Interesting Payload Article

Beninbeta

I posted this yesterday, but it disappeared. I thought this was interesting and pretty much what most normal, non-enthusiasts would do in a similar situation. However at least this person did have some idea what the payload was. My thought here is most people would say I have a truck, it has a bed, fill it with rocks and it'll be fine. Anyway just thought I would share!

I posted this yesterday, but it disappeared. I thought this was interesting and pretty much what most normal, non-enthusiasts would do in a similar situation. However at least this person did have some idea what the payload was. My thought here is most people would say I have a truck, it has a bed, fill it with rocks and it'll be fine. Anyway just thought I would share!

I kept begging him to look at the sticker and tell us what the payload was! (maybe it didn't have one because it was a pre-production?)

1709664652694.png

The rear suspension sure seems to hang low even short of max payload.

I'm certainly less experienced than a lot of people here in the truck world, having been out of it for 20 years, but generally, it's not a great idea to put all of the payload in the bed right? The other funny thing is he is saying the max is 1380-1710, but everyone posting pictures of theirs shows 1200. It was a pre-production truck though.

So if he weighs 150 lbs 1111 + 150 = 1261

My whole point about my payload post was kind of this. Brands have to build trucks with this in mind. And if the GVWR rating I posted in the other thread is correct, the truck would have a 2000 lbs payload, not 1200. Which is probably why they list it at 1200 so people don't get too close to that number. But it would have been nice, if that is true, for them to targeted like 1400-1500 lbs.

It does make me wonder how many people are blissfully unaware and are driving around several hundred pounds over their payload. At least I'm trying to stay within the number on the door with my build out.

@Fightnfire it's good trucks are overbuilt in most cases then!

It is and it's a pet peeve of mine. Every time my father in law hooks up his trailer he's a couple hundred pounds over his payload. I've tried explaining it and either he thinks I'm wrong (which is likely) or he just doesn't care. This came up recently when I tried explaining why his new loaded Laramie couldn't tow as much as his older Bighorn. He was irritated when he found out, but he's one of those guys that doesn't really want to know why.

It's hard to blame him too much though, the manufacturers play with these towing numbers (part of why I can't be a Ford fan) and throw them out and in some cases (Ram & Ford) make is really hard to figure out how much you can actually tow. Plus, the trailer dealers play right into the game with them.

When I purchased my new trailer in late 2021 the trailer dealer had to have me sign an agreement that I understood what the towing capacity of my truck was etc. The salesman worked up the sheet and had the highest tow rating GM makes in the box as what my truck could tow. I'm at 9100 because of the AT4 package. I knew I was fine with the trailer I was purchasing but many people buying a trailer don't. They would have walked out of the dealership thinking their truck could tow 12,500 or whatever the highest number was for a GMC.

Not to mention wet vs. dry weight, tongue load capacity, all the shit you have in the truck with you including your family etc. It adds up fast.

I think the same thing when I see all the overland Jeeps, Tacoma's etc. driving around every day with who knows how many hundreds of pounds of added accessories that just stay on the vehicle all the time. I had a buddy who use to take his wife and two kids overlanding all the time in his Pro Tacoma. After running some basic numbers he got his wife a 4Runner and now they go in two separate vehicles because of space, and weight. (They're in a large group so not a big deal splitting up) I'm not into overlanding much so I wonder how much all of that stuff weighs... RTT, Bumpers, winches, bed racks, traction aids, jacks, sliders, skid plates, plus all the gear and occupants. The TRD Pro has what? 1k payload? Jeeps 900-1300? His family alone is 550-600ish (guess) that leaves 400 lbs for gear and all added modifications to the truck.

Stepping off the soap box now...

I'm on there with you! I know you have seen my famous data sheets. And with two lighter people and a dog, I'm having to figure out what we can and cannot take with us!

I just have to say, WTF?? “The Tacoma's maximum payload is listed as between 1,380 and 1,705 pounds for the 4x4 Double Cab. I'm honestly not sure where the TRD Off-Road falls in that range,”

A few things: Either reach out to Toyota PR and get an answer. State it is a pre-production. OR show a picture of the door jamb without the sticker.

That to me killed the entire article.

Also, no mention of bump stops? No pics of the underside of the truck? Such a wasted opportunity.

You're right, he would have been much better if he would have led with "my door jamb sticker states xxx, and I loaded this". You would have done so much better Tim. And the Tacoma manual is so terribly written. They confuse the issue by using non-standard terms that they don't even use consistently. Like "Load capacity" and " luggage compartment". Where the hell is the luggage compartment on a Taco?

I think he knows his audience.... and it ain't a truck enthusiast. An average wknd-warrior would find this simple article extremely helpful. "I can go down to the nursery and get 1100 lbs of rock, check". Telling them GAWR, etc. would just go right over their heads. Yes, they should understand it, but they just don't care, and they never will. It's how I answer questions from my accountant brother-in-law. But he answers likewise when I ask him tax questions. Unfortunately, we'll still see 10 sheets of 3/4" ply strapped to the roof of a Prius. I follow behind slowly waiting for the opportunity to get free plywood!

But I still want to know what config allows the 1709? I've seen a press release stating 1709 max for both hybrid and non so it can't be just the Pro and Trailhunter as they are hybrid only, correct?

But I still want to know what config allows the 1709? I've seen a press release stating 1709 max for both hybrid and non so it can't be just the Pro and Trailhunter as they are hybrid only, correct?
Yes that would be great. @testerdahl do you still have your marketing jibberjabber from Toyota? What payload numbers where on that?

Yes that would be great. @testerdahl do you still have your marketing jibberjabber from Toyota? What payload numbers where on that?
I asked my rep to see if he still has them. I got an out of office response, so it could be a day or so. I don't recall if they did list the payload numbers.

I think the more tech and data storage the new vehicles get, as well as online connectivity, the manufacturers can simply look at the data files and negate warranty claims. After the video Tim posted today, I was thinking about the F150 that has built in scales. I'm sure the vehicles will store that along with a whole lot of other info. Even if the payload sticker info is not provided, the actual use data could be stored and compared to what the manufactured rated that particular vehicle. If they aren't doing it now, I'm sure they will in the future.

I think the more tech and data storage the new vehicles get, as well as online connectivity, the manufacturers can simply look at the data files and negate warranty claims. After the video Tim posted today, I was thinking about the F150 that has built in scales. I'm sure the vehicles will store that along with a whole lot of other info. Even if the payload sticker info is not provided, the actual use data could be stored and compared to what the manufactured rated that particular vehicle. If they aren't doing it now, I'm sure they will in the future.
I was thinking the same thing today! I knew some Ford's had scales, but I wasn't sure if they were for payload or towing.

I was thinking the same thing today! I knew some Ford's had scales, but I wasn't sure if they were for payload or towing.
They work for both. Anything compressing that rear suspension. I haven't actually seen it working other than videos. Neat gimmick but not sure how useful. I think the simpler way is just an overload switch. So you know when you load too much firewood. You exceed the max, the lights start flashing and the horn beeps.

But I see the issue right now. "Come on honey! We gotta go!". Wife jumps in and gets those lights flashing. So now your truck is calling her fat? Yeah, buddy, hope it's a crew cab cause you gonna be sleeping in that truck.

I have a Curt Betterweigh, It works really well and is surprisingly accurate. I used it to get dialed in when I first got my trailer and then went to the scales and verified, I was pretty surprised how close it was. I don't use it much anymore because I know the weights of everything. So I don't need it but it does do active payload as you add weight to the vehicle which is cool, it all runs through an app on your phone and the Bluetooth dongle in the OBD2 port

I have a Curt Betterweigh, It works really well and is surprisingly accurate. I used it to get dialed in when I first got my trailer and then went to the scales and verified, I was pretty surprised how close it was. I don't use it much anymore because I know the weights of everything. So I don't need it but it does do active payload as you add weight to the vehicle which is cool, it all runs through an app on your phone and the Bluetooth dongle in the OBD2 port
Agreed. It is surprisingly accurate. It can be a pain to get it set-up and reading correctly but once it does, it's fine. Now I have a scale to weigh tongue weight and cargo for good estimates to verify. The Betterweigh wasn't far off.

Back