Finally Got a Chance to Detail the Taco

Is the Graphene similar to ceramic? Did you do any paint correction prior to the Graphene coating?

It's a type of ceramic coating where graphene is added. It's supposed to help with water spotting, but I also think they are easier to apply and level. I only did a mild polish with a Dual Action polisher. If it weren't new, I might have needed to compound as well.

Did the full monty today.
  • Foam Cannon
  • Rinse
  • Foam Cannon + Hand Wash
  • Iron Remover with a clay towel
  • Rinse
  • Dry
  • Polish
  • Isopropyl
  • 5 Year Graphene coating
Next it'll be time to get it dirty!

View attachment 319

View attachment 320

View attachment 321
Nice job. The silver was a good choice and tree trail scratches will not show up as readily as in black, red, or green exterior colors.
I put in a rain water collection system that can hold 18,000 gallons and is used mostly for our vegetable garden. However, whenever I wash my truck I always use this rainwater. Since it has a neutral pH of 7.0 and no mineral content I don’t have to worry about spotting.
For anyone looking for a normal wax recommendation I use Collinite 845 liquid wax. Easy to apply and polish and seems to last a long time and reasonably priced.

Nice job. The silver was a good choice and tree trail scratches will not show up as readily as in black, red, or green exterior colors.
I put in a rain water collection system that can hold 18,000 gallons and is used mostly for our vegetable garden. However, whenever I wash my truck I always use this rainwater. Since it has a neutral pH of 7.0 and no mineral content I don’t have to worry about spotting.
For anyone looking for a normal wax recommendation I use Collinite 845 liquid wax. Easy to apply and polish and seems to last a long time and reasonably priced.
Nice! I like that rainwater idea. It's too bad I live in the high desert! Though we do have a monsoon season.

Nice! I like that rainwater idea. It's too bad I live in the high desert! Though we do have a monsoon season.
Same monsoon season as here in New Mexico! Our well water comes through limestone aquifer so the mineral content of the water is very high and would makes a mess on the glass and other exterior surfaces of a vehicle.

It's a type of ceramic coating where graphene is added. It's supposed to help with water spotting, but I also think they are easier to apply and level. I only did a mild polish with a Dual Action polisher. If it weren't new, I might have needed to compound as well.
Ben, with your knowledge and experience, have you seen any advantages/disadvantages to the "paint protective film" that is out there and offered by makers? Our biggest issue around here is rock chips and I thought that having that sacrificial layer might keep it from chipping but I was always concerned about covering the paint up too much.

Ben, with your knowledge and experience, have you seen any advantages/disadvantages to the "paint protective film" that is out there and offered by makers? Our biggest issue around here is rock chips and I thought that having that sacrificial layer might keep it from chipping but I was always concerned about covering the paint up too much.
My understanding is that the new film coatings are quite good these days, as far as what the dealer adds, I'm not sure, but the aftermarket vinyl is supposed to be quite good for rock chips and light scratches as it self repairs. But I have not had it on any of my vehicles to give a great answer on that.

Since people wanted to see my video on the detailing process, I finally got it together and it went live this morning the HDR version should be up by tomorrow morning. It takes 48 hours to process that for some reason, but let me know what you think and I hope you enjoy it. BTW just crossed 500 subscribers on YouTube so thanks to everyone that has subscribed I really do appreciate it!

Great video. I’ve been doing my own detailing but haven’t progressed as far as ceramic or graphine coating. For someone who’s never done it before would you recommend trying the graphine first or jump right into the ceramic.

I think graphene is easler to apply as ceramic often requires two applications. Some Graphenes required two coats, but not two different bottles. Graphene is a ceramic coating btw, it just adds graphene which also helps with water spotting. Graphenes tend to have less issues with high spots as well. I'd recommend the any of the DIYDetail coatings though. They have a 3, 5, and 8 year to choose from.

Either way the one day of work is worth it as it keeps your paint looking good and protected for several years so all you need to do is wash the vehicle and if it's been awhile, you can use a clay towel to unclog the coating too. Also Thanks!

I once was in a Facebook group where someone asked about how to clean their truck. I said, "why clean it, its a truck and looks better with mud."

Uh, famous last words. Got a LOT of hate over that comment. It is interesting to see how much time and effort you have spent detailing your truck. I've never even thought of detailing a truck to that level.

I once was in a Facebook group where someone asked about how to clean their truck. I said, "why clean it, its a truck and looks better with mud."

Uh, famous last words. Got a LOT of hate over that comment. It is interesting to see how much time and effort you have spent detailing your truck. I've never even thought of detailing a truck to that level.
The great part is now it'll be super easy to take care of. Just pretty much wash and dry on the paint and wash and spray on the wheels and it'll look as good as it can for years.

Which is my standard answer now. I did polish and coat when it was new but as the scratches and rust collected, I gave up. Now, I just hit with a foam cannon.

Hard to polish a turd......

Back