Aftermarket parts, dealerships and voiding warranties

chaseydog

Got a CEL on my 3 month old AT4 yesterday. I pinged OnStar and they let me know my truck was throwing a P2297 fault which I confirmed with my Banks iDash. According to the iDash it's an O2 sensor fault, but my understanding is that diesels don’t have O2 sensors and it’s likely associated with the NOX sensor

I made an appointment to bring the truck into the dealer to be checked. The CEL cleared on its own later that day but I decided since I already had the appointment I might as well have the dealer check things out.

Stopped in the dealership this morning, told the service person about the CEL, showed him the report from OnStar and let him know my iDash was showing the same code. He got a bit concerned with that and told me that if the tech believed my after market part caused the fault they might not honor my warranty. I explained the iDash is an OBD2 monitor, and that there’s no way it could cause the fault. He responded that would be up to the tech.

An hour or so later they let me know my truck was ready. The confirmed the P2297 code in history, but told me GM does not have a service document for that fault. Since the CEL had cleared on its own and I wasn’t having any performance issues with the truck, there wasn’t anything more to be done. Their recommendation keep an eye on it and if you get another CEL come back in. I know from reading the forums that sensor glitches are not uncommon, so I was OK with that recommendation.

The service person reiterated his concern with the Banks iDash, saying I should remove it until my warranty is up or risk having it voided. I came back with it’s a monitor not a tunner why would that void my warranty. He explained that GM might request pictures of the vehicle and if they saw the iDash they could void the warranty. He also added the following note to my service document.

Advise leaving any aftermarket products, even “monitoring” ones off until out of warranty. ANY aftermarket device can potentially void the manufacturer's warranty.

Nice enough guy, and to his credit just looking out for my best interest, but I still can't see GM voiding a warranty for an OBDC monitor.

I IM’d Banks later that day to ask if they knew of any warranties voided due to the iDash and a rep called me back a short time later to find out what was going on. He told me he only knew of one instance where a dealer had threatened this but that Banks tech support called the dealer and clarified what the iDash can and cannot do. The dealer was apparently satisfied and dropped there concerns with the warranty.

I know legally I’d be able to fight it if they did try to void my warranty but I’d prefer to keep lawyers out of the picture. Just wondering if anyone has had a similar experience.

Got a CEL on my 3 month old AT4 yesterday. I pinged OnStar and they let me know my truck was throwing a P2297 fault which I confirmed with my Banks iDash. According to the iDash it's an O2 sensor fault, but my understanding is that diesels don’t have O2 sensors and it’s likely associated with the NOX sensor

I made an appointment to bring the truck into the dealer to be checked. The CEL cleared on its own later that day but I decided since I already had the appointment I might as well have the dealer check things out.

Stopped in the dealership this morning, told the service person about the CEL, showed him the report from OnStar and let him know my iDash was showing the same code. He got a bit concerned with that and told me that if the tech believed my after market part caused the fault they might not honor my warranty. I explained the iDash is an OBD2 monitor, and that there’s no way it could cause the fault. He responded that would be up to the tech.

An hour or so later they let me know my truck was ready. The confirmed the P2297 code in history, but told me GM does not have a service document for that fault. Since the CEL had cleared on its own and I wasn’t having any performance issues with the truck, there wasn’t anything more to be done. Their recommendation keep an eye on it and if you get another CEL come back in. I know from reading the forums that sensor glitches are not uncommon, so I was OK with that recommendation.

The service person reiterated his concern with the Banks iDash, saying I should remove it until my warranty is up or risk having it voided. I came back with it’s a monitor not a tunner why would that void my warranty. He explained that GM might request pictures of the vehicle and if they saw the iDash they could void the warranty. He also added the following note to my service document.

Advise leaving any aftermarket products, even “monitoring” ones off until out of warranty. ANY aftermarket device can potentially void the manufacturer's warranty.

Nice enough guy, and to his credit just looking out for my best interest, but I still can't see GM voiding a warranty for an OBDC monitor.

I IM’d Banks later that day to ask if they knew of any warranties voided due to the iDash and a rep called me back a short time later to find out what was going on. He told me he only knew of one instance where a dealer had threatened this but that Banks tech support called the dealer and clarified what the iDash can and cannot do. The dealer was apparently satisfied and dropped there concerns with the warranty.

I know legally I’d be able to fight it if they did try to void my warranty but I’d prefer to keep lawyers out of the picture. Just wondering if anyone has had a similar experience.
Well that’s interesting. My dual IDASH is mounted in a homemade cup assembly and I routed the wiring so it’s easily removed in about 10 minutes. I guess if I have to take my truck for warranty repair I’ll just pull the IDASH out. Thanks for posting this.👍

Well that’s interesting. My dual IDASH is mounted in a homemade cup assembly and I routed the wiring so it’s easily removed in about 10 minutes. I guess if I have to take my truck for warranty repair I’ll just pull the IDASH out. Thanks for posting this.👍
Mine is more permanently mounted to the driver side pillar. I could remove it but it would be a hassle. If it’s an easy removal you may want to do so, but you may also have a dealer that’s not going to see it as an issue. I’ll be taking the truck back to the dealer in a few months for the free oil change. If they bring up the iDash again I’ll ask to talk to the service manager or start using a different dealership.

Mine is more permanently mounted to the driver side pillar. I could remove it but it would be a hassle. If it’s an easy removal you may want to do so, but you may also have a dealer that’s not going to see it as an issue. I’ll be taking the truck back to the dealer in a few months for the free oil change. If they bring up the iDash again I’ll ask to talk to the service manager or start using a different dealership.
OK. Keep us posted.

Sounds like that service department needs a refresher course on the law.

Sounds like that service department needs a refresher course on the law.
Possibly. I might not have been clear in my post but the service associates point was that GM might void my warranty, not the dealership. While there are laws that allow us to modify vehicles, laws are open to interpretation, which is why we have courts. Going to court to contest GM’s decision means hiring a lawyer. Being able to recover those cost will depend on the state you live in, the type of case, and whether or not you won your case.

While it’s unlikely that GM would void a warranty over the use of an OBD2 scanner any modification opens the door for them to do so, and fighting the issue could get expensive.

I use a Pulsar LT, oddly it was recommended to me by one of the service managers at my local GM dealership. I inquired about them changing the computer to make up for the larger tires and they told me they use to be able to do that but GM doesn't allow it anymore. (Even though they sell the same truck with larger tires from the factory) He told me the only way that he knew to accomplish it was a Pulsar LT. I've had it in for service, and a warranty repair on the idler pulley and they told me it wasn't an issue having it.

If I ever have an electronic issue I'll take it out before it goes to the shop. It just sucks how some dealers are hard to work with.

Probably just a standard response to anything aftermarket. Especially engine management tools. I'm sure they've had nightmares going the other way where someone modded something incorrectly and wanted them to cover it.

I use a Pulsar LT, oddly it was recommended to me by one of the service managers at my local GM dealership. I inquired about them changing the computer to make up for the larger tires and they told me they use to be able to do that but GM doesn't allow it anymore. (Even though they sell the same truck with larger tires from the factory) He told me the only way that he knew to accomplish it was a Pulsar LT. I've had it in for service, and a warranty repair on the idler pulley and they told me it wasn't an issue having it.

If I ever have an electronic issue I'll take it out before it goes to the shop. It just sucks how some dealers are hard to work with.
My understanding is that the Global B platform is locked down much more firmly than Global B and setting that were available to the dealership are no longer available.

Not sure if Pulsar has broken the encryption or just found a way to get around it. It is interesting though how some dealerships raise an issue, some turn a blind eye, and others actually recommend using it.

Going to court to contest GM’s decision means hiring a lawyer. Being able to recover those cost will depend on the state you live in, the type of case, and whether or not you won your case.
Looks like that may not be accurate. According to this site the Magnuson-Moss act allows for recovery of attorneys fees if you prevail in contesting the decision.

Just as a follow up to this issue. I had my first CEL on my ‘23 GMC SIERRA 1500 LZ0. Before taking it to the dealer I removed my dual IDASH. The CEL was just related to having the ECM updated and there was nothing physically wrong with the truck. On the way to the dealership the CEL turned off. The service advisor first said that I would have to pay for the ECM update because there was no active CEL. I told him this was a GM issued TSB and that there should still be a pending code resident in the ECM. So they did find it and GM agreed to pay for the update which was going to cost $220. So I’m glad I removed the IDASH. These folks are looking for anything to void a warranty issue. Be careful out there.

Glad it worked to yo
Just as a follow up to this issue. I had my first CEL on my ‘23 GMC SIERRA 1500 LZ0. Before taking it to the dealer I removed my dual IDASH. The CEL was just related to having the ECM updated and there was nothing physically wrong with the truck. On the way to the dealership the CEL turned off. The service advisor first said that I would have to pay for the ECM update because there was no active CEL. I told him this was a GM issued TSB and that there should still be a pending code resident in the ECM. So they did find it and GM agreed to pay for the update which was going to cost $220. So I’m glad I removed the IDASH. These folks are looking for anything to void a warranty issue. Be careful out there.
Glad it worked to your advantage. I'll be taking my AT4 to the dealer in a couple of weeks for the free first service. Not sure if I'll remove the iDash. Its in a Banks Stealth mount so its a bit more involved to remove. Im thinking I'll just disconnect it. Im curious to see, if i get a different service advisor, if they raise an issue with it as well.

Glad it worked to yo

Glad it worked to your advantage. I'll be taking my AT4 to the dealer in a couple of weeks for the free first service. Not sure if I'll remove the iDash. Its in a Banks Stealth mount so its a bit more involved to remove. Im thinking I'll just disconnect it. Im curious to see, if i get a different service advisor, if they raise an issue with it as well.
Maybe if it’s the same dealership you bought it from you might not have a problem. I had never been to this dealership before so I didn’t know what to expect. My ON STAR just said there was an emissions CEL but no specifics. Looks like yours gave the actual Diagnostic Trouble Code. Good luck and let us know what happens.👍

Back