First oil change

chaseydog

Just passed 1K on my 3L AT4, and now I’m wondering when the best time is to do that first oil change. My original plan was to do oil changes/tire rotations every 5K, but I’ve seen recommendations stressing the importance of replacing the ‘break in oil’ somewhere between 1 – 2K. That got me wondering if these recommendations are still valid or if they are a hold over from the 80-90’s. I plan on keeping the AT4 for at least 10 years, so will likely play it safe and change the oil sooner rather than later. The dealership covers the first service, but I’m thinking 1K is a bit early to rotate the tires.

So now I’m thinking my options are, change the oil myself at 1K and then bring the truck to the dealer at 2.5K for oil and tire rotation, or just hold off till 2.5K and let the dealer do the 1st oil change along with the tire rotation. I’ll most likely go with the first option but was wonder how you all feel about that 1st oil change.

I'm a fan of the early 1st oil change. I think I took mine to the dealer for the first one around 1k miles. Then I did another at 4k. I also keep oil on me and try to keep it completely topped off but that's a 5.3/6.2 problem I'm trying to keep at bay, not the 3.0.

I would do the first oil change around 1K-2,5K, do the breaking procedure the manufacturer suggest, its usually the same with all OEM's, Im a bit of a stickler at the first oil change, I did it early on my 07 5.7 Ram at the dealer, I gave the mechanic a plastic bag as I wanted the oil filter, at home I cut it open to have a look, and yes its a little messy, when I get my LZ0 Duramax I will most likely do the first oil change at home, also change the fuel filter early, I will examine both filters, diesel fuel systems are expensive when they fail, it might be a little paranoia, but I don't care, since both Ram 5.7 and GM LZ0 have vertical oil filters, I will fill the filter with oil, Im a fan of that, I'll do anything to get oil to the bearings fast, there is a video on youtube on this, I was doing this before youtube was even a thing. Enjoy your 3.0 AT4, I also keep my trucks for a long time.

Just passed 1K on my 3L AT4, and now I’m wondering when the best time is to do that first oil change. My original plan was to do oil changes/tire rotations every 5K, but I’ve seen recommendations stressing the importance of replacing the ‘break in oil’ somewhere between 1 – 2K. That got me wondering if these recommendations are still valid or if they are a hold over from the 80-90’s. I plan on keeping the AT4 for at least 10 years, so will likely play it safe and change the oil sooner rather than later. The dealership covers the first service, but I’m thinking 1K is a bit early to rotate the tires.

So now I’m thinking my options are, change the oil myself at 1K and then bring the truck to the dealer at 2.5K for oil and tire rotation, or just hold off till 2.5K and let the dealer do the 1st oil change along with the tire rotation. I’ll most likely go with the first option but was wonder how you all feel about that 1st oil change.
When to conduct the first oil change is debated more than what brand is best for what car. I look at it like this: what is the point of changing the oil early on a new engine to begin with? Well, the most common reason is that the engine was just manufactured and may have some flash left in the assembly as well as create more when it breaks-in, so you wanna get that stuff out of the lubrication system as soon as possible.

Using that logic, some recommend changing it after just 50-100 miles. Then again after 1K, 3K, etc. If leaving it in there is bad, why wait until 1K miles to remove it? Hard to argue with that.

All that being said, the only time I did something earlier than the manufacturer spec'd was when I installed an engine I assembled myself. I did it at 25, 500, then normal intervals from that point. Being an old engine, that interval was 3k. That was back in 1995 and it's got about 14oK on it right now. Best advice? Do what makes you feel comfortable without violating the warranty requirements.

Based on what i’ve learned it’s best to change the oil often until the 10k mark. often meaning the first one very early, like 1k miles, the second stretch it out a bit, maybe 2k Later. So now you’re at 3k. Do the next one at 3k putting your odometer at 6k, then do one at 10k then go to your normal oil change schedule. The reason for this is parts like bearings and bushings are wearing in. congrats on the new truck.

I’ve changed oil on all the trucks I’ve bought at different mileage. I’ve also sent the oil in for analysis from Blackstone lab. I’ve never seen any difference changing it early versus waiting.

I also talked with Shell about it. Yeah, they are biased. They said you are just wasting oil changing early.

My wife’s uncle says oil is cheap, engines are expensive. Hard to argue with that perspective.

I’ve changed oil on all the trucks I’ve bought at different mileage. I’ve also sent the oil in for analysis from Blackstone lab. I’ve never seen any difference changing it early versus waiting.

I also talked with Shell about it. Yeah, they are biased. They said you are just wasting oil changing early.

My wife’s uncle says oil is cheap, engines are expensive. Hard to argue with that perspective.
This is what i base my info on and it makes sense to me. He also backs up his claim with oa’s.

Reese Mica of TFL ("If you ain't first, you're last!") says anything to do with engine, transmission, heck, whole vehicle "break in" is for losers!

Oil analysis is one of the reasons I’m considering doing my first oil change myself. Not that I’m concerned about the engine but it would be interesting to have a baseline that I can compare to further down the road.

This is what i base my info on and it makes sense to me. He also backs up his claim with oa’s.
That video is pretty interesting. The problem though is the different opinions. For example, if I changed oil at 500 miles and sent it into Blackstone labs for analysis, I bet I’d get laughed at. Even at 10k mile oil change, Blackstone calls the oil normal. So… opinions. Everyone has one.

That video is pretty interesting. The problem though is the different opinions. For example, if I changed oil at 500 miles and sent it into Blackstone labs for analysis, I bet I’d get laughed at. Even at 10k mile oil change, Blackstone calls the oil normal. So… opinions. Everyone has one.
Exactly. It's all in context. What if it turns out that an oil company is paying that guy? "Oil is cheap, engines aren't". Ok then, change your oil early. How about every 500 miles? What? Is that TOO early? But everyone said changing earlier will extend the life! Why is 1K ok but 500 is not? That's just the engineer in me, if you want to vary from the specs, sure, but back it up with data. That video of a backyard mechanic on Youtube did nothing to prove it helps. It's no different than asking a forum "What's the best p/u ever made?". Impossible to "prove" any answer to that question.

What I find interesting is that no oil company, no automotive engineer, or even professional engine builders ever recommend doing it earlier than what a manufacturer says. I've heard fleet managers use the lab results to set OCI to minimize maint and it's often higher mileage than recommended. And after driving 6 different vehicles in my life well over 150K, a couple over 250K, I agree. I change it when it needs changed. But again, that's just an opinion.

Exactly. It's all in context. What if it turns out that an oil company is paying that guy? "Oil is cheap, engines aren't". Ok then, change your oil early. How about every 500 miles? What? Is that TOO early? But everyone said changing earlier will extend the life! Why is 1K ok but 500 is not? That's just the engineer in me, if you want to vary from the specs, sure, but back it up with data. That video of a backyard mechanic on Youtube did nothing to prove it helps. It's no different than asking a forum "What's the best p/u ever made?". Impossible to "prove" any answer to that question.

What I find interesting is that no oil company, no automotive engineer, or even professional engine builders ever recommend doing it earlier than what a manufacturer says. I've heard fleet managers use the lab results to set OCI to minimize maint and it's often higher mileage than recommended. And after driving 6 different vehicles in my life well over 150K, a couple over 250K, I agree. I change it when it needs changed. But again, that's just an opinion.
That's your story. That's the beauty of all of this, we all have our own story that shapes and tweaks our experiences and outlook on things. Out of the many trucks I've owned I've had what I would call two failures. Both Dodge RAMs. One needed a transmission at 60ishk and one needed a transfer case before 100k, then developed a similar transmission issue. Maintenance was perfect on both of them. This has obviously shaped my outlook on RAM trucks.

Nobody, besides the engineers at GM, knows exactly why GM had lifter issues. Lots of guesses and assumptions but nobody has the answer. If someone thinks that an early oil change helps, great, have it it. Because of this engineering fail several "fixes have been theorized" Early and often oil changes, keep it completely topped off at all time, disable the DFM, and on and on and on.

The same goes for Toyota, Ford ... you name it. Very rarely do we as consumers actually get to know exactly why.

So, you can engineer the shit out of some things but in the end the human experience is different for everyone. The unexpected happens.

One last example. Tim did a video of a guy modding the rear diff breather tube and it was labeled a fail or whatver he called it. Here's the problem, Toyota had the exact same "problem" on their 2nd gen Tacoma. So, a common mod was the moving the rear diff breather tube higher up. Toyota engineers said the exact same thing, it's not needed. Our filter doesn't pass bulk water, only vapor. The problem is there are literally dozens of videos of 2nd gen Tacomas changing the fluid out after a day of off-roading and fording some water where water had very clearly flooded the rear diff. Chocolate milk. They changed the fluid before they went out. Something unintended and untested was happening and putting the diff breather tube higher ont he truck solved the problem.

My grandfather worked on vehicles as a certified mechanic in the military and for over 35 years after. He told me to change the engine oil early so I do. He also regularly told us to use the brakes to slow yourself down, not the drivetrain or transmission, why? Brakes are cheaper than transmissions.

In the end, nobody really knows, so do what you will.

That's kinda the point......when asked, I say follow the manual as written. My prejudices against a system due to my personal experience shouldn't be part of it.

Back