GM hardware and hand tools

chaseydog

I'm building up my toolbox so that I can perform basic maintenance on my 24 1500 AT4 Duramax. I've picked up a set of metric sockets and wrenches but was wondering if all of the hardware is metric or are there some SAE sizes I'll need as well?

Living in the rural's, you have to be prepared as town is a bit of a jaunt, over the years I have accumulated just a ton of tools, metric, sae and more, I have an air compressor in the garage, impact tools etc, I do fluid changes, all filters, wheel rotations, anything that bolts on, mind you there are times I just don't feel like doing the work, then I make a shop appointment.
Electrical and electronics is my forte, I did design and development for a living, I have a electronics shop in the basement where Im setup to do surface mount and other work, I have direct drive soldering irons, blowers extractors etc and a couple of microscopes to get up close and personal with components, I wont touch the electronics in the new truck till its out of warranty, if lets say per-say the infotainment system fails, GM will just swap it out with another one, if out of warranty I will remove and chase down the failed component, if there is a blown chip, I would have to track down a supplier or I just might have whats needed, over the years you collect components, there are parts you save you will never need till you need it, its happened so many times.

Because that seems to be the most common metric size. It's a running joke with mechs. I learned to always have one.....lol

10mm

I replaced the radiator in my 2006 Nissan frontier (it came with the remanufactured transmission) and I found a 10mm Snap-On impact socket on the core support, the mechanic is probably still paying payments on it.
Do you have a picture of the socket on the core support? I'm a Quality Training Lead and one of the trainings I'm currently working on is Tool Control/FOD (Foreign Object Damage). I'm in aviation, but many of our techs work on their own cars and would appreciate, the implications of losing a tool, no matter where it's lost.

Do you have a picture of the socket on the core support? I'm a Quality Training Lead and one of the trainings I'm currently working on is Tool Control/FOD (Foreign Object Damage). I'm in aviation, but many of our techs work on their own cars and would appreciate, the implications of losing a tool, no matter where it's lost.
No pictures of where it was found just one of it sitting on the upper core support.

It's amusing how often we discover tools left behind after a vehicle returns from a repair shop. So far, under my wife's Nissan, I've found oil filter wrenches and an excellent Snap-on ratchet. A screwdriver and socket appeared under my hood following warranty work. Just yesterday, I spotted a signal generator wand lying on the ground where the cable technician had been working from a bucket at the end of my driveway.

Back