Coil over ride quality

chaseydog

Purchased a 24 AT4 3.0L is January and have been very happy with the truck except for the Rancho shocks. I’m not at the point where I’m pulling the trigger on swapping them out ,but I am looking into what my options will be. I’m currently thinking either Eibach Stage 2’s or Bilstein 6112/5160’s. Not currently towing, but a 4000lbs Overland camper at some point is a possibility. Usage would be 90% on road, 10% fire road and trails, but not planning on any rock climbing or hard off roading.

My question has to do with ride height. I believe that both the Eibach’s and Bilstein’s can be set up to keep the current ride height or to add enough ride height to level the truck. While leveling might afford me larger wheels and some prefer the leveled look to the raked look neither of those is as important to me as ride quality. Which option offers the best ride quality, no lift, max lift, or some setting in between?

For the AT4, the 6112s front lift range is 0-1.2". Not sure if that's enough to level the truck but from what I read from owners it should be a good improvement off road. 1.2" wouldn't preload the spring much at all so you could probably set it at full lift with no ride quality penalty.

Last edited:
I went with the standard leveling kit including replacing the UCA's which is a must. However, I find the Rancho shocks to be perfectly fine for on road, light off-road and towing ~7500lbs. So far my truck has towed ~10% of it's mileage/life. When testing all of the 2021 off-road half tons I found the GMC to have the best ride. The Rancho shocks get shit on becasue they're not Fox or Bilstein... I don't know. I purchased Bilstein 5100's for my Tacoma, different model but 5160 or something for the rear and I had lots of problems with them. They were replaced after 15k miles because of leaks in one front and one rear and then again 40-50k later. The 5100 was adjustable and I used it to level the front (I think 1.75") with an AAL in the rear.

Was talking to one of the local 4x4 shops and he advised me against the Eibach or Bilstein route, saying that while they are an upgrade to the Ranchos, in his opinion they are not enough of an upgrade that he feels it’s worth the investment.

His opinion is go big or go home and his recommendation to me is a Fox 2.5 setup. To a point a get the if you’re going pull the trigger might as well empty the clip approach but I’m not quite ready to commit to that just yet.

His opinion is go big or go home and his recommendation to me is a Fox 2.5 setup. To a point a get the if you’re going pull the trigger might as well empty the clip approach but I’m not quite ready to commit to that just yet.
That's a good bet but they're a little more expensive. I know they have a linear valving system which is supposed to make for good on road comfort.

Back