Cannibalizing sales, Toyota

Hilux

Can anyone answer this question honestly? Why is it that having eight SUV or CUV models wont cannibalize each others sales and nine car models (at least that's what I counted on Toyota USA site) wont cannibalize each others sales but we hear endlessly how a smaller pickup will cannibalize Tacoma or Tundra sales.
This can apply to any auto maker too.

My only guess is that Toyota dominates car and SUV sales and not so much in truck sales in the US. Sure the Tacoma has been the sales leader for a while now but the domestics stopped really trying and instead focused on 1/2 ton and HD truck sales where more profits are generated. Now they seem to be back trying with impressive choices (Colorado, Canyon and Ranger)

Also, I have heard lots of talk form journalists not really understanding the current SUV lineup and wondering about cannibalizing sales. Specifically the off-road side with 4Runner, LC, Sequoia and GX.

Last edited:
I thought about this when the LC was announced, and it was going to compete with the 4Runner. I wondered why they would do it. I figure they tend to look at it like this: No matter what you are looking for, we have something to offer to fill that want, and it will have a Toyota logo. Body on frame? Check. Luxury? Check. Hybrid? Check. Don't matter because it is sale in the books.

Sure, buying an LC may take a sale from a 4Runner but it seems they don't care because somebody will buy that 4Runner. Regardless of how popular a certain model gets, Rav 4 Prime for example, they never really seem to "overbuild" it. And then if no one buys a single 4Runner because they all buy the LC? They shrug and end it like the FJ.

Also, I have heard lots of talk form journalists not really understanding the current SUV lineup and wondering about cannibalizing sales. Specifically the off-road side with 4Runner, LC, Sequoia and GX.
This. Every time a group of us gets together at a Toyota event, the confusing lineup is one of our top discussion points. Internally, I know some people at Toyota don't understand it either.

This. Every time a group of us gets together at a Toyota event, the confusing lineup is one of our top discussion points. Internally, I know some people at Toyota don't understand it either.
I heard Toyota is coming out with another SUV, its based off of the one at the Japan mobility show sitting by the EPU truck.

Back