How many videos do you watch before you buy?

testerdahl

Administrator
Staff member
I’ve been seeing TFL do every thought/test I could think of currently on the new Tacoma they have a press loan. This brings up a question in my mind on what I can do differently. Plus, I wonder how many other videos on a truck a shopper wants to see. How many different perspectives are people looking for? What do you think? Do you watch multiple videos from different channels before you decide?

If I'm interested in a vehicle, I'll watch everything I can to help me decide as I want to buy the best product for my needs at the right price point. However, I am not very brand loyal with pretty much all products. I'm always looking for unique perspectives and I like to see if some people cover different areas in different ways.

TFL might cover a lot of areas l, it they do it pretty skin deep and honestly miss a lot of things that I think most normal people would want to know. As an example, two 50 mile hwy tests tell you what you might get if you take a road trip or have a long commute. They didn't mention the MPGs for the entire week or just driving in the city. They didn't cover any of the bed features that I saw in terms of how well or when they'll work.

TFL talked about not liking the software, but only showed like one issue. If something is frustrating, be more precise about what it is. I thought their coverage was kind of lacking. Why didn't they take it off road at all? People with a limited might still be outdoors people. Where does that chin run into issues, how capable is it without the chin?

I liked that they showed how easy it was to take the chin off and compared the MPGs w/wo. The slip test and Andre's Pit are ok, but not super real world and the drag race is again not super real world, but it was good to see the 4th gen truck performs better than the 3rd gen.

Hopefully that's helpful.

I watch multiple videos (4-5 or so from different youtubers) because i want different perspectives and sometimes one video will not discuss a certain aspect that another video will. One thing i always look for in a video that is very important to me is predicted reliability. But rarely does a youtube video discuss that. I always have to look that info up online. I realize that is extra work for a youtuber but i also think that would set him/her apart from the others.

I watch as many videos as time allows and analyze everything for days, weeks, months, or even years. Paralysis analysis is an area I need to work on. I always seem to find one or two little things I do not like and it causes me to re-think everything.

Buying a new rig is such a big expense, you want it to be perfect and that is not realistic. I am a dreamer.

I’ve been seeing TFL do every thought/test I could think of currently on the new Tacoma they have a press loan. This brings up a question in my mind on what I can do differently. Plus, I wonder how many other videos on a truck a shopper wants to see. How many different perspectives are people looking for? What do you think? Do you watch multiple videos from different channels before you decide?
It took me 4 years to decide on a pickup truck part of that delay attributed to the pandemic. Initially I was really interested in the 2019 new RAM 1500, however, I started following the various RAM forums and discovered that there were a myriad of problems with the rollout of that truck and also the ECO DIESEL engine.
Then the pandemic happened. Then I got interested in the new Tundra and put a deposit down on a 2022 1794. However after 6 1/2 months and no allocation I moved on.

I started looking at the Silverado and GMC SIERRA with the 3 liter diesel. I checked the Chevy/GMC forums for issues with those trucks and found most folks were happy. But what really sold me on the GMC SIERRA was your interview with the lead engineer (John Berta) of the LZ0 3 liter diesel. So I purchased a 2023 GMC SIERRA with the LZ0 just over a year ago. So yes I watch YT videos but also pay attention to the various forums.
I particularly look at the YT videos that you have with the lead engineers for information. I don’t pay attention to any interviews with the sales or CEOs folks because mostly it’s just hype. My suggestion is more videos with the folks who actually design the vehicles if you have access to them.

I watch multiple videos (4-5 or so from different youtubers) because i want different perspectives and sometimes one video will not discuss a certain aspect that another video will. One thing i always look for in a video that is very important to me is predicted reliability. But rarely does a youtube video discuss that. I always have to look that info up online. I realize that is extra work for a youtuber but i also think that would set him/her apart from the others.
Predicted reliability is an interesting point. I get so many hate comments over it, I’m very hesitant how much I bring it up.

Being old enough to be around long before the internet, videos are much more helpful than magazine articles were but, in the end, I need to see it and/or experience it before I make a choice. Only my opinion matters when I buy. And no matter how hard an auto journalist tries not to, every story ends up with a slant. Yeah, I get it, it's not like there is a new vehicle being released every day, so content needs to be "created". And we will watch it anyway to see if anything new pops out regardless of whether we agree with the subject. Like your price comparison of the Taco/AT4, too many results are possible because each offer too many different things in the options. I had them within $1k the way I built them.

As for "predicted reliability", I think it's great to hear the industry numbers from CR, JD and others. Why not? It's only one more aspect of the purchase. We want all that info when we purchase anything, but some will put more weight into it than others. I find it hilarious that people give you crap over it. Data is just data, and you are just delivering it. It's like TFL's drag race, I'm sure some Tacoma fans argued about the results against the Colorado. They also (TFL) "rant" too much about their personal biases. "I don't like the door ajar warning! It won't go off!" No s**t, neither did the one in my 2003 Ram, get over it.

Other than that rant, Happy New Year everybody!

Last edited:
As many as I can get my hands on, I was introduced to your page and some others when I was shopping for my current truck. I had been in a 2009 Tacoma for 10 years and 200k miles. I thought I wanted a F150 and then a new Tundra or possibly even a Rebel. The Tundra was quickly out when I saw it in person and the fords, for what I wanted, were expensive. After I spent time driving all of them the AT4 was the clear winner for me. I think I watched every single video out there on all the half tons from 2021 early 22 models.

I read forums, watch videos constantly, and talk to friends about their vehicles to keep up with good and bad trends with manufacturers and particular vehicles/engines that interest me. For example, I like diesels, but when it comes down to buying one, the cost/benefit has never worked out for me. I was a Nissan/Toyota guy for years, then bought a used Silverado that ended up being a good vehicle. I never thought I would buy a Ford, but in 2018 my 03 Sequoia needed a lot of work and it just wasn’t worth it. After the Ecoboosts had been out over 200k miles, I was open minded enough to consider one. When I drove the 2.7 I was amazed with the power. After owning it, I was amazed with the efficiency.

As you have probably noticed, I despise most of the software in vehicles. Car companies should get out of the software business. Every vehicle I have owned since the 2010 model year has had software that makes the overall vehicle experience worse.

CarPlay and Android Auto are o.k. Everything else is awful. Worse is the all of the privacy issues with audio recording, telematics, and location tracking.

Last edited:
Back