Advice Needed on Intake Manifold Issues Considering a Solution

thomas23

I've been running into some recurring issues with my 2018 ram 2500 6.7cummins's intake system and wanted to get some advice before deciding on my next steps. One of the main problems is frequent carbon build-up in the intake manifold, which seems to be affecting both engine performance and fuel efficiency. Despite regular cleanings, the build-up returns quickly, and I can't seem to find a long-term solution. Another issue is that the airflow through the intake seems restricted, leading to a noticeable drop in power, especially at higher RPMs. I’ve checked for leaks and performed routine maintenance, but the problem persists. Additionally, I keep getting a check engine light related to the EGR system, even after replacing several components. The light eventually comes back, and I'm starting to wonder if the design of the intake manifold or something related to it could be causing these recurring issues. Before I consider making any significant modifications, I wanted to see if anyone else has dealt with similar problems and found an effective solution. Any advice or insight would be much appreciated!

I've been running into some recurring issues with my 2018 ram 2500 6.7cummins's intake system and wanted to get some advice before deciding on my next steps. One of the main problems is frequent carbon build-up in the intake manifold, which seems to be affecting both engine performance and fuel efficiency. Despite regular cleanings, the build-up returns quickly, and I can't seem to find a long-term solution. Another issue is that the airflow through the intake seems restricted, leading to a noticeable drop in power, especially at higher RPMs. I’ve checked for leaks and performed routine maintenance, but the problem persists. Additionally, I keep getting a check engine light related to the EGR system, even after replacing several components. The light eventually comes back, and I'm starting to wonder if the design of the intake manifold or something related to it could be causing these recurring issues. Before I consider making any significant modifications, I wanted to see if anyone else has dealt with similar problems and found an effective solution. Any advice or insight would be much appreciated!
today my mechanic friend suggested replacement of manifold and I am confused about the option he also suggested spelab manifold kit have you ever used is it a good choice... any suggestion or advice would be appreciable

Sorry your having the issue, just bumping for visibility but you may have better luck on a RAM owners forum, maybe someone here can point to a good one.

Just googling around a bit there does seem to be some issues with the 6.7 cummins and intake specifically. I don't know jack about diesels but a lot of guys are talking about plugged up EGR's that can cause all of the issues your experiencing. Also, Banks has a couple of articles on how terrible the original intake system is designed and offers replacements that they say solve the majority of the issues. I'm assuming you replaced the EGR but it may be worth taking it apart again and inspecting it and the lines.

Back