IDASH DATA MONSTER POWER CYCLING

NMTRUCKER

So I have both an IDASH data monster and a supergauge in my ‘23 GMC SIERRA 1500 with the LZ0. These gauges have been in my truck for over a year. A few days ago both gauges started constantly power cycling (on-off-on-off…). It turns out that the SanDisk in the data monster gauge was completely full and so it had nowhere to store additional data. I just downloaded all the data files then erased them from the SanDisk and reinstalled. Both gauges returned to normal operation. Just thought I’d pass that along if anyone encounters the power cycling issue.

So I have both an IDASH data monster and a supergauge in my ‘23 GMC SIERRA 1500 with the LZ0. These gauges have been in my truck for over a year. A few days ago both gauges started constantly power cycling (on-off-on-off…). It turns out that the SanDisk in the data monster gauge was completely full and so it had nowhere to store additional data. I just downloaded all the data files then erased them from the SanDisk and reinstalled. Both gauges returned to normal operation. Just thought I’d pass that along if anyone encounters the power cycling issue.
Is it due to the auto start/stop? Mine would cycle with the start stop.

Is it due to the auto start/stop? Mine would cycle with the start stop.
No, in the IDASH settings menu you can setup the gauge to ignore the stop/start feature. My power cycling was due to the micro SD DISK was full. If you only have a supergage you shouldn’t have a problem.

No, in the IDASH settings menu you can setup the gauge to ignore the stop/start feature. My power cycling was due to the micro SD DISK was full. If you only have a supergage you shouldn’t have a problem.
Really? 🤔 I’ll have to look for that setting.

Thanks for the heads up on cycling and the tip on dealing with start/stop. I really need to dig into the manual. Beyond setting up the gauges I wanted I haven't done much with the data monster.

Have either of you gotten any pushback from a dealer over having an iDash installed? A couple of weeks ago I took my truck in for a CEL and the guy at the service desk recommended removing the 'aftermarket equipment' until after the warranty expired.

I pushed back on that saying "it's just an OBD2 monitor." He told me that if the tech thought the iDash caused the problem they could deny warranty. After the service he added that GM will occasionally request pictures and if they saw the iDash in the picture GM could void my warranty. He even added a note on my service ticket that I had been advised to remover aftermarket equipment.

Thanks for the heads up on cycling and the tip on dealing with start/stop. I really need to dig into the manual. Beyond setting up the gauges I wanted I haven't done much with the data monster.

Have either of you gotten any pushback from a dealer over having an iDash installed? A couple of weeks ago I took my truck in for a CEL and the guy at the service desk recommended removing the 'aftermarket equipment' until after the warranty expired.

I pushed back on that saying "it's just an OBD2 monitor." He told me that if the tech thought the iDash caused the problem they could deny warranty. After the service he added that GM will occasionally request pictures and if they saw the iDash in the picture GM could void my warranty. He even added a note on my service ticket that I had been advised to remover aftermarket equipment.
I remember seeing your post about this. I do my own maintenance on my truck but if for some reason I had to take it to a dealer I would remove my IDASH, at least while it was still under warranty, for peace of mind. I made my own IDASH mount that attaches to the A-pillar and just ran the cable on the outside of the trim so it’s no more than 5 minutes to remove.

I do my own maintenance as well. The last visit was for a CEL, the next, and only planned dealer visit will be for the free service at 5-7k miles. My iDash is in a Banks column mount so a bit more difficult to remove. I'll probably unplug it from the OBD2 before bringing it in but it's unlikely I'll remove it. I'm kind of interested in seeing if a different service writer has the same issue with it.

I do my own maintenance as well. The last visit was for a CEL, the next, and only planned dealer visit will be for the free service at 5-7k miles. My iDash is in a Banks column mount so a bit more difficult to remove. I'll probably unplug it from the OBD2 before bringing it in but it's unlikely I'll remove it. I'm kind of interested in seeing if a different service writer has the same issue with it.
Keep us posted👍

Back