High mileage

Opinionseeking1

Hello everyone,
I like the older model trucks. I'm looking at a 2010 F-150 ($17,000) with 94,000 miles on it. It looks very well maintained, inside and out, but I'm struggling. Would it be wise to purchase it at that age, with those miles and that price? I know ultimately, the decision is mine to make but it's also very wise to seek the opinion of others.
Thanks in advance@

No idea what 14 year old trucks are selling for but 94,000 seems pretty low for such an old truck.

Hello everyone,
I like the older model trucks. I'm looking at a 2010 F-150 ($17,000) with 94,000 miles on it. It looks very well maintained, inside and out, but I'm struggling. Would it be wise to purchase it at that age, with those miles and that price? I know ultimately, the decision is mine to make but it's also very wise to seek the opinion of others.
Thanks in advance@
Seems like it was taken care of. Have it inspected by a trusted mechanic. I have a 2003 Silverado 2500HD (4x4) with 165,000 that still runs well but I keep up the maintenance and if something breaks I get it fixed. Good luck.

Seems like it was taken care of. Have it inspected by a trusted mechanic. I have a 2003 Silverado 2500HD (4x4) with 165,000 that still runs well but I keep up the maintenance and if something breaks I get it fixed. Good luck.
Thank you. I sincerely appreciate your response

What motor is in it? Also, have you looked up the service records? 4x4?
It has a 5.4L V8 engine. The service records looks great! It's a 4x2. One thing that bothers me, though; lots of people use that type of truck for heavy towing; big campers. big boats, which can shorten the life of a truck.
Thanks so much for responding!

It has a 5.4L V8 engine. The service records looks great! It's a 4x2. One thing that bothers me, though; lots of people use that type of truck for heavy towing; big campers. big boats, which can shorten the life of a truck.
Thanks so much for responding!

If the interior matches the mileage which should be low use looking that's good. Does it have a brake controller? Is the hitch beat up and rusted like it's had a good amount of use? Trailer wiring all still in good shape?

If you're worried about towing I would check those above items and transmission fluid, unless it's a sealed system. If so, I would consider getting a system flush after purchase.

If the interior matches the mileage which should be low use looking that's good. Does it have a brake controller? Is the hitch beat up and rusted like it's had a good amount of use? Trailer wiring all still in good shape?

If you're worried about towing I would check those above items and transmission fluid, unless it's a sealed system. If so, I would consider getting a system flush after purchase.
Thank you so much, sir. I will certainly check those things out.
Thanks again@

I have a 2008 with the 5.4 3V. If the oil is changed frequently, there are no issues. I bought it used in 2020 with 121k from the original owner who had maintenance records. I religiously change the oil every 3k miles on it. I know have 153k miles and its runs as good as ever, just wish I didn't have rust issues.

The two-piece spark plug problem was resolved in 2008 so that does not apply in your case.

You need to look for rust on these trucks, very common problem. Check the frame rails, cab corners, rear wheel wells - this where they commonly rust. If the truck has a drop in bedliner, check the box for rust - they rust through due to trapped moisture. We have a 2013 and the first rust spot is appearing on the inside of the rear bumper at 91k miles which is similar to what you are looking at.

IF you buy any used vehicle - not just this particular truck - try to find a one owner vehicle from a private owner. You will know right away whether it was well kept. Ask for records for all maintenance. Documentation is key. Pay the premium for a well taken care of truck, they are hard to find.

If you decide to look at 2011-2014 so you can avoid the 5.4 3V engine, I strongly suggest getting the 5.0 V8 and avoid the first generation 3.5L V6 EcoBoost. They had a lot of issues.

Follow FordTech Makuloco on You Tube, he is great with explaining all of the issues with Ford engines and transmissions.

Good luck and keep us posted.

I have a 2008 with the 5.4 3V. If the oil is changed frequently, there are no issues. I bought it used in 2020 with 121k from the original owner who had maintenance records. I religiously change the oil every 3k miles on it. I know have 153k miles and its runs as good as ever, just wish I didn't have rust issues.

The two-piece spark plug problem was resolved in 2008 so that does not apply in your case.

You need to look for rust on these trucks, very common problem. Check the frame rails, cab corners, rear wheel wells - this where they commonly rust. If the truck has a drop in bedliner, check the box for rust - they rust through due to trapped moisture. We have a 2013 and the first rust spot is appearing on the inside of the rear bumper at 91k miles which is similar to what you are looking at.

IF you buy any used vehicle - not just this particular truck - try to find a one owner vehicle from a private owner. You will know right away whether it was well kept. Ask for records for all maintenance. Documentation is key. Pay the premium for a well taken care of truck, they are hard to find.

If you decide to look at 2011-2014 so you can avoid the 5.4 3V engine, I strongly suggest getting the 5.0 V8 and avoid the first generation 3.5L V6 EcoBoost. They had a lot of issues.

Follow FordTech Makuloco on You Tube, he is great with explaining all of the issues with Ford engines and transmissions.

Good luck and keep us posted.
Good afternoon,
I am eternally grateful for this information and will definitely take heed to what you have shared with me.
Searching for a good preowned automobile can be nerve-wracking.
Thank you so much!

Back