Midsized 4x4 Systems Compared

Beninbeta

TFL did their slip and off road course test on the mid-sizers finally. Honestly, they all did very well, with just a few differences. I'd have been nice to have had a similarly priced Jeep just to see how that compared, but Jeeps should always be good at these types of tests. On the Tacoma side, I have had a couple of issues with HI/Lo not going working right away, but I just needed to drive forward/backward about 2 feet and it engaged just fine. I think the issue Tommy had was needing to disengage the locker then switch out of 4 lo, but I wish the locker worked in high and low range, it would just be easier to use. I also don't love that you have to use the screen on the Ranger for 4x4 settings, that's not ideal, but it did seem to work well otherwise.

lol....if anything, that video showed that if most off-roaders were honest, the Honda would fill most of their needs. They need to conduct a much more difficult test to truly separate them. Their deep mud pit would have been a good one, but they didn't "own" all those trucks. I'd give the nod to the Taco and the Jeep. Not a surprise because that's what they are truly made for.

TFL did their slip and off road course test on the mid-sizers finally. Honestly, they all did very well, with just a few differences. I'd have been nice to have had a similarly priced Jeep just to see how that compared, but Jeeps should always be good at these types of tests. On the Tacoma side, I have had a couple of issues with HI/Lo not going working right away, but I just needed to drive forward/backward about 2 feet and it engaged just fine. I think the issue Tommy had was needing to disengage the locker then switch out of 4 lo, but I wish the locker worked in high and low range, it would just be easier to use. I also don't love that you have to use the screen on the Ranger for 4x4 settings, that's not ideal, but it did seem to work well otherwise.

Haven't been able to watch this video yet, assuming off of your comments the Tacoma still has trouble shifting in and out of four high four low and disengaging or engaging the locker? Their ATRAC was always amazing though, one of the best non locker systems out there.

lol....if anything, that video showed that if most off-roaders were honest, the Honda would fill most of their needs. They need to conduct a much more difficult test to truly separate them. Their deep mud pit would have been a good one, but they didn't "own" all those trucks. I'd give the nod to the Taco and the Jeep. Not a surprise because that's what they are truly made for.
Yep I think most people who want a truck would probably be well served with the Ridgeline and would like the space/comfort of the interior too. I'm not crazy about the design inside or out, and it could really use a refresh at this point, but it's a solid offering in the space.

Haven't been able to watch this video yet, assuming off of your comments the Tacoma still has trouble shifting in and out of four high four low and disengaging or engaging the locker? Their ATRAC was always amazing though, one of the best non locker systems out there.
When they used crawl control it had no issues on any of the obstacles. I think the shifting in/out of Hi/Lo is better than it was, when it works it's immediate, but sometimes the system seems confused. Tommy tried to go from locked rear in low to high and it seems you need to first turn off the locker, then go into high and that was likely his issue on the rollers. But I have had it where going from lo to high I have had to drive a bit first before it switches, but just a few feet.

The Ford seemed to be difficult to use as well since some things worked in 4 hi some only in 4 lo and there was not a rhyme or reason to it.

Honda pretty simple, AWD with a couple of modes. Frontier struggled a bit here and there and the Chevy was fine once the G80 engaged after some spinning. Gladiator was the best overall with the least wheel spin, but is $68k.

Again, they are all great for 95% of a people who would buy a truck. Lots to choose from!

Back