Drain plug Fumoto or Valvomax

First Ive seen these two, I like the Fumoto for the simple reason you can aim your drainage, I would assume this would be much cleaner than stock plug, who hasn't removed an oil plug as carefully as you can, then trying to aim bucket only to find out the Agent 86 Get Smart "I missed it by just that much".

For those doing their own oil changes is anyone using the Fumoto or Valvomax plug
I have Fumoto on my trucks. I recommend getting the model with a longer nipple and a hose so you can put it directly into the drain pan. With thin oils these days, a slight breeze and it's all over the place. I added a skid plate to my 2018 Tundra because I was a bit leery about hitting the drain valve, but it was probably just my own paranoia.

The down side is that they drain more slowly than simply pulling the plug. I’m leaning towards the Valvomax. Seems a more solid design stainless steel vs brass but requiree
First Ive seen these two, I like the Fumoto for the simple reason you can aim your drainage, I would assume this would be much cleaner than stock plug, who hasn't removed an oil plug as carefully as you can, then trying to aim bucket only to find out the Agent 86 Get Smart "I missed it by just that much".
The Valvomax can be aimed as well. The drain attachment has a hose.

The down side is that they drain more slowly than simply pulling the plug. I’m leaning towards the Valvomax. Seems a more solid design stainless steel vs brass but requiree

The Valvomax can be aimed as well. The drain attachment has a hose.
I always start draining the oil into the pan and then work on the filter and let the oil run down, so it’s not any slower for me. I can see how a quick change oil shop might have a problem with it though and not let it drain long enough. It’s so much quicker and cleaner to get it started though. I wish I had them 40 years ago.

I always start draining the oil into the pan and then work on the filter and let the oil run down, so it’s not any slower for me. I can see how a quick change oil shop might have a problem with it though and not let it drain long enough. It’s so much quicker and cleaner to get it started though. I wish I had them 40 years ago.
I’m not that bothered by the drain times. Even if it takes twice as long the ease of clean up and not having to deal with an over torqued drain plug make it worth the investment. I’ll be doing my own oil changes anyway.

For those doing their own oil changes is anyone using the Fumoto or Valvomax plug
On my ‘23 GMC SIERRA LZ0 I just use the original drain plug since it is readily accessible and drains directly into my oil catch pan without splashing on any vehicle infrastructure. Also the oil filter is super easy to exchange.
Some folks think that the LZ0 oil pan doesn’t drain completely. I made a simple solid ramp for the front wheels out of two pieces of 2x6” lumber that lifts the front of the truck about 3” which further enhances complete emptying of the oil pan and it allows easier access underneath the truck. No need for an additional drain valve for this engine oil pan IMO.

I installed a Fumoto on everything I change oil on. I use the one with the nipple to add a hose. That way I can direct it straight into a 2 gallon jug that I can take down to the parts store to dump. No pans or funnels needed.
The two negative things people say are the time to drain and the fact that since it is threading in, the drain point is slightly higher than it was before so more "old" oil is left in the sump. While it's draining, I pull and change the filter to eat up time and I drive the front end up on ramps to counter the lower drain point. Plus, without having to gather tools, remove, install, and torque the drain plug, I'd wager time is saved in total. The advantages are too great. And now with everything aluminum or plastic, the chances of stripping something are huge.

Pulled the trigger on the Valvomax. It will be a while until I need to do another oil change but I’ll swap it out at that time.

Back