2024 Toyota 4Runner - Payload Question

Blue Oval 5.0

Hi Everyone,

I'm looking at trading my wife's 2023 Maverick for a 2024 Toyota 4Runner. We have never owned a Toyota or Lexus product before. As I was researching the vehicle, I came across some confusing information regarding the payload capacity of the vehicle. I have attached a copy of the applicable page from the 2024 Owner's Manual as well as the same page from the 2021 model year in an attempt to clarify my question.

You'll notice that the payload listed for the 2024 model appears to be based on the number of occupants it can hold (5 or 7 depending on trim) and Toyota uses the term "Vehicle Capacity Weight." It lists the payload as 880 lbs for five seaters, 1,000 for the TRD Pro, and 1,165 lbs for the seven seat models. This makes no sense to me at all.

Looking back at the 2021 Owner's Manual (bear in mind, this vehicle is essentially the same since 2010 model year), the Vehicle Capacity Weight is 880 lbs for vehicles equipped with the rear locking differential (TRD Off Road & Pro) and 1,165 for the models without the rear locking diff. This is more logical but still doesn't seem right.

Other dealership sources show a payload as high as 1,700 lbs for the SR5 4x2 model.

The 4Runner is rated to tow 5,000 lbs and if the tongue weight is 500 lbs, that does not leave much room for passengers and cargo - especially if you own one rated at 880 lbs of payload. I drove to my local dealer and they had a TRD OR Premium that has 880 lbs listed on the door jamb sticker and the SR5 Premium with 3rd row seat was listed at 1,165 as the manual states for the 2024 model year. So, I guess that is the official number.

I was under the assumption that the payload could be calculated by subtracting the curb weight from the GVWR. So, the TRD OR would be 6,300 lbs less 4,750 resulting in a payload of 1,550 lbs. This seems to be a much more reasonable number.

Would someone be able to explain to me where I am going wrong here?

Thanks,
Eric

Attachments

• 2021 4Runner Payload.png
    2021 4Runner Payload.png
    105.7 KB · Views: 5
  • 2024 4Runner Payload.png
    2024 4Runner Payload.png
    88.5 KB · Views: 5
  • 2024 4Runner Specs.png
    2024 4Runner Specs.png
    54.4 KB · Views: 5
Thanks for posting this here and sharing it. Hopefully there’s an answer out there. I’m going to reach out to some of my contacts as well.

Thanks for posting this here and sharing it. Hopefully there’s an answer out there. I’m going to reach out to some of my contacts as well.

Thank you. I'm hesitant to pull the trigger at the moment, partially due to this issue. Looking forward to hearing about whatever you can dig up.

I'm down to 5 days left to make a decision. The information in the owner's manual and the door jamb of each vehicle match but they do not agree with the calculation of GVWR minus curb weight (which is referenced on many of the Toyota dealership websites as well as some prminent independent automotive sites. Toyota Motor really needs to address this. I tried contacting them via social media to no avail.

I'm down to 5 days left to make a decision. The information in the owner's manual and the door jamb of each vehicle match but they do not agree with the calculation of GVWR minus curb weight (which is referenced on many of the Toyota dealership websites as well as some prminent independent automotive sites. Toyota Motor really needs to address this. I tried contacting them via social media to no avail.
I’ve always found GVWR minus curb weight to be a good guess at best.

I'm going by the door tags which relegates me to SR5 Premium or Limited with third row. Not thrilled about that. I may pass.

Back