has anyone turned off the fake engine noise?

I could very well be wrong but I feel like in other videos I've watched reviewers mention it is not something you can turn off. I'm sure there's a way to disable it somehow I would check the more hardcore Toyota forums It will come from a place like that first.

Edit: I was curious and dug into this a little bit without getting into too many wiring mods it seems the easiest way is to buy an OBD2 reader with write ability, evidently you can turn it off from a scan tool. Tundras.com and Reddit were recommending one called carista which is according to them about $40 on Amazon.

Also the dealership is supposed to be able to turn it off for you, not sure if it they charge for it. I also read that if you run with the tailgate down it deactivates it so there are some people saying they have modded the tailgate sensor but I would think that would have the truck think the tailgate is always open even when it's closed.

So a few different possibilities.

Edit 2: I wasn't aware of how many people don't like it, evidently when towing it's quite annoying and loud.

Last edited:
I've seen a few people do it through the dealership or OBDII sensor. They have commented on how they prefer a quiet truck. I never had an issue with it and like @Fightnfire I was surprised at the amount of people who didn't like it.

I've seen a few people do it through the dealership or OBDII sensor. They have commented on how they prefer a quiet truck. I never had an issue with it and like @Fightnfire I was surprised at the amount of people who didn't like it.
I drove a work truck with the fake engine noise. It was all well and good until a speaker got a rattle in it. I wish I had recorded the god awful noise it made so I could post it here.

Back