But turbo engines don't fail!

Fightnfire

Ok, I jest. However, this is the 2nd major manufacturer running small displacement turbo engines in SUV's and Trucks to have to recall and replace engines due to failure.

Also, side rant. I'm a little worn out of the "3rd party supplier" issue and scapegoat. If the bad part is on a Ford engine, or a Toyota engine, or a GM engine... it's their fault. I blame the manufacturer.

Ok, I jest. However, this is the 2nd major manufacturer running small displacement turbo engines in SUV's and Trucks to have to recall and replace engines due to failure.

Also, side rant. I'm a little worn out of the "3rd party supplier" issue and scapegoat. If the bad part is on a Ford engine, or a Toyota engine, or a GM engine... it's their fault. I blame the manufacturer.
Gearjunkie link? How dare you cheat on us man!! I’m sharing my story in spite… LOL

As for the side rant, Ford is taking responsibility and they will foot the bill. The fact is any truck is really a combination of dozens of suppliers. That’s just how trucks are built.

Gearjunkie link? How dare you cheat on us man!! I’m sharing my story in spite… LOL

As for the side rant, Ford is taking responsibility and they will foot the bill. The fact is any truck is really a combination of dozens of suppliers. That’s just how trucks are built.

LOL I was at work and it actually came across my home screen on Microsoft I don't like to source that second hand shit so I went to the original source of the article. At least they gave them credit for it.

I won't be home until this evening to check on the YouTubes.

LOL I was at work and it actually came across my home screen on Microsoft I don't like to source that second hand shit so I went to the original source of the article. At least they gave them credit for it.

I won't be home until this evening to check on the YouTubes.
Saab introduced turbos into their vehicles almost 50 years ago. As we all know any mechanical or electrical part in any vehicle can fail at any time. The “turbo phobia” is overblown and is a favorite click bait topic just like “what oil or oil filter or oil change interval”. You tubers made a huge deal about Toyotas turbo waste gate issue which turned out to be just a bad batch of parts but it got a lot of clicks. Maybe we should go back to the days when we used leaded gas, had asbestos brake linings, exhaust replacement every three years( that’s where MIDAS got its start). Most folks back then replaced their cars every 3-5 years, why, because they became unreliable and you would be lucky if your engine got to the 100,000 mile mark without needing a rebuild. Yah, back in the good old days, right. I for one like modern cars because for one they are a hell of a lot safer. End of rant.

Saab introduced turbos into their vehicles almost 50 years ago. As we all know any mechanical or electrical part in any vehicle can fail at any time. The “turbo phobia” is overblown and is a favorite click bait topic just like “what oil or oil filter or oil change interval”. You tubers made a huge deal about Toyotas turbo waste gate issue which turned out to be just a bad batch of parts but it got a lot of clicks. Maybe we should go back to the days when we used leaded gas, had asbestos brake linings, exhaust replacement every three years( that’s where MIDAS got its start). Most folks back then replaced their cars every 3-5 years, why, because they became unreliable and you would be lucky if your engine got to the 100,000 mile mark without needing a rebuild. Yah, back in the good old days, right. I for one like modern cars because for one they are a hell of a lot safer. End of rant.
Man that reminds me of all the crap I took when i did this video. Turns out I was right. Those haters don’t care about that now do they.

My take on 2022 Toyota Tundra Waste Gate Issue

I just like to see the 5.3L V8 get better miles per gallon City and Highway than any of the new turbos in trucks. Or the three liter diesel that smokes them all.

I'm not a turbo hater that's why I started this thread with "I jest" but their track record as late would show that they're having issues that shouldn't be ignored.

I just like to see the 5.3L V8 get better miles per gallon City and Highway than any of the new turbos in trucks. Or the three liter diesel that smokes them all.

I'm not a turbo hater that's why I started this thread with "I jest" but their track record as late would show that they're having issues that shouldn't be ignored.
Honest question. Why do you blame the turbo in this case? It was the engine intake that failed and tied to a problem with the metal. How does that equate to a turbo issue?

I'd add that there have not been too many all-new naturally aspirated engines in awhile either, but as Tim and others have pointed out in the past when new engines release, there are often issues. Opposite that point is that the this version of the 2.7 has been around since like 2018 right? So it just seems like that supplier had some issues or made a change they felt was still in spec and it wasn't. That could happen with any engine. I think there is a magnifying glass on anything that has a turbo attached and as @NMTRUCKER points out turbo engines have been around forever and have good benefits too.

Counter question. If this was the 5.0L V8 with the bad engine intake would we care as much?

Honestly, just trying to figure this out. I had another person who blamed it solely on the turbo and the complexity of it. Just didn’t make sense to me.
You don't think people would care that Ford is recalling 100,000 V8 engines? I'm confused.😂

The remaining V8's in light duty trucks are not any better right now. GM's offering, the 5.3 and 6.2, are both experiencing major lifters issues and the coyote v8 from Ford leaks oil.

I think Tim was trying to make the following point: Would you have created a post if it was a v8 experiencing a recall?

The remaining V8's in light duty trucks are not any better right now. GM's offering, the 5.3 and 6.2, are both experiencing major lifters issues and the coyote v8 from Ford leaks oil.

I think Tim was trying to make the following point: Would you have created a post if it was a v8 experiencing a recall?
Yeah, I would have. I seem to be the only one posting new news around here, trying to get people to talk about something.

I'm somehow completely baffled that people don't think Ford recalling 100,000 engines is news regardless of whether it's a turbo or a V8.

There's definitely people that distrust turbos especially in trucks that aren't diesel. But they're also seems to be a lot of turbo apologists on the other side. Both sides are making silly claims. So I posted and as a reminder the second and third word were "I jest." I'm wondering if people know what that means.

I think it's an interesting conversation and saw an opportunity with another major recall to throw it up for discussion, which seems to have worked.

Yeah, I would have. I seem to be the only one posting new news around here, trying to get people to talk about something.

I'm somehow completely baffled that people don't think Ford recalling 100,000 engines is news regardless of whether it's a turbo or a V8.

There's definitely people that distrust turbos especially in trucks that aren't diesel. But they're also seems to be a lot of turbo apologists on the other side. Both sides are making silly claims. So I posted and as a reminder the second and third word were "I jest." I'm wondering if people know what that means.

I think it's an interesting conversation and saw an opportunity with another major recall to throw it up for discussion, which seems to have worked.
Oh I think it is news. I just get lost on blaming this on a turbo. But, hey, I get lost pretty damn often. Just ask my wife. LOL

Since we're on the topic of fail engines, what's the best engine currently being produce according to you guys?

I would've said the 2.7 from Ford but now I'm not sure.

Back