Changed my mind on buying new Tacoma

testerdahl

Administrator
Staff member
After a lot of thought and help from this forum, I've decided to not buy a new Tacoma. Instead, I'm going to wait and get a Trailhunter. That's the one I really want and while I won't be the first channel with a Tacoma, I feel better about buying the one I really want.

Here's more on my reasoning:

Tim I think getting the trim you want is important, but given price was one of your issues with the Tacoma, what price is too much for a Trailhunter? I'm thinking it's going to be at least $62-64k given the price of the Off-road. Also, how likely is you'll be able to get one do you think? I do think it'll be great for the channel and I'll love to learn which of the differentiators are worth it or not. In fact, I plan to make the OR we get into a Trailhunter of sorts. Anyway, cool choice!

Tim I think getting the trim you want is important, but given price was one of your issues with the Tacoma, what price is too much for a Trailhunter? I'm thinking it's going to be at least $62-64k given the price of the Off-road. Also, how likely is you'll be able to get one do you think? I do think it'll be great for the channel and I'll love to learn which of the differentiators are worth it or not. In fact, I plan to make the OR we get into a Trailhunter of sorts. Anyway, cool choice!
All solid questions. I think with my connections I'll be able to get one and yeah I'm thinking it will be $60k+. Now if it is $70k, not going to do it. That's just stupid.

All solid questions. I think with my connections I'll be able to get one and yeah I'm thinking it will be $60k+. Now if it is $70k, not going to do it. That's just stupid.

That makes sense. I think it's badass too. Looking forward to your content and I hope it's not that much. Can you get one of the prototypes from Toyota? They just destroy them anyway and maybe you'd get a discount! LOL 🤣

That makes sense. I think it's badass too. Looking forward to your content and I hope it's not that much. Can you get one of the prototypes from Toyota? They just destroy them anyway and maybe you'd get a discount! LOL 🤣
I wish!! They can't legally sell them though.

After a lot of thought and help from this forum, I've decided to not buy a new Tacoma. Instead, I'm going to wait and get a Trailhunter. That's the one I really want and while I won't be the first channel with a Tacoma, I feel better about buying the one I really want.

Hi Tim - we've interacted many times on the Tundra FB group and honestly, right decision. If you rewatch your videos, you'll see how much happier you were when you had the higher trim levels of the Tundra (i.e. what you might buy if it were for keeps). You had far better good/could be better content vs. the bad/sad face with the limited; almost like no matter what happened, someone gave you the poop sandwich for breakfast look. :) - can't wait until you get a TH! One thing, based on Toyota's current, or apparent, pricing strategy, I suspect they'll screw it up and the TH will be within spitting distance of $70k. That would be a hard no for me.

Watched the video. I appreciate your reasoning. I’ve never succeeded trying to be someone else. You do you.

I first watched one of your videos because you were reviewing vehicles I was interested in. I keep watching your videos because of how you review the vehicles. You aren’t trying to baffle me with BS and prove how smart you are. It appears to me you are answering the questions that interest you the most, and also pick up the details that matter to your viewers.

Regarding the Trailhunter: No doubt that vehicle (power train/suspension/feature set) is the one that everyone is eager to get info on. That will be a total win. I’ll be shocked if it is less than $70k out the door. It is their new halo vehicle in the Tacoma lineup. If the $41,800 TRD Off Road is $55k, I don’t see how the Trailhunter will come in under … I dunno… $68k.

Thanks guys. Yeah, the price has me really worried. I hope they don't go all crazy with it like that $55k TRD Off Road.

Sorry. Think I posted in wrong place. Anyway I’m with ya 100% on the trail hunter. I believe it the most interesting truck of the lineup and like you said ready to go. I’ll be waiting to see what you show us about this truck. I really like the looks too. Also like the forum. Good way to share info and to learn.. Thanks. Tony…..

Tim, it really is the best choice for you. If you're really going to be able to speak about the Tacoma and be heard above the din, you gotta get the one that has everyone talking and wanting to know if it's "all that". With a decent full-size hitting $75K, it's not even a bad deal considering what you get. It's a lifestyle truck and that lifestyle ain't working construction, ain't towing a horse trailer, and it ain't racing from one light to the next. And just being brutally honest, I really don't think you're the type of owner that will really push a Pro to its limits. Some guys on Youtube live and breathe for that and everyone who cares will be watching them anyway. Even though 90% of the new Taco owners will never use it to its full potential anyway. Many sites, like TFL, will have an Off-Road and in way, so will you. Just an Off-Road plus, so when somebody wants to see if the upgrade to the Trail Hunter is worth it, you'll have that knowledge. I wanted you to get the Limited Hybrid because that's what I want but hey, close enough.

First of all Tim I have enjoyed your YouTube videos, very much. I have been looking forward to purchasing a mid size truck for a couple of years. For some time I have been zeroed in on a 2024 Ford Ranger Lariat 4wd 2,7Lt ecoboost. Wait has been long & who knows when Ford will get them built. Now in the past couple of months I very much been considering a 2024 Toyota Tacoma Limited with Hybrid I Force Max engine. Hopefully in the spring I’ll be able to consider both. Right now the Hybrid plus the Toyota reliability has the lead. Looking forward what the future holds. And want is with the no Hybrid & moon roof in the Ranger!?!

First of all Tim I have enjoyed your YouTube videos, very much. I have been looking forward to purchasing a mid size truck for a couple of years. For some time I have been zeroed in on a 2024 Ford Ranger Lariat 4wd 2,7Lt ecoboost. Wait has been long & who knows when Ford will get them built. Now in the past couple of months I very much been considering a 2024 Toyota Tacoma Limited with Hybrid I Force Max engine. Hopefully in the spring I’ll be able to consider both. Right now the Hybrid plus the Toyota reliability has the lead. Looking forward what the future holds. And want is with the no Hybrid & moon roof in the Ranger!?!
Thinking about your Ranger comment. I’ve been seeing the Ford Ranger brought up as something I should buy instead of the Tacoma several times. I get it. However, it is just business. This image is from Google Trends which tracks keywords. You can see Tacoma out performs all the other search terms.

Plus, Tacoma does a lot better for views on the channel. The Tundra really opened my eyes to paying very, VERY close attention to what the viewers want to see. For me, it is just a business decision, I have no loyalty.

IMG_0415.png

“I have no loyalty” - except to your faithful followers ;) !
I think you are making a better decision in buying what you want. That provides a more “real” experience which is exactly what made it click for me. The other channels, as many have mentioned, are good in their own ways. What your channel does is talk to the average person, not the gotta-have-it-first people. And that is why your older Tundra videos are still attracting views. FLASH BANG ON TO THE NEXT TRUCK!! isn’t you. I prefer the steady reviews and the chatter. Don’t let your business run you, you run the business as long as you can!!

I think you are making a better decision in buying what you want. That provides a more “real” experience which is exactly what made it click for me. The other channels, as many have mentioned, are good in their own ways. What your channel does is talk to the average person, not the gotta-have-it-first people. And that is why your older Tundra videos are still attracting views. FLASH BANG ON TO THE NEXT TRUCK!! isn’t you. I prefer the steady reviews and the chatter. Don’t let your business run you, you run the business as long as you can!!
Thanks. Feedback like this is important and helps me understand my work better as well as make my work better overall.

I should rephrase one thing, “… your channel does is talk to the average person, AND the gotta-have-it-first people.” You offer a different viewpoint and methodology that should provide value to BOTH groups.

I'm looking at a 2024 hybrid and after building different models I will be going with the limited, once I got all the options that I wanted on a sport or trd off road they were going to be the same price as a limited

I'm looking at a 2024 hybrid and after building different models I will be going with the limited, once I got all the options that I wanted on a sport or trd off road they were going to be the same price as a limited
I'm seriously thinking the same. I really don't need the advanced 4wd of the Off-Road on a daily driver, so I started by building a Sport. After I optioned it out, it was only $1000 shy of the Limited but the Limited comes with running boards and the HUD that you can't get on the Sport. Although I don't prefer all the chrome of the Limited and I can get a Solar Octane 6ft bed on the Sport with minimal chrome. Hmmmm......

Back