Chevron overturned

testerdahl

Administrator
Staff member
This was an interesting video to produce and I'm pleased I was able to get two experts to provide a more complete picture on what it means.

Lot's of litigation will happen soon. Hopefully the cases are well thought out and don't lead to even more bad case law. Chevron deference was a "pass the buck" approach because both Congress and the courts were lazy. Let's just defer to the experts in the agencies they said. Well, over time those agencies overstepped their bounds big time. This case that caused Chevron to be overturned was a big win for fishermen due them having to put an inspector on their boats and pay for them too. Meat processing plants also have to do this with inspectors. That's part of why you can't sell steaks as a farmer. Nobody is going to go through the expensive process of government inspection just so they can cut up meat. A lot of other industries are affected similarly, I'm sure. It will be interesting to see how it all plays out.

The Chevron decision's implications are far-reaching. It could lead to more litigation, potentially clarifying or complicating regulations. While it may curb agency overreach, especially for small businesses, it also risks a patchwork of rulings. Ultimately, clear legislation from Congress is essential to avoid further regulatory uncertainty.

The Chevron decision's implications are far-reaching. It could lead to more litigation, potentially clarifying or complicating regulations. While it may curb agency overreach, especially for small businesses, it also risks a patchwork of rulings. Ultimately, clear legislation from Congress is essential to avoid further regulatory uncertainty.
You nailed it. It has been interesting to read the myriad of comments from people who don't get it. Overturning Chevron could quickly turn into a debacle instead of being a big win for deregulation.

This is a great interview with Neil Gorsuch. He points out a lot of examples of how bloated regulations and laws have become over time. There is a push ins some places to scale back the sheer number of these that I wasn't aware of before. I was also a bit surprised at how few cases SCOTUS takes on each year. I had the impression it was a few hundred cases.

Back