New engines for Tundra and Lexus

Call me a conspiracy theorist but replacing 100,000 engines leads me to believe there's more to this story than machining debris left in the engine.

I'll try to find the article but it's been reported a few different times that there's ways to tell if the engine is one of the ones affected with machining debris. So all 100,000 shouldn't need replacing unless the other issues being reported with part number changes to various engine components is the real issue.

Sounds like an expensive solution to make sure nobody digs deeper and the problem goes away.

Call me a conspiracy theorist but replacing 100,000 engines leads me to believe there's more to this story than machining debris left in the engine.

I'll try to find the article but it's been reported a few different times that there's ways to tell if the engine is one of the ones affected with machining debris. So all 100,000 shouldn't need replacing unless the other issues being reported with part number changes to various engine components is the real issue.

Sounds like an expensive solution to make sure nobody digs deeper and the problem goes away.
Ok conspiracy theorist... :)

I’d have to agree with the “more than debris” theory. Hopefully “I Do Cars” can get ahold of one of these engines and look into possible other malfunctions. Inquiring minds need to know. 🤔

I’d have to agree with the “more than debris” theory. Hopefully “I Do Cars” can get ahold of one of these engines and look into possible other malfunctions. Inquiring minds need to know. 🤔
There's been a few part number changes to some of the internal components of the engines recently that has been covered on a few other YouTube channels. I haven't seen anybody get an answer back from Toyota on what the changes were or why they were made.

I actually think it’s a solution to avoid a class action suit plus save their reputation. If you look at the cash on hand from Toyota’s financials, a couple billion isn’t much. Also, this sets Toyota apart from other automakers who would not do the same thing when they had similar problems. I expected the remedy to be anything from oil testing and inspection up to total buyback of the trucks due to the logistical issues of engine replacements. I guess Toyota thinks they can handle those logistics. It’s one hell of an undertaking.

Tim, if you could land an interview with a Toyota engineer to discuss this recall, that would be amazing. Better start building your list of questions. I doubt that will happen anytime soon, but you never know.

Tim, if you could land an interview with a Toyota engineer to discuss this recall, that would be amazing. Better start building your list of questions. I doubt that will happen anytime soon, but you never know.
I can tell you right now that's not going to happen. Toyota goes is mostly mum on recalls and potential issues like most brands.

The sign above the door to Toyota engineering surely reads...
That'll do
Thats Good enough
Well just recall it later

Looking back, it really matches what Toyota has done in the past. They stand up and take responsibility, hard to knock that from a company. The rusty taco frames, conducting a recall for uncontrolled acceleration that most believed was just driver error, etc. They could have ignored this, let it go to class action. I think that would have cost less, not more. At the end of most class actions, what do the owners ever get? Usually very little compensation. Well, time to start looking for a good deal on a used 2022 Tundra....

Looking back, it really matches what Toyota has done in the past. They stand up and take responsibility, hard to knock that from a company. The rusty taco frames, conducting a recall for uncontrolled acceleration that most believed was just driver error, etc. They could have ignored this, let it go to class action. I think that would have cost less, not more. At the end of most class actions, what do the owners ever get? Usually very little compensation. Well, time to start looking for a good deal on a used 2022 Tundra....

True, I can't knock them for replacing the entire engine, that's great and should start changing the narrative a bit. Just not sold it's the entire story.. There should be more to come when the hybrids and 2024's get addressed.

True, I can't knock them for replacing the entire engine, that's great and should start changing the narrative a bit. Just not sold it's the entire story.. There should be more to come when the hybrids and 2024's get addressed.
That's a whole different story of course. But until I see some evidence to the contrary, the original story from Toyota appears truthful. Besides, if a company tries to "cover-up" and make a false story the truth, some whistleblower will end it for you. To what benefit would they be hiding something else? Prevent embarrassment? Leaving manufacturing debris in an engine to a poor process is pretty damn embarrassing for any automotive manufacturer.

That's a whole different story of course. But until I see some evidence to the contrary, the original story from Toyota appears truthful. Besides, if a company tries to "cover-up" and make a false story the truth, some whistleblower will end it for you. To what benefit would they be hiding something else? Prevent embarrassment? Leaving manufacturing debris in an engine to a poor process is pretty damn embarrassing for any automotive manufacturer.

I agree with you and wonder why they keep getting caught covering things up...

Looking back, it really matches what Toyota has done in the past. They stand up and take responsibility, hard to knock that from a company. The rusty taco frames, conducting a recall for uncontrolled acceleration that most believed was just driver error, etc.

These two issues were really bad for toyota, they got caught and agreed to pay over a billion dollars, to avoid prosecution, for lying and trying to cover up the accelleration issue. The rust frame issue took way too many years to acknowledge, address and solve. In the end they didn't .... they lost a class action settlement for 3 billion dollars. Lots of people got screwed.

I'm not sure these two issues are good ones to cite as a reason to show how Toyota stepped up and did the right thing.

I understand a lot of vehicle manufacturers have been caught up in bullshit, there's proabbly not been one that hasn't. But I can't think of an industry over the last 10 years with more cover-ups, fines etc.

Last edited:
The problem isn't that Toyota is "stepping up" to fix the problem, its the fact that they have to step up to fix the problem in the first place because of crappy engineering.
Out of all of the vehicles I have owned only two of them threw rods through the blocks both of them Toyotas, I have owned many GM and Fords and none of them have had to have new frames or engines.
Toyota koolaid is potent stuff.

Back