Do Headlights Help Define a Vehicle/Brand?

Beninbeta

We're going to be purchasing a new 24 Tacoma TRD Off-Road, and I love that the whole Taco lineup comes with LEDs standard. But one question I have is why not give the whole lineup the same headlight design with the DRL and sequential turn signals? The limited, Trailhunter and TRD Pro all have that headlight each with a slight easter egg design, but otherwise the exact same light.

I tend to think that headlights help people recognize a brand and model so making them the same just sort of advertises for that vehicle. Having lower trims have incandescent turn signals without the DRL light signature just seems like a miss. The Trailhunter and Pro already have different light signature because of the light bars in the grill.

So my question is do light signatures matter and if so, why not make them the same across the lineup?

1704319182105.png 1704319309540.png

We're going to be purchasing a new 24 Tacoma TRD Off-Road, and I love that the whole Taco lineup comes with LEDs standard. But one question I have is why not give the whole lineup the same headlight design with the DRL and sequential turn signals? The limited, Trailhunter and TRD Pro all have that headlight each with a slight easter egg design, but otherwise the exact same light.

I tend to think that headlights help people recognize a brand and model so making them the same just sort of advertises for that vehicle. Having lower trims have incandescent turn signals without the DRL light signature just seems like a miss. The Trailhunter and Pro already have different light signature because of the light bars in the grill.

So my question is do light signatures matter and if so, why not make them the same across the lineup?

View attachment 73 View attachment 74
I’d imagine price and desire to get customers to move up a trim level.

My related question is about LED lights. I’m 50/50 on them. I like the light they put out, but I don’t like scraping my headlights in the winter since LEDs don’t give off heat. I also don’t love blinding some drivers. I see they as being rather controversial.

I do wish companies would adopt the light heaters like some commercial trucks do. They basically heat up the lens unit to keep the snow and ice off of them. I know the new Western Star truck has those.

I can see those points, but I definitely value being able to see well over the negatives. I have had LEDs on all or my vehicles since 2017 and wouldn't ever go back. We lived in Wisconsin until 2019 and I never had an issue with needing to scape our lights when I wouldn't have needed to with non-leds. Heated housings would be nice though.

I also have gotten a ton of people flashing me when I have my low beams on over the years, and I never want to blind anyone else, but being able to see well at night is worth it. I like that the Tacoma has the ability 5o adjust the lights up or down from the cab. So hopefully that will help some. I'm also a sucker for sequential signals, but that feature on it's own would never be enough to upgrade to a new trim.

Back