$10,000 Challenge

Saddle Tramp

I have a coworker that is looking to buy a used midsized pickup truck. He doesn't need a full-sized truck anymore and a smaller truck would be easier for him to handle and be cheaper to maintain when it comes to wear items like tires, brakes, wipers, and such.

He doesn't want/need four wheel drive but an automatic transmission is a must. Regular cab or extended cab is also fine. It's just him.

I set a max mileage limit of 120,000 miles.

What would you suggest? What engine? And why did you pick this one?

I think the most important factor is how well the truck was taken care of and less what engine or vehicle. If you look at Tim's video on trucks on the road at X miles, just about all the manufacturers were pretty solid. When you buy used, how well it has been maintained and that individual truck will be the biggest factor, at least for me.

I thought about this one for a while and actually did some digging... my take is I'm glad I'm not looking for a used truck with only $10k to spend. Unfortunatley, my oldest is turning 16 this summer and I'll be doing similar reaearch soon.

I agree with the above, find one that looks to be the best taken care of with the lowest miles. I did see a handful of older Gen 2 Tacomas 2005-2007 with the 4cyl and RWD but higher miles than 120k. I think I would go a higher mileage Toyota that was taken care of over a lower mile domestic or Nissan of that era.

Try to find a one owner truck with maintenance records and clean CarFax. You will pay more but you are getting piece of mind knowing the truck was well maintained and care for.

Back