Modern advertising culture sucks

duggydo

I just watched another Steve Lehto video about a Ford patent for serving up ads in vehicles on the built in screens and over the speakers. As he mentioned in the video, it's just a patent and Ford may not actually do it, but I wouldn't be surprised if it eventually happens. Everywhere I look these days there's an ad. I open my calculator app on my phone and there's a damn ad along the bottom of the screen. My computer now has built in ads trying to sell me stuff. I'm old enough to remember what life was like without this crap and I miss those times. I'm curious how much money companies waste on all this advertising that just pisses off people? I'm now tempted to buy a Tesla simply because of Elon's philosophy of not advertising. More companies should do the same.

I just watched another Steve Lehto video about a Ford patent for serving up ads in vehicles on the built in screens and over the speakers. As he mentioned in the video, it's just a patent and Ford may not actually do it, but I wouldn't be surprised if it eventually happens. Everywhere I look these days there's an ad. I open my calculator app on my phone and there's a damn ad along the bottom of the screen. My computer now has built in ads trying to sell me stuff. I'm old enough to remember what life was like without this crap and I miss those times. I'm curious how much money companies waste on all this advertising that just pisses off people? I'm now tempted to buy a Tesla simply because of Elon's philosophy of not advertising. More companies should do the same.

Yep, it’s sickening, 24-7 capitalism at it’s finest trying to extract every penny out of your wallet. And I use to think TV commercials were excessive, these things take the cake.

I struggle with this all the time as well. There’s a fine line between having enough advertising to get paid vs pissing people off.

My friends over at GM-trucks.com got so mad about their advertising on the website, they took 90% of the Ads down. That lasted a few months until they couldn’t afford to operate that way. My guess is it cost them around $6-7k a month in lost Ad revenue.

This crosses the line and if brought to reality, I’ll never buy another Ford. That said, I know companies patent all kinds of ideas just to claim them, not necessarily to use them.

I struggle with this all the time as well. There’s a fine line between having enough advertising to get paid vs pissing people off.

My friends over at GM-trucks.com got so mad about their advertising on the website, they took 90% of the Ads down. That lasted a few months until they couldn’t afford to operate that way. My guess is it cost them around $6-7k a month in lost Ad revenue.
It's all our own creation. We want constant content of so many things, so it needs to get paid for somehow. I get it for sites like this or YT vids because there is something new that I want to see. Like a new episode of a TV show. But how does Ford think it's ok to collect more money without giving the owner any new product/content/etc.?

It's all our own creation. We want constant content of so many things, so it needs to get paid for somehow. I get it for sites like this or YT vids because there is something new that I want to see. Like a new episode of a TV show. But how does Ford think it's ok to collect more money without giving the owner any new product/content/etc.?
Automakers are really trying to find new revenue streams. Like GM's OnStar. That's a cash cow for them.

Back