Do you agree with the NACTOY Truck of the Year semi-finalists?

jillciminillo

Administrator
Staff member
Looking at the new or significantly refreshed trucks for sale this year, there were just seven trucks that qualified. Five made it onto the semi-finalist list, which mean two trucks were voted off the island. Do you agree with this year's selection? If not, why?

Finalists include: Ford Ranger, GMC Sierra EV, Ram 1500, Rivian R1T and Toyota Tacoma. Those who didn't make the cut: Ford F-150 and Ineos Grenadier Quartermaster.

Posted a story with a little more about the award, and whether or not I agree with the finalists. Full disclosure, I am on the jury that votes for the North American Truck of the Year.

I agree to kick off the Sierra EV and keeping the Ienos.

The Sierra EV will win while the Tacoma should win with all its changes. NACTOY is too biased for EVs IMO.

The Sierra EV will win while the Tacoma should win with all its changes. NACTOY is too biased for EVs IMO.
I can't support the Tacoma at its price point and capability at said price point. The Ranger has a more roomy interior, can be had for cheaper, can tow and haul more and at the top end it's performance is better than the Tacoma which is many thousands of dollars more.

Haven't watched a single full size EV video since some early lightning stuff but I am hearing really good things about the Sierra EV. I just don't think an electric truck should even be in the running for truck of the year.

Are they? Silverado EV didn't win last year. I think there was the initial oooooh aaaaaah of EVs, and that's why Lightning won when it was up for the award two years ago, but the shine has worn off. Coming from more of a truck background, that's why I was the only juror (literally the only one) who didn't give it any points. It's still too early to tell which way the vote will go this year, and there are still a few trucks on the list I haven't driven. Why do you think Tacoma should win over Ranger? Tacoma, arguably has had a lot of issues out of the gate with the transmission, which kind of makes me think owner satisfaction isn't terribly high right now.

I can't support the Tacoma at its price point and capability at said price point. The Ranger has a more roomy interior, can be had for cheaper, can tow and haul more and at the top end it's performance is better than the Tacoma which is many thousands of dollars more.

Haven't watched a single full size EV video since some early lightning stuff but I am hearing really good things about the Sierra EV. I just don't think an electric truck should even be in the running for truck of the year.
Good point about Tacoma. The value part of the equation is tough. With re. the EV truck, though, as long as it can easily do the things the automaker touts it can do, I'm not opposed to having it on the list. Part of the point of this award is to push the envelope a bit. But if it doesn't get the range you'd expect or have the tech that you want, that's a non-starter.

I’d agree with the Tacoma on its merits. The msrp is just that, suggested. Dealers are leading with 3k discounts everywhere in California. 5-6k discounts can be had if you are a patient negotiator. I haven’t seen this level of discounting with the ranger or canyon in my area. I would suggest a discounted Tacoma is a better long term option over the ranger and canyon/colorado for value.

Out of curiosity, why?
Everything I answered above quoting Tim but also I think GM and Ford significantly closed the gap on Toyota's dominance in the midsize market. They did it with better interiors, better capability and at a better price point.

Specifically vs Toyota
Better towing
Better payload
Interior space
Interior design
Ford infotainment is better than Toyota's
Better value throughout the lineup
Significantly better value in the Halo trim

Are they? Silverado EV didn't win last year. I think there was the initial oooooh aaaaaah of EVs, and that's why Lightning won when it was up for the award two years ago, but the shine has worn off. Coming from more of a truck background, that's why I was the only juror (literally the only one) who didn't give it any points. It's still too early to tell which way the vote will go this year, and there are still a few trucks on the list I haven't driven. Why do you think Tacoma should win over Ranger? Tacoma, arguably has had a lot of issues out of the gate with the transmission, which kind of makes me think owner satisfaction isn't terribly high right now.
I have and continue to give you props for not going over the moon on the Lightning.

I think the Tacoma was so refreshed and has so many different trims that are specific not to mention how they fixed literally everything from the previous gen. Yes, the early issues are a concern.

While I love the Ranger Raptor, I need to drive more models plus the 2.7L being delayed still is an Issue.

Everything I answered above quoting Tim but also I think GM and Ford significantly closed the gap on Toyota's dominance in the midsize market. They did it with better interiors, better capability and at a better price point.

Specifically vs Toyota
Better towing
Better payload
Interior space
Interior design
Ford infotainment is better than Toyota's
Better value throughout the lineup
Significantly better value in the Halo trim
But Ford arguably has always had better towing/payload/interior space than the Tacos. The rest is always too much about preference than fact. I think GM has the best interior right now, but I'd put Ford's last.

But Ford arguably has always had better towing/payload/interior space than the Tacos. The rest is always too much about preference than fact. I think GM has the best interior right now, but I'd put Ford's last.
I agree with preferring the GM interior It just wasn't on the list of options given. I think the Ford infotainment system is significantly better than Toyota's newest attempt. I also don't like all of the gimmicky flashy stuff on the inside of the Toyotas. Too busy, no chill.

Lots of weird connection issues and hiccups with the Toyota system still on the forums.

I agree with preferring the GM interior It just wasn't on the list of options given. I think the Ford infotainment system is significantly better than Toyota's newest attempt. I also don't like all of the gimmicky flashy stuff on the inside of the Toyotas. Too busy, no chill.

Lots of weird connection issues and hiccups with the Toyota system still on the forums.
Seeing the same electronics gripes for all brands, even the Ranger. Honestly the GM is the worst for the electronic gremlins. But you gotta assume they'll all have that as they're all relatively new systems. But if everything is working, the GM looks and operates the best in my opinion. The Taco is also very good because it retains the manual controls that others do not, like the Ford. And the Ford just looks too generic, even car like int he interior.

Seeing the same electronics gripes for all brands, even the Ranger. Honestly the GM is the worst for the electronic gremlins. But you gotta assume they'll all have that as they're all relatively new systems. But if everything is working, the GM looks and operates the best in my opinion. The Taco is also very good because it retains the manual controls that others do not, like the Ford. And the Ford just looks too generic, even car like int he interior.
Yeah everything is definitely struggling with electronics. I don't disagree on the Ford being a little bland but I think I would rather have understated than in your face overstated which is what I feel about the Tacoma. Plus the fit and finish on the Ranger just seems way better to me than the Tacoma bad gaps, jiggling components weird materials and just not very good quality on the inside.

I think the Ineos should be on the list instead of the GMC because the GMC is the Silverado EV all over again which was on the list before.

When it comes to Tacoma or Ranger, I prefer the looks of the Ranger but the fact that only the Taco comes with an extended cab option wins the decision.

My heart wants to go with the Ram 1500 but Tim's review of the regular wear maintenance items being buried in the back of the Hurricane engine kill the love.

Ineos should be on there and replace the Rivian R1T, I know it was refresh, but a mild refresh should not take the place of a brand new product.

Agree with picking the Ranger over the Tacoma. It's better in every way, except the fact that it cannot be had with a 6 foot bed.

Ineos should be on there and replace the Rivian R1T, I know it was refresh, but a mild refresh should not take the place of a brand new product.

Agree with picking the Ranger over the Tacoma. It's better in every way, except the fact that it cannot be had with a 6 foot bed.

From what I'm seeing those are nearly impossible to find. MT, Access cab and long beds are unicorns in Toyota land.

Back