DIY Car Care Video Series

Beninbeta

I posted a video review today of my Sunjoe Pressure Washer that I use for washing/caring for my car. I have always just really loved taking care of my vehicles since I got my first one. I also found it interesting in Tim's warranty video today, I think Chevy, mentioned they don't cover issues from automatic car washes. I know it's quick an easy to use them, but they use really powerful cleaning agents that basically just ruin any wax or coating you put on your vehicle.

Anyway I'll be doing a series of videos in this area about some of the products I've settled on our try out. Once the Tacoma arrives I'll be applying a graphene ceramic coating from DIYDetail as well. Hopefully, some people find them interesting. Of course let me know what you think!

I posted a video review today of my Sunjoe Pressure Washer that I use for washing/caring for my car. I have always just really loved taking care of my vehicles since I got my first one. I also found it interesting in Tim's warranty video today, I think Chevy, mentioned they don't cover issues from automatic car washes. I know it's quick an easy to use them, but they use really powerful cleaning agents that basically just ruin any wax or coating you put on your vehicle.

Anyway I'll be doing a series of videos in this area about some of the products I've settled on our try out. Once the Tacoma arrives I'll be applying a graphene ceramic coating from DIYDetail as well. Hopefully, some people find them interesting. Of course let me know what you think!

“but they use really powerful cleaning agents that basically just ruin any wax or coating you put on your vehicle.”
not only that but they leave swirl marks. Some people don’t care, some people, like me, do. Touchless car washes don’t get road film off the paint. for anyone that really cares about the appearance of their vehicle, hand washing with quality products using common sense is the only way to go.

“but they use really powerful cleaning agents that basically just ruin any wax or coating you put on your vehicle.”
not only that but they leave swirl marks. Some people don’t care, some people, like me, do. Touchless car washes don’t get road film off the paint. for anyone that really cares about the appearance of their vehicle, hand washing with quality products using common sense is the only way to go.
I totally agree. Since I started hand washing all of the time, I don't have swirls anymore!

Great job on the video, looking forward to additional content. When I got my AT4 I made the decision to avoid car washes and start handwashing again. Pan the Organizer and imjoshv content was super helpful in helping me decide on which set up to go with, what I could avoid, and how to make the best use of my new set up.

I went with a different set up than you but agree that a longer non kinking hose and quick disconnects are must haves. Another tool that I’d highly recommend if you’re washing a larger vehicle with hard-to-reach places the mit on a stick. The added reach makes it much easier to clean the hood and roof on the AT4.

I remember being good about washing and waxing when my truck was new. She looked so pretty! Lots of Klasse polish and a Porter-Cable. Then scratches, rock chips, brush-pinstripes, bubbling paint from hidden rust happen. 13 years later, screw it, I just hose her down now....lol

I honestly wish they offered an option for a flat paint that was more coating. Jeep YJs had a tan and green color like that in the mid-90s. It was awesome. Just wash it. No polishing or waxing required, and it always looked good.

I remember being good about washing and waxing when my truck was new. She looked so pretty! Lots of Klasse polish and a Porter-Cable. Then scratches, rock chips, brush-pinstripes, bubbling paint from hidden rust happen. 13 years later, screw it, I just hose her down now....lol

I honestly wish they offered an option for a flat paint that was more coating. Jeep YJs had a tan and green color like that in the mid-90s. It was awesome. Just wash it. No polishing or waxing required, and it always looked good.
My understanding is that clearcoats are now water-based, and much softer than they were in years past.

In NW WA we get wet roads A LOT and I use to be a guy that hand washed his vehicle once a week from March-October. As I've gotten older and kids have gotten busier I absolutely hit the car wash, a lot. Car Wash tech has changed a lot in the last 20 years+, maybe it's just hot competition in my neck of the woods but I don't think they're nearly as damaging as they used to be.

My truck is almost 3 years old and has probably been through a car wash on average once a month for it's life. No issues and when I hand wash/polish it still looks fantastic.

I am interested in your DIY ceramic video...

My understanding is that clearcoats are now water-based, and much softer than they were in years past.
Which is fine, they won't chip as much like the Japanese brands. Nissan has extremely hard paint. If there is a seed in the bird shit it'll chip my wife's paint. The problem is that all the paints are so damn thin. Trying to save money and weight.

Which is fine, they won't chip as much like the Japanese brands. Nissan has extremely hard paint. If there is a seed in the bird shit it'll chip my wife's paint. The problem is that all the paints are so damn thin. Trying to save money and weight.
Modern day paint thickness is about 100 microns which is about 0.004”.

Back