Love your channel

Str8Shooter

Been following you all since 2021. I have a 2021 F-150 XLT FX-4 Powerboost with 45K miles. I'm retired and live in Maryland, but love hardcore camping (with Microwave and Refrigerator), backpacking and hiking all over the USA. I have a total of about 5 months spread out over the last 2 years living out of my truck (Rear seat or tent, No RV) and never have towed with it. I've done thousands of miles off road, many in MOAB, UT with it in the stock configuration. The truck has never let me down.

20230606_202219-2.jpg

Last edited:
Been following you all since 2021. I have a 2021 F-150 XLT FX-4 Powerboost with 45K miles. I'm retired and live in Maryland, but love hardcore camping (with Microwave and Refrigerator), backpacking and hiking all over the USA. I have a total of about 5 months spread out over the last 2 years living out of my truck (Rear seat or tent, No RV) and never have towed with it. I've done thousands of miles off road, many in MOAB, UT with it in the stock configuration. The truck has never let me down.

View attachment 66
Now that’s a great truck! Thanks for being a fan. I still think the XLT Powerboost is the truck to get for Ford.

Do you use the power-on board? I’m assuming you do with the microwave or refrigerator. How do you like that feature?

Hi Tim, I test drove many 2021 models with and without pro power on board. In my opinion the Hybrid FX-4 Max Tow package that I have felt like it handled the best...I can't explain why I liked the driving experience more in that model...maybe the combination of the extra weight of the hybrid and max tow suspension makes it feel nicer? I like the couple extra MPG I get a lot too. It's nice that you can option out a non Powerboost F-150 with a 2KW inverter. For the most part my main use case (boon docking) would be well served with just 2KW and a non powerboost. You will need to keep the truck on 100% of the time though if you do not use something like a Jackery battery that only cost a couple hundred dollars. It doesn't have an extra 1.5KW battery that allows you turn on and off power automatically like a powerboost.

Concerning pro power-on-board with the powerboost, I haven't used all 7.2KW yet. If I lose power at home I will need most of the 7.2KW. So, it's there when I need it. For boon-dock camping, running the microwave needs a lot of wattage - mine hits about 1400 watts before leveling out. My Dometic 55 fridge only uses about 20 watts on average so do not need pro power onboard for it. I plug my Dometic fridge directly into a Jackery that is plugged into the power onboard (using pass through). The truck charges a Jackery 300 when I am driving and runs off the Jackery when I turn the truck off. I use a Jackery because I don't like keeping the truck running through the night because I often sleep in or very near the truck and do not want to listen to the truck starting and stopping because it wakes me up. If you don't care about the truck automatically turning on and off to charge the hybrid battery the powerboost does the refrigerator job without a Jackery just fine. Not to mention if the Jackery fails I still have the hybrid battery to fall back on.

20230513_181602-2.jpg

Last edited:
Hi Tim, I test drove many 2021 models with and without pro power on board. In my opinion the Hybrid FX-4 Max Tow package that I have felt like it handled the best...I can't explain why I liked the driving experience more in that model...maybe the combination of the extra weight of the hybrid and max tow suspension makes it feel nicer? I like the couple extra MPG I get a lot too. It's nice that you can option out a non Powerboost F-150 with a 2KW inverter. For the most part my main use case (boon docking) would be well served with just 2KW and a non powerboost. You will need to keep the truck on 100% of the time though if you do not use something like a Jackery battery that only cost a couple hundred dollars. It doesn't have an extra 1.5KW battery that allows you turn on and off power automatically like a powerboost.

Concerning pro power-on-board with the powerboost, I haven't used all 7.2KW yet. If I lose power at home I will need most of the 7.2KW. So, it's there when I need it. For boon-dock camping, running the microwave needs a lot of wattage - mine hits about 1400 watts before leveling out. My Dometic 55 fridge only uses about 20 watts on average so do not need pro power onboard for it. I plug my Dometic fridge directly into a Jackery that is plugged into the power onboard (using pass through). The truck charges a Jackery 300 when I am driving and runs off the Jackery when I turn the truck off. I use a Jackery because I don't like keeping the truck running through the night because I often sleep in or very near the truck and do not want to listen to the truck starting and stopping because it wakes me up. If you don't care about the truck automatically turning on and off to charge the hybrid battery the powerboost does the refrigerator job without a Jackery just fine. Not to mention if the Jackery fails I still have the hybrid battery to fall back on.

View attachment 68
I have that same stove! It's pretty good, but kinda big. I'll be running a similar setup in the new Taco this year, but with only the 400w inverter. I see lots of people doing expensive Redarc setups, but im hoping just a solar battery setup is all we'll need.

Great truck and set-up and thanks for posting!

Back