Looking for perspective... Getty Adventures Video

Fightnfire

Quick background: Getty Adventures is a Heavy Duty Diesel Mechanic. He has a great YouTube channel that focuses on 1/2 ton and 3/4 ton trucks usually going over engine design, what he likes and dislikes about the design and towing comparisons. He does great videos and I've learned a lot about the ins and outs of how the manufacturers are designing the engines.

In this video he is towing with the Chevy 6.2. His current "king of towing" is the 3.5 ecoboost. He runs the same loop and talks about acceleration, power, braking and RPM's needed to accomplish the task. He's in Canada and his loop has multiple long minor to moderate grades. This is not the Ike, but it is a consistent good course for testing.

I'm asking for perspective becasue I'm not understanding his outcome. The ecoboost runs at 3,000 RPM on the hills to maintain 65 MPH. No struggling and plenty of power. The 6.2 runs those same hills at 3,500 RPM, also no struggling and plenty of power. This seems to be the basis for his decision that the ecoboost is the better towing engine. Lower RPM's. However, the 6.2 Chevy also has much cooler temps, transmission etc. and at the end of the loop it was 30% more fuel efficient than the Ford. 5.8 vs 7.6, that's a huge disparity. The ecoboost is designed for maximum torque at a much lower RPM than the 6.2 3,000ish and 4,100ish.

Taking into consideration MPG and Temperatures, why does 500 RPM matter so much to him? I'm confused...

After watching the video, I think it was just a point he was making to highlight the difference between an NA engine and a turbo engine. He also seems to consider RPM more of a comfort thing than anything else.

At the end of the video, the ecoboost performed slightly better on acceleration, maintaining speed and lower RPM`s but like you said and he mentions, the 6.2L was much better on gas. He did mention all of the positives for the engine and transmission and he seems to really like it for towing.

Personally, I would pick a 6.2 before the 3.5 from Ford, lifters be damn ;)

I am waiting for the 3.5 VS the Ram 3.0 comparison . seems to me that Stelantis is not to confident .

I am waiting for the 3.5 VS the Ram 3.0 comparison . seems to me that Stelantis is not to confident .
Might also be an availability thing. They are just starting to show up on dealers lot in Canada. Even Canadian channels with bigger following like Truck King did not receive one on their home turf for testing.

That’s all about logistics. For example, I get a Ram 1500 tradesman in a few weeks, but I have no access to an EcoBoost at the moment. Lining things up is really tough.

Taking into consideration MPG and Temperatures, why does 500 RPM matter so much to him? I'm confused...
Sorry, finally got a chance to watch this. I'm with you. While the EcoBoost does deliver lower RPMs for max torque and thereby tows smoother than the 6.2L V8, that's not taking into account all the other variables. Like you said, MPG and temperatures should have factored into this as well.

I also wonder if he based his conclusions on the more expensive gas for the 6.2L V8 and EcoBoost. The 6.2L V8 requires premium fuel for maximum performance. This is similar to the 3.5L EcoBoost that runs on 87 octane UNLESS you are towing than the manual calls for premium.

That's the hard part of the towing tests - taking into account ALL the factors. I consistently get people who ask me which engine pulls better. I respond with the engine isn't the whole story.

For me, there's the transmission, MPG and the towing technology. Yup, I know we are all men who can tow dammit (get off my lawn). However, some of the towing technology like blind-spot monitoring with a trailer, setting up the truck for your trailer, the two tow/haul modes like in the Tundra, all play a role.

Sorry, finally got a chance to watch this. I'm with you. While the EcoBoost does deliver lower RPMs for max torque and thereby tows smoother than the 6.2L V8, that's not taking into account all the other variables. Like you said, MPG and temperatures should have factored into this as well.

I also wonder if he based his conclusions on the more expensive gas for the 6.2L V8 and EcoBoost. The 6.2L V8 requires premium fuel for maximum performance. This is similar to the 3.5L EcoBoost that runs on 87 octane UNLESS you are towing than the manual calls for premium.

That's the hard part of the towing tests - taking into account ALL the factors. I consistently get people who ask me which engine pulls better. I respond with the engine isn't the whole story.

For me, there's the transmission, MPG and the towing technology. Yup, I know we are all men who can tow dammit (get off my lawn). However, some of the towing technology like blind-spot monitoring with a trailer, setting up the truck for your trailer, the two tow/haul modes like in the Tundra, all play a role.

I chuckle at how many Ford owners don't know that, it also recommends premium fuel for all around maximum performance just like the 6.2.

I chuckle at how many Ford owners don't know that, it also recommends premium fuel for all around maximum performance just like the 6.2.
Yup, had arguments with a lot of Ford Ranger forum users about the need to put at least 91 octane when towing or for maximum performance. It's right there in the manual!

If the duty cycle of the engine is such that it can operate under heavy loads at it's peak torque RPM why does it matter if one is 500 RPM lower than the other. Especially considering one is a TT V6 and the other is a NA V8. It doesn't make sense to me and seems like a very arbitrary way to test or rate engines against eachother.

Back