2023 Ram 1500 - Just a warning some trucks are not pre-wired for bed lighting

James-kd2cm

Just in case someone else runs into this. I purchased my Ram sport (Canada) crew cab in august 2023. I recently did some research to see if I could add the OEM bed lights. Unfortunately, my truck was not pre-wired for bed lighting. Apparently there are 2 possible wiring harnesses. As a result… if I went OEM I would need to change the wiring harness (much too expensive for just a set of bed lights). If it was pre-wired I would just need the OEM lights themselves.
I can splice into other lighting for power but this would probably create a fault detected by the computer.
For now, I’ll probably skip the bed lighting (it wasn’t a have to have).
I’ve only added standard items ie: running boards, a bed step, under seat organizer, front seat covers, a bug deflector and a tonneau cover.
I imagine I could purchase the OEM bed lights and wire them in like you would a light bar in one of the AUX positions in the fuse box.
Just food for thought in case someone else is considering this change.

Just in case someone else runs into this. I purchased my Ram sport (Canada) crew cab in august 2023. I recently did some research to see if I could add the OEM bed lights. Unfortunately, my truck was not pre-wired for bed lighting. Apparently there are 2 possible wiring harnesses. As a result… if I went OEM I would need to change the wiring harness (much too expensive for just a set of bed lights). If it was pre-wired I would just need the OEM lights themselves.
I can splice into other lighting for power but this would probably create a fault detected by the computer.
I’ve only added standard items ie: running boards, a bed step, under seat organizer, front seat covers, a bug deflector and a tonneau cover.
I imagine I could purchase the OEM bed lights and wire them in like you would a light bar in one of the AUX positions in the fuse box.
Welcome to the forum.

Another thought is to power them from the trailer lighting circuitry. I've done that before using a toggle switch in the bed and two lengths of LED strip light down each side.

Back