Hi All! Buying in 2024.

DeanCHS1980

Hi Tim & All,

Just completed our 8th season of camping with our 2005 Casita 17 Freedom Deluxe molded fiberglass camper. As empty nesters, we purchased the camper in November, 2015. I had never towed in my life. We purchased a 2009 Kia Borrego Limited V8 mid-size SUV (335 hp, 325 lb ft of torque, and rated to two 7,500 lbs) in December, 2015. It had 83,000 miles on it and now has 160,000 miles on it. It has been an exceptional tow vehicle and daily driver. Our camping adventures have included 374 nights of camping in 15 states towing 32,000 miles. Our plans in the future will be to take multi-week to multi-month trips towing our camper.

I got lucky in 2021 (June 30) and was able to retire early at 58. During the pandemic (starting in March, 2020), I started visiting dealership lots on Sundays to research pickup trucks with a Starbucks in hand along with our Mississippi Maltese, Mr. Gibbs, with with his pup cup in paw. I have also watched literally thousands of pickup truck videos on YouTube. Pickup Truck + SUV talk is one of my top 3 favorite channels.

Part of my early retirement included a commitment to no new toys until my wife and I turn 62 at the end of 2024 and start early social security. So in 2024, I will be raising my truck research game with the plan of purchasing about a year from now. I literally have every mid-size truck on my list - Canyon/Colorado, Frontier, Gladiator, Ranger, Ridgeline, and Tacoma. We are leaning mid-size. Since our camper only weighs 2,900 lbs., we want a minimum tow capacity of 5,000 lbs. I also see payload as often being more important than tow capacity. Given we will be hauling camping gear with a camper shell/topper, I would like a minimum of around 1,500 lbs of payload. I have no brand loyalty and no major preference in terms of normally aspirated 6 cylinder vs turbocharged 4 cylinder. I also value variables such as safety, crash test ratings, and reliability. We will also cross shop 1/2 ton trucks. We will look at lightly optioned base trim 1/2 tons as an alternative to mid-trim midsize trucks. If we go with a 1/2 ton, I prefer the quad cab with a 6’ bed over the crew cab and smaller bed. It is only my wife and I, so I want a bigger truck bed and I am not that concerned about rear seat size.

I inherited by sister’s 1967 Chevy C10 when she passed over 20 years ago. I drove it locally for years hauling mulch, running errands to box stores, or transporting my mountain bikes. I gifted it to my nephew a few years ago after becoming a camping fanatic and knowing that I would never use the ‘67 for cross country camping trips. I also learned to drive on a 1968 Jeep Gladiator full-size pickup truck in the late 1970s. It was a beast.

In any case, I look forward to being a part of the forum and learning as much about trucks as possible with the plan of purchasing a truck next year to haul our camper.

Tim, thank you for your expertise, your passion for trucks and SUVs, and for creating this forum and community.

Take care,

Dean

Hi Tim & All,

Just completed our 8th season of camping with our 2005 Casita 17 Freedom Deluxe molded fiberglass camper. As empty nesters, we purchased the camper in November, 2015. I had never towed in my life. We purchased a 2009 Kia Borrego Limited V8 mid-size SUV (335 hp, 325 lb ft of torque, and rated to two 7,500 lbs) in December, 2015. It had 83,000 miles on it and now has 160,000 miles on it. It has been an exceptional tow vehicle and daily driver. Our camping adventures have included 374 nights of camping in 15 states towing 32,000 miles. Our plans in the future will be to take multi-week to multi-month trips towing our camper.

I got lucky in 2021 (June 30) and was able to retire early at 58. During the pandemic (starting in March, 2020), I started visiting dealership lots on Sundays to research pickup trucks with a Starbucks in hand along with our Mississippi Maltese, Mr. Gibbs, with with his pup cup in paw. I have also watched literally thousands of pickup truck videos on YouTube. Pickup Truck + SUV talk is one of my top 3 favorite channels.

Part of my early retirement included a commitment to no new toys until my wife and I turn 62 at the end of 2024 and start early social security. So in 2024, I will be raising my truck research game with the plan of purchasing about a year from now. I literally have every mid-size truck on my list - Canyon/Colorado, Frontier, Gladiator, Ranger, Ridgeline, and Tacoma. We are leaning mid-size. Since our camper only weighs 2,900 lbs., we want a minimum tow capacity of 5,000 lbs. I also see payload as often being more important than tow capacity. Given we will be hauling camping gear with a camper shell/topper, I would like a minimum of around 1,500 lbs of payload. I have no brand loyalty and no major preference in terms of normally aspirated 6 cylinder vs turbocharged 4 cylinder. I also value variables such as safety, crash test ratings, and reliability. We will also cross shop 1/2 ton trucks. We will look at lightly optioned base trim 1/2 tons as an alternative to mid-trim midsize trucks. If we go with a 1/2 ton, I prefer the quad cab with a 6’ bed over the crew cab and smaller bed. It is only my wife and I, so I want a bigger truck bed and I am not that concerned about rear seat size.

I inherited by sister’s 1967 Chevy C10 when she passed over 20 years ago. I drove it locally for years hauling mulch, running errands to box stores, or transporting my mountain bikes. I gifted it to my nephew a few years ago after becoming a camping fanatic and knowing that I would never use the ‘67 for cross country camping trips. I also learned to drive on a 1968 Jeep Gladiator full-size pickup truck in the late 1970s. It was a beast.

In any case, I look forward to being a part of the forum and learning as much about trucks as possible with the plan of purchasing a truck next year to haul our camper.

Tim, thank you for your expertise, your passion for trucks and SUVs, and for creating this forum and community.

Take care,

Dean

All I can say is lucky!! You have the life man. It is a great time to shop midsize trucks and trucks in general. Let me know what questions you have.

I've enjoyed my F150 STX. Comfortable, quiet, economical. 6-1/2' bed. Lightly optioned. 1656 lb payload. 7200 lb tow rating. Great power and good mileage. Drove it from Alabama to the Arctic Ocean and back last year towing a ~2500lb trailer with spare wheels and tires, my motorcyle, tools and fuel. Averaged 18mpg over 14,000 miles towing the trailer. You'd get less with the Casita due to wind drag. I am about to buy a small-ish travel trailer like the Casita.

The way midsize prices and performance are, something like this would probably cost the same or less than a mid size, and get the same fuel economy.

Attachments

• IMG_5699 Large.jpeg
    IMG_5699 Large.jpeg
    760.2 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_3711 Large.jpeg
    IMG_3711 Large.jpeg
    463.6 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
I've enjoyed my F150 STX. Comfortable, quiet, economical. 6-1/2' bed. Lightly optioned. 1656 lb payload. 7200 lb tow rating. Great power and good mileage. Drove it from Alabama to the Arctic Ocean and back last year towing a ~2500lb trailer with spare wheels and tires, my motorcyle, tools and fuel. Averaged 18mpg over 14,000 miles towing the trailer. You'd get less with the Casita due to wind drag. I am about to buy a small-ish travel trailer like the Casita.

The way midsize prices and performance are, something like this would probably cost the same or less than a mid size, and get the same fuel economy.

Exactly! I am a fan of the F150 XL with the STX package. LOL, I would do it like you have. 6.5‘ bed. Lightly optioned. For 2024, the STX “package” has become a standalone trim. Better mileage. More function. Etc. than most midsize trucks. I will definitely cross shop 1/2 ton trucks such as your STX. 2024 is the last year for the Nissan Titan. Mabye there will be discounts on those at the end of 2024. As we all know, trucks are expensive. I will be looking for the best relative value. If need be, I will consider late model used as well.

By the way, we absolutely love our Casita and we are big fans of molded fiberglass campers (Casita, Scamp, Escape, Oliver, Bigfoot, etc.).

Back