Canyon flickering headlights ends up in a recall/stop delivery

Dusdaddy

Apparently, GM is struggling to find a remedy for the flickering headlights on the Canyons. Word on the inter-webs is a complete "stop delivery". They tried new stock headlights and are still getting the flickering.

Tim, heard any news on this? I'm hoping they work out the electrical gremlins soon. It's still the lead contender for my next truck.

Apparently, GM is struggling to find a remedy for the flickering headlights on the Canyons. Word on the inter-webs is a complete "stop delivery". They tried new stock headlights and are still getting the flickering.

Tim, heard any news on this? I'm hoping they work out the electrical gremlins soon. It's still the lead contender for my next truck.
Do you have a link? I want to forward this to my friends and family experiencing this and that they can follow the resolution themselves.

(Sierra not Canyon) I had two of my headlights replaced, one headlight twice, because the LED surround would appear dimmer and slightly purple'ish instead of bright white but you could only tell in a reflection of a vehicle in front of me. Looking at them with the naked eye you couldn't really tell the difference. After the second replacement the dealership told me GM found the issue and it wasn't the headlight unit or the LED but the harness which was messing up the voltage somehow. So, if I had an issue in the future they would replace the harness which was much cheaper than the headlight.

On the Canyon/Colorado It looks like GM has found the issue "Issue internal to the LED controller that is part of the headlamp assembly" It also looks like this is a June/July 2024 build date issue?

Last edited:

News to me. I hadn't kept up on the Canyon as well as I should have I guess. Looks like it is just certain models and GM has a fix already for it.

News to me. I hadn't kept up on the Canyon as well as I should have I guess. Looks like it is just certain models and GM has a fix already for it.
That's the point, they HAVE NOT come up with a fix. Up until now they have been swapping out complete light units and LED controllers but no joy. They are just know announcing they will be issuing a recall but it under fix it says: "Unresolved". The announcement of the recall coming was just announced in the last day or so. Haven't seen anything beyond that yet. I imagine it's a supplier issue, but I bet they have a very large stock to sort through.

That's the point, they HAVE NOT come up with a fix. Up until now they have been swapping out complete light units and LED controllers but no joy. They are just know announcing they will be issuing a recall but it under fix it says: "Unresolved". The announcement of the recall coming was just announced in the last day or so. Haven't seen anything beyond that yet. I imagine it's a supplier issue, but I bet they have a very large stock to sort through.
I'm seeing they announced a fix, put the stop sale in place to fix all of the current inventory and issued the recall.

"Luckily, General Motors has a fix. Dealers are to replace a module in the headlamp that includes the right software to correct the problem."

Just over 13,000 trucks of which almost half are still on dealer lots. So around 7,000 trucks on the road may have the headlamp issue.

Last edited:
I'm seeing they announced a fix, put the stop sale in place to fix all of the current inventory and issued the recall.

"Luckily, General Motors has a fix. Dealers are to replace a module in the headlamp that includes the right software to correct the problem."

Just over 13,000 trucks of which almost half are still on dealer lots.
Hopefully that does it. The one owner had his changed and when he got it home it started flickering again. Then the dealer told him Friday that the fix was not announced yet. Listed as "unresolved".

Hopefully that does it. The one owner had his changed and when he got it home it started flickering again. Then the dealer told him Friday that the fix was not announced yet. Listed as "unresolved".
Most of the dealers will assume it's a faulty headlamp and replace it under warranty as it's an easy fix and can provide a solution. This should take the guessing out of it.

Back