2024 Silverado stop sale, split roof issues

jillciminillo

Administrator
Staff member
We posted a story about the split roof issues on the Silverado and Sierra. Wondering if anyone is waiting on a 2024 model or had any run ins with the split roof defect. General Motors has been fairly mum about the issue and how long the stop sale will go on.

Their company line: “We can confirm a small number of Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra pickups may have been built with a roof panel split defect. A stop-sale is in place as the impacted vehicles are identified and repaired.”

Story link: https://pickuptrucktalk.com/2023/12/2024-gmc-sierra-chevy-silverado-split-roof-causes-stop-sale/

my truck was made week of 11/20/23. It will be delivered last week this Dec. 2023. No stop order for me. Since the stop order was placed Oct. 19 2023, I would assume the trucks affected range goes from the date the factories started to make the 2024 models (end of Sept.) till the stop delivery date was issued (Oct. 19th). Because why would they continue to make known bad roofs after they knew about the issue, which was Oct. 19th... memo > https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2023/MC-10245350-0001.pdf

my truck was made week of 11/20/23. It will be delivered last week this Dec. 2023. No stop order for me. Since the stop order was placed Oct. 19 2023, I would assume the trucks affected range goes from the date the factories started to make the 2024 models (end of Sept.) till the stop delivery date was issued (Oct. 19th). Because why would they continue to make known bad roofs after they knew about the issue, which was Oct. 19th... memo > https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2023/MC-10245350-0001.pdf
I’ll be curious how this works out. My understanding is the stop sale is in place for all Silverado and Sierra 1500 models and they have to be inspected one by one before they can be sold no matter when they were built.

I’ll be curious how this works out. My understanding is the stop sale is in place for all Silverado and Sierra 1500 models and they have to be inspected one by one before they can be sold no matter when they were built.
that makes no sense. How can they put a number out there of around 3K affected units if every one of them needs inspected? And the dealers know the vin range of affected units. Dealers were told to check the trucks they have on their lot for any within the vin range and to fix those before the sale. Why would a truck need inspected if it is outside of the vin range.? Also, the stop ship date was announced back in Oct. 19th (around), that would mean they knew about it at that time. Your saying they continued to build them even after they knew about the problem? I know corporate stupidity is alive and well, but I would hate to think GM is that stupid to knowingly keep producing inferior products with a issue like this, before a fix is arrived at, at the production level.

that makes no sense. How can they put a number out there of around 3K affected units if every one of them needs inspected? And the dealers know the vin range of affected units. Dealers were told to check the trucks they have on their lot for any within the vin range and to fix those before the sale. Why would a truck need inspected if it is outside of the vin range.? Also, the stop ship date was announced back in Oct. 19th (around), that would mean they knew about it at that time. Your saying they continued to build them even after they knew about the problem? I know corporate stupidity is alive and well, but I would hate to think GM is that stupid to knowingly keep producing inferior products with a issue like this, before a fix is arrived at, at the production level.
Right, I would think they have narrowed it down and fixed those ones. However, we were told the Stop Sale is still in effect and they don't have a date when they will lift that. That's what I know at this time.

Right, I would think they have narrowed it down and fixed those ones. However, we were told the Stop Sale is still in effect and they don't have a date when they will lift that. That's what I know at this time.
Picked mine up end of december. It was closing time when dealer called to tell me it just arrived, so I picked it up next day. I went to dealer the nite he called after they had already closed to see it. It still had the plastic on outside of it and inside. Fresh off the delivery truck. Since the factory is not fixing these split roofs issue and letting it up to the dealer, There is no way the dealer checked my truck physically, since I went there 1 hour after they opened their doors the next day to pick it up. They have the vin list of bad trucks and went off of that. So there is no stop sale and they are not physically checking all the trucks.

Back