wonder how they would solve the window issue (I assume some kind of removable "pop out window" based on watching your WHOLE video Tim. haha. I think they can offer something in the midsize truck market no one lese does and it might give them the edge they need to capitalize on the whole "I want a NA V6 midsize truck, not a turbo". now lets see if it comes to production or if its just the next Titan Warrior concept that never materializes.

I am a huge fan of this approach/ idea. I wonder how they would solve the window issue (I assume some kind of removable "pop out window" based on watching your WHOLE video Tim. haha. I think they can offer something in the midsize truck market no one lese does and it might give them the edge they need to capitalize on the whole "I want a NA V6 midsize truck, not a turbo". now lets see if it comes to production or if its just the next Titan Warrior concept that never materializes.
As you might have noticed, I kind of flubbed the window thing. It literally dawned on me during filming. I figured I'd just go with it versus restarting the whole video and starting again.

BTW, I had a journalist, with a deep connection to Nissan, reach out to me and say "it isn't just a patent." Take that FWIW.

As you might have noticed, I kind of flubbed the window thing. It literally dawned on me during filming. I figured I'd just go with it versus restarting the whole video and starting again.

BTW, I had a journalist, with a deep connection to Nissan, reach out to me and say "it isn't just a patent." Take that FWIW.

My dad owns the 2022 Nissan frontier and now I have to show him your video

Between this and the Silverado EV higher trims, the mid-gate makes a return; people pan it, but I am glad I didn't buy the '21 GMC Sierra Pro Crew Cab with the 5.75 ft bed and 4300 Ecotec I was looking at, but waited to find my my eventual under 30K mile 'Lanche. Putting long table/wood in as opposed to it hanging out back with the "Pull before Flight" pin attached is a better solution...Plus no DI carbon needing walnut shell blasting and "garageability" size took the cake (I'm not Jill in the garage parking Olympics!).

I have had a 2023 Frontier SV long bed for about 13 months now and I had hoped for another inch or two in the back seats in the re design of the Frontier. In my opinion Nissan could have really enhanced this re design but Nissan just doesnt have the budget and engineering and design talent. But I'm living with it.

I have had a 2023 Frontier SV long bed for about 13 months now and I had hoped for another inch or two in the back seats in the re design of the Frontier. In my opinion Nissan could have really enhanced this re design but Nissan just doesnt have the budget and engineering and design talent. But I'm living with it.
All about making a model that will fit into a standard garage. They can’t make the cabin an inch more in the rear which would cause it not to fit the garage metric everyone uses.

Jeep took the chance to challenge the garage idea by making their midsize truck bigger. I’d be curious to hear what owners have to say about how long it is overall.

All about making a model that will fit into a standard garage. They can’t make the cabin an inch more in the rear which would cause it not to fit the garage metric everyone uses.

Jeep took the chance to challenge the garage idea by making their midsize truck bigger. I’d be curious to hear what owners have to say about how long it is overall.
Tim, curious what are the "Garage Metric" dimensions the manufacturers use? The default "stub" garage used by so many builders from the 90s on appears to be waning a bit, but is still very predominant.

Tim, curious what are the "Garage Metric" dimensions the manufacturers use? The default "stub" garage used by so many builders from the 90s on appears to be waning a bit, but is still very predominant.
18’. That’s why most midsize trucks are 210” or so long. It is about 3-4” shorter than the total garage length to accommodate the door.

18’. That’s why most midsize trucks are 210” or so long. It is about 3-4” shorter than the total garage length to accommodate the door.
And here I am complaining because my garage is 20ft lol. Maybe that's why I want the extra inches in rear seat of the midsizers. 🤣

I'm not sure why people are saying that the interior is dated. Finally sat in one last week and materials are nice, I have all the info I need right at my finger tip, buttons for everything and nice screens for the infotainment and center screen. Supports apple car play and android auto.

What makes it dated?

Back