Engine Start Stop will be the First to Delete on New Truck

Engine Start Stop, love it or hate it, sure they have a deactivate button, I personally hate them, these systems were mandated by governments around the world, in North America. enviros will tell you this system has been in place for years in Europe, first of all this isn't Europe and the European ICE owners have been installing delete kits on their cars for years, car makers have said they have beefed up starter and flywheels, I don't care, the fact is you have now increased your engine starts and stops by more than 3-4-5-10 times, especially if you live in a large city, Stellantis came out with the e-torque that enables a half wheel roll before the engine starts from their large belt driven electric motor/generator and small suitcase sized lithium battery behind the back seat drivers side in a Ram, ok now you know where not to sit, so how much fuel will you actually save, if you live in a place like Los Angeles or Toronto you will probably save enough fuel cost at the end of the week to buy a small box of Prozac to calm you down after a weeks commute, did the OEM;s beef up the main bearings?, the argument is there will still be a film of oil on the bearings, my answer is I prefer to have the continuous sloshing and movement of oil when Im at a stop.

The 3.0 Duramax also has stop start, sure you can deactivate it by pressing a button when you first start, but it gets annoying and you can forget, there are certain conditions and parameters when met and the engine stays running, still I don't care, I don't want my $12K diesel shutting down, there are a couple of kits out there to deactivate start stop, one by the battery and one at the button that requires an afternoon of taking a part the console and half the dash, the problem with taking parts of the dash apart is it's never the same, you will get creaking and sliding noises for ever and to remedy you must construct crude paper shims and plugs, Im pretty sure eliminating stop start can be done in the firmware, I don't have a mapping of the electronics so Im just assuming. I would like to get a mapping of the electronics in the Denali, I know electronics and firmware very well, if warranty didn't get in the way the stop start button would try to engineer a fix to activate the exhaust brake at the stop start button, but then again maybe not, this is all a part of my evil thinking looking forward as I like to keep my truck for a while.

Last edited:
Engine Start Stop, love it or hate it, sure they have a deactivate button, I personally hate them, these systems were mandated by governments around the world, in North America. enviros will tell you this system has been in place for years in Europe, first of all this isn't Europe and the European ICE owners have been installing delete kits on their cars for years, car makers have said they have beefed up starter and flywheels, I don't care, the fact is you have now increased your engine starts and stops by more than 3-4-5-10 times, especially if you live in a large city, Stellantis came out with the e-torque that enables a half wheel roll before the engine starts from their large belt driven electric motor/generator and small suitcase sized lithium battery behind the back seat drivers side in a Ram, ok now you know where not to sit, so how much fuel will you actually save, if you live in a place like Los Angeles or Toronto you will probably save enough fuel cost at the end of the week to buy a small box of Prozac to calm you down after a weeks commute, did the OEM;s beef up the main bearings?, the argument is there will still be a film of oil on the bearings, my answer is I prefer to have the continuous sloshing and movement of oil when Im at a stop.

The 3.0 Duramax also has stop start, sure you can deactivate it by pressing a button when you first start, but it gets annoying and you can forget, there are certain conditions and parameters when met and the engine stays running, still I don't care, I don't want my $12K diesel shutting down, there are a couple of kits out there to deactivate start stop, one by the battery and one at the button that requires an afternoon of taking a part the console and half the dash, the problem with taking parts of the dash apart is it's never the same, you will get creaking and sliding noises for ever and to remedy you must construct crude paper shims and plugs, Im pretty sure eliminating stop start can be done in the firmware, I don't have a mapping of the electronics so Im just assuming. I would like to get a mapping of the electronics in the Denali, I know electronics and firmware very well, if warranty didn't get in the way the stop start button would try to engineer a fix to activate the exhaust brake at the stop start button, but then again maybe not, this is all a part of my evil thinking looking forward as I like to keep my truck for a while.
https://www.rangetechnology.com/products/start-stop_disabler/

Use something similar in my OBD II port to disable AFM. Don't think the LZO has DFM, so your port should be open to this and not need the other.

https://www.rangetechnology.com/products/start-stop_disabler/

Use something similar in my OBD II port to disable AFM. Don't think the LZO has DFM, so your port should be open to this and not need the other.
You are correct, the LZ0 and LM2 don't have DFM, I want to have a Banks iDash in the OBD II port, you cant have two things using the port even though there are splitters made for the port, they are unreliable causing voltage and resistance problems, Amazon has them from 9 to 20 bucks, what better way to spell run.

You are correct, the LZ0 and LM2 don't have DFM, I want to have a Banks iDash in the OBD II port, you cant have two things using the port even though there are splitters made for the port, they are unreliable causing voltage and resistance problems, Amazon has them from 9 to 20 bucks, what better way to spell run.
Interesting, Banks even sells them:

https://bankspower.com/products/sensor-accessory-63735-universal-obd-ii-splitter

But includes this disclaimer:

"Most ECMs will only communicate with one diagnostic device at a time. Using a splitter will result in the vehicle’s ECM having to choose between devices. One of your devices will not operate properly."

Great insight Rogue Rkunk, I guess it depends on the data being available or the stop start being disabled being the priority.

Interesting, Banks even sells them:

https://bankspower.com/products/sensor-accessory-63735-universal-obd-ii-splitter

But includes this disclaimer:

"Most ECMs will only communicate with one diagnostic device at a time. Using a splitter will result in the vehicle’s ECM having to choose between devices. One of your devices will not operate properly."

Great insight Rogue Rkunk, I guess it depends on the data being available or the stop start being disabled being the priority.
A lot of guys are using the OBD II port to draw power for their dash cams, and I want a dash cam, its going to be a bit of a job finding power thats not going to set off error codes, I need a service manual, GM has eliminated the 12v cigarette lighter connector which pisses me off, I don't want to intrude the camera mirror/ moon roof box for power, Im thinking I may have to build a fused power distribution box wired straight to the battery, I may be getting ahead of myself before even getting the truck but I like to be prepared.

Hated it on any rentals with weak cross-over motors or sedans. Or other full-size trucks.

Had it in a 2020 Hemi with the electric motor attached and I never shut it off. It worked great. I figured I'd want to cancel it every time I got in the truck but never did. Granted, that little motor was nothing but a gimmick, but it did make that auto-stop all but disappear.

One nice thing about disabling start stop is your starter will probably never need replaced.
Definitely understand that thought. I was pleased that Alan talked about start/stop and the starter. That information has been so hard to find from automakers. Sure, you have to trust them at their word, but nice he shared.

You did see that video, right? I can link here. No shaming. I’m just assuming.

Definitely understand that thought. I was pleased that Alan talked about start/stop and the starter. That information has been so hard to find from automakers. Sure, you have to trust them at their word, but nice he shared.

I would like to watch the video.

I was watching a You tube video about a guy that has a new Rav4 and he just unhooked his hood open switch to disable the Start Stop on his Rav4 .

One nice thing about disabling start stop is your starter will probably never need replaced.
You really don't hear of starters getting replaced much anymore. I haven't changed a stock starter on the last 7-8 daily drivers between my wife and me. And only one of those had less than 100K when sold. I think I read that Toyota has a check-engine light when the starter hits a predetermined amount of start cycles to let you know that it should be changed. Like timing belts and other high mile parts.

Hate it! It serves no purpose other than to appease the useless EPA. When I had my 5.3 and 3.0 I used the Range to deactivate it.

Moving over to my current Hemi I used the AutoStop Eliminator, pretty sure I had the AutoStop purchased before I picked up the truck.

Nobody will ever be able to convince me that auto start-stop is good for an engine or saves a material amount of fuel or emissions. It is government mandated BS. End of story.
I live in a remote part of NM and it doesn’t really do me any good. But if I lived in a large metropolitan city and did a lot of stop and go driving it probably would cut down on fuel consumption and pollution. Nothing in life is black and white except maybe death, IMO.

I remember when it first came out and I drove rentals with it, it really seemed noticeable but as time went on, I noticed it much less as they improved. Then I started driving a 2020 Ram with the etorque hemi. That was the first vehicle with it that I never noticed it all. The only way you could tell is if you were watching the tach. I'm sure those systems won't ever be going away, kinda like keyless entry and back-up cameras.

Ive driven a 2023 Ram 5.7 with e-torque, it worked flawlessly, its probably the best system out there for stop start, problem is I live in the country, the only traffic jam is if somebody loses it and ends up on the road, funny how deer and moose close down roads. Before I decided to go Denali with baby max, I was thinking of a Limited Longhorn without e-torque and a deleted air suspension, in Canada you can still get Ram 5.7' without e-torque, but many in stock Rams had e-torque, besides living in the country which would make e-torque useless, I tried to get an approximate cost on e-torque parts as I usually keep my trucks way past warranty, I tried to research and I couldn't find any reliable prices, I attempted to see the dealer parts guy but he had a lineup, e-torque has 3 major parts, the generator/motor, DC to DC converter and battery, if your trying to research these items online, it seems nobody has a concrete price, the battery where sites were claiming went from $595-$3000, thats a hell of a spread, some places estimated complete e-torque replacement to be between $8000-$13000, again a hell of a spread, the only part I think was the proper price is the DC to DC converter at $1000, regardless what the prices are today, its how much for the parts 5+ years from now.

Back