HD Truck

TheDo114

Hi folks,

Some of you might have seen my previous thread about purchasing a truck and it looks like I might need an HD truck to stay within payload specs.

I will not consider a RAM HD truck since the payload in the 2500 class is too low and their HD trucks needs to be badly updated. I know I'm looking at used truck but a 3-4 year old GM/Ford HD is still much nicer and has enough payload. That is, unless you can convince me otherwise ;)

Use case:
  1. I do around 25 000kms (15 500mi) per year.
  2. I drive 60km (37mi) per day to and from work on a mix of side road and highway.
  3. I tow and haul around 12 000km (7500mi) per year and a third of that is while off-roading to go hunting. The rest of my towing is on the highway in hilly terrain but no mountain or Ike Gauntlet.
  4. I use my truck for commuting, hunting, fishing and spend around 30% of my time off the pavement.
  5. Max load I carry is usually 5500 pounds on a utility trailer while the bed is full of the rest of my gear.
  6. Payload when loaded is around 1700lbs. Might be 400-500 lbs heavier but for less than 10 times during the year.
Preferences:
  1. 2500/F250 type truck
  2. 4x4 with low ranger.
  3. Tow package.
  4. Crew Cab.
  5. 6 and a half foot bed.
  6. Payload.
  7. Reliability.
  8. Apple Car Play.
  9. Hard buttons for climate control and no important function in a screen.
Looking forward to see what everyone thinks.

I'm no expert in the HD trucks but sounds like to me that you MIGHT want to consider a diesel due to the amount of driving you do. It will give you more range while off road as well. It does add weight which is a negative but I figure the life expectancy of the engine will be longer. Maintenance and fuel cost more.

I'd like to hear from some of the regulars here on this. OP has an unusual use case compared to typical everyday drivers.

I'm no expert in the HD trucks but sounds like to me that you MIGHT want to consider a diesel due to the amount of driving you do. It will give you more range while off road as well. It does add weight which is a negative but I figure the life expectancy of the engine will be longer. Maintenance and fuel cost more.

I'd like to hear from some of the regulars here on this. OP has an unusual use case compared to typical everyday drivers.
Well, when I first looked at it, seems to be a decision already made and there really isn't much to vary. Sure, nothing wrong with a decent 2500 GM/Ford. Either one would work great. Although, my recommendation would still be a 1500. I just don't see the load-out being that big. I help my cousin unload his F350 Tremor and it's a mother just climbing into the bed to grab stuff...lol. No lack of space once you get up there though. Damn nice truck.

Well, when I first looked at it, seems to be a decision already made and there really isn't much to vary. Sure, nothing wrong with a decent 2500 GM/Ford. Either one would work great. Although, my recommendation would still be a 1500. I just don't see the load-out being that big. I help my cousin unload his F350 Tremor and it's a mother just climbing into the bed to grab stuff...lol. No lack of space once you get up there though. Damn nice truck.
If you had to choose one HD truck, what would it be?

Test drove a bunch of HD truck this past week and man the fuel economy is rough. The ride is rougher but the trucks are still so nice compare to before. The new diesel make these super heavy truck feel as light as my Ranger when pressing the skinny pedal.

I’m still debating between a half-ton and a 3/4 ton truck. Half-ton ride is nicer and they’re much better on gas when unloaded, but a 3/4 ton would suit me better when I use my truck as a truck and get better fuel economy when loaded down.

If I had the need and the budget, I'd get a Power Wagon. I always wanted one but couldn't substantiate the price.

But I don't want that rougher ride, extra cost, and have to drive that big bastard just to go pick-up a pizza or go through the DairyQueen drive through. My needs are a little less than your. More like 30% towing a 5K trailer and 10K annually. The payload need varies but I have a 12ft utility trailer for big stuff, so I just want a mid-size. I can get much more truck and a better ride while being much easier to drive around town.

If you had to choose one HD truck, what would it be?

Test drove a bunch of HD truck this past week and man the fuel economy is rough. The ride is rougher but the trucks are still so nice compare to before. The new diesel make these super heavy truck feel as light as my Ranger when pressing the skinny pedal.

I’m still debating between a half-ton and a 3/4 ton truck. Half-ton ride is nicer and they’re much better on gas when unloaded, but a 3/4 ton would suit me better when I use my truck as a truck and get better fuel economy when loaded down.
If you're looking at used, maybe consider a half ton and add airbags for the limited times you haul a few hundred more pounds. Like you said, they ride so much better. I "upgraded" one of my company trucks to a F250 once because I thought I needed it for the few times I would haul heavier parts and such. I regretted every bump and jar with that damn thing. If you go with an HD, my experience is the GM/Chevy's ride better than Fords. However, if you're mostly just driving it and not hauling often, just get the half ton and save the wear and tear on your body.

If you're looking at used, maybe consider a half ton and add airbags for the limited times you haul a few hundred more pounds. Like you said, they ride so much better. I "upgraded" one of my company trucks to a F250 once because I thought I needed it for the few times I would haul heavier parts and such. I regretted every bump and jar with that damn thing. If you go with an HD, my experience is the GM/Chevy's ride better than Fords. However, if you're mostly just driving it and not hauling often, just get the half ton and save the wear and tear on your body.
Thanks for the feedback!

It’s almost 50% of my millage that is towing and hauling the weight mentioned above. It’s only a couple times a year that I add a couple hundred pounds on top of the 1700.

I’m hesitant on airbags as I had a really bad experience with them. Every time I would go to the moose camp, something that was part of the airbags system would break. It got expensive quick and the rear end of my truck was squatting pretty badly and dragging everywhere.

It’s almost 50% of my millage that is towing and hauling the weight mentioned above. It’s only a couple times a year that I add a couple hundred pounds on top of the 1700.
That's the dilemma. How to handle those extra couple trips? Which is a common issue when buying anything, trucks, guns, phones, etc. Buy a rifle that can ding them at 600yds when there are only two places I can see that far in my woods? Yep, that one had me going for some time. I try to let logic decide but not always. Logic may dictate one thing but, in the end, you gotta choose what you think will make you happy. If you can deal with the rougher ride and even rougher mpg, get the 2500! Sounds to me like you really want it. An F250 Tremor would look really nice in the driveway.....

That's the dilemma. How to handle those extra couple trips? Which is a common issue when buying anything, trucks, guns, phones, etc. Buy a rifle that can ding them at 600yds when there are only two places I can see that far in my woods? Yep, that one had me going for some time. I try to let logic decide but not always. Logic may dictate one thing but, in the end, you gotta choose what you think will make you happy. If you can deal with the rougher ride and even rougher mpg, get the 2500! Sounds to me like you really want it. An F250 Tremor would look really nice in the driveway.....
I think I expressed myself poorly. Do you think a half-ton would be fine with 1700lbs in it for 12 500 miles per year long term? If I could make it work, I’d rather get a half-ton and not deal with the extra fuel consumption and the rougher ride.

Back