FIRE IN MY AREA

NMTRUCKER

Just thought I would pass along some bad news. There are two major fires burning in a town about 30 miles north of where I live in Southern NM. These two fires known as the South Fork and Salt Fires both started yesterday. Temperatures have been in the upper 90’s with winds gusting over 40 mph. These 2 fires have burned at least 20,000 acres in 1 day with zero percent containment. Officials have evacuated the entire town of Ruidoso, a population of 8,000. At this point 500 structures have burned and today the temperature is approaching 100 and windy. Air tankers have been dropping slurry all day. I use to be a wildland fire fighter back about 5 years ago and I know these two fires can be deadly. Just remember when you’re out there enjoying your camping/overlanding please extinguish your fires and make sure they are dead out.

I am planning on mentioning this on the Livestream tonight. I just saw the news. The images are terrible.

Yes, stay safe @NMTRUCKER and I hope they can get everything under control quickly.
Unfortunately 1 death has occurred, 1400 structures have burned and there is 0% containment. There is a “cold front” moving in this evening with the possibility of rain but that also brings with it a wind direction shift with higher winds. Hopefully the slurry planes can still operate in the higher winds. 😕

Yep, stay safe. No doubt you know when to get out based on your experience. I lived in SoCal for damn near 20 years, fire is no joke. Changes from interesting to deadly so fast. Much happier here in PA, no environmental threats. The worst we have is "settling" from all the abandon mines under our houses.

Back