Can we stop using Car Complaints dot com for illustration for newer models

rlc177

I keep seeing CarComplaints website used by several youtubers as which recent year models might have issues, be reliable, etc.

However I see over and over its just behind or not updating with NHTSA and thus isn't a great site to use for illustration. It might be good for stuff 3 or more years old, but it doesn't seem like they are updating it.

An example:
2023 Tundra Looks like boy this Truck doesn't have a lot of complaints and only 3 recalls.
1717679409896.png
However NHTSA site says differently 87 Complaints and 9 Recalls.

1717679464487.png

Last edited:
I keep seeing CarComplaints website used by several youtubers as which recent year models might have issues, be reliable, etc.

However I see over and over its just behind or not updating with NHTSA and thus isn't a great site to use for illustration. It might be good for stuff 3 or more years old, but it doesn't seem like they are updating it.

An example:
2023 Tundra Looks like boy this Truck doesn't have a lot of complaints and only 3 recalls.
View attachment 505
However NHTSA site says differently 87 Complaints and 9 Recalls.

View attachment 506
That's exactly why I stopped relying solely on them. I go over and see if there's something I miss, but I generally go to NHTSA anyway, so why bother.

I like to use multiple sources if I can. The problem with all of them is they don't break down the information into things people care about - engines, transmissions, etc... Consumer Reports is the worst at that. They list powertrain as major or minor and never by engine. I've asked them repeatedly for that information and they say they don't have it.

I thought the last two videos I did with the input from the forums were the best with the Ford and Tundra known problems. Too bad I can't simply update videos to include the Tundra recall. I'd just have to do a whole new video.

Back